• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Karl Hess

Ohhhhhh, so now everything the conference does is infallible.

seh6p.gif

Buddy-Christ.jpg

If the conference thought it warranted a reprimand, I suspect it did. Would think they would be loath to take any action.

Not a Karl Hess fan, but this is Much Ado About Nothing.

I don't know Donald. I appreciate your measured insights into the workings of the higher (roller) end of Deacon fandom as much as anyone. But I think you are off on this one. Karl Hess, whatever his inheritance or lack there of, has repeatedly proven himself to be an arrogant jerk. Contrary to some others, I think his officiating abilities are greatly undermined by his ego and the resultant tendency to meddle in games too much. (His tweet says a lot about his ego.) Don't demean yourself defending the antics of this jerk. He needs to be brought down a couple of pegs, that's pretty obvious to everyone, save maybe TheReff.

Karl Hess' greatest contribution may be elevating the legacy of Lenny Wirtz

Hess wasn't reprimanded for ejecting either of them. He was reprimanded for not doing it through the proper protocol, thus meaning it was warranted.

Hess wasn't reprimanded for ejecting either of them. He was reprimanded for not doing it through the proper protocol, thus meaning it was warranted.

i.e., that arrogant SOB wanted the whole arena to see him kick them out and embarrass them, rather than letting security handle it discreetly.

When Karl Hess makes you wish Lenny Wirtz was reffing the game, you know he is an awful ref.

I have a terrible memory, but I recall almost actually having a stroke when Wirtz (I think) called hanging on the rim against us and we lost a key game. Anyone have video of this?

I have a terrible memory, but I recall almost actually having a stroke when Wirtz (I think) called hanging on the rim against us and we lost a key game. Anyone have video of this?

That may have been Charlie Thomas hanging in the rim. There was another player on the floor underneath him, but that didn't keep a tech from getting called. It was at the end of the game, but I don't remember if Wirtz made the call.

Last edited:
Looks like DR made a drive-by comment and is not going to share what was said... Or maybe he is too busy to come back - I think he has a real job.

In any event, I think there should be VERY, VERY few situations under which an official can have a spectator removed from a game. For throwing something on the floor, maybe, or making actual threats of bodily harm. Other than that, about anything else is fair game. Refs, like players, must have thick skins.

And, unfortunately, that call was probably technically correct - at the time there was no exception to the rule for hanging on for safety because someone was under you. Of course, many officials would have exercised a little discretion in that case, seeing that someone was under him, and swallowed their whistle. But not when UNC is on the brink of defeat, of course.

And, unfortunately, that call was probably technically correct - at the time there was no exception to the rule for hanging on for safety because someone was under you. Of course, many officials would have exercised a little discretion in that case, seeing that someone was under him, and swallowed their whistle. But not when UNC is on the brink of defeat, of course.

You are spot on. And I think the change to the "hanging on the rim" rule was specifically made as a result of the call in this game.

Haha. There's also an article in this paper about Dean Smith getting a speeding ticket on his way back from UVA. I've heard on a couple occasions that the state trooper who gave him a ticket had played football at Wake Forest. He was from Roanoke, but I can't remember his name.

Larry Bishop

Back