• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ongoing US GOP Debacle Thread: Seditious Republicans march toward authoritarianism

That's actually a seat that could turn. Other than Will Hurd's, most of the others are likely to stay GOP seats.

That's not a joke, that's just twisted, especially given all of the current security concerns over the possibility of violence and mail/package bombs being sent or delivered to public officials. It also smacks of mob tactics - I'm surprised the NRCC just didn't go ahead and send them horse's heads instead. It would have delivered the same message - we'll do anything to protect Dear Leader! Yet Nunes and other Congressional Republicans are the ones calling Democrats a cult who are capable of anything? LOL.

Last edited:
Ongoing US GOP Debacle Thread: Embracing Trumpism/White Supremacy

I knew Kristol was Never Trump but I didn’t realize he was openly questioning his conservative beliefs. Lots of good comments there. I and most of my friends from my 20s are more liberal now. That includes pastors, deacons, pretty much all religious folks.

Last edited:

Yep

At least the last part, assuming at some earlier point you embraced conservatism.

If you transform in some quantum fashion into a conservative in your older age, you’re just a turd.

Yep

At least the last part, assuming at some earlier point you embraced conservatism.

If you transform in some quantum fashion into a conservative in your older age, you’re just a turd.

Much of that believe in getting older and getting more conservative isn't an age effect, it's a cohort effect. This belief got hardened (at least in my lifetime) as society as a whole moved in Reagan-era conservatism. So yeah, there were people who were in their 20s who were shaped by the Civil Rights era and women's movement and also shaped by the Reagan era in their 40s and now they're in their 70s and run the country.

To (sort of) paraphrase chris rock. They love not to know things.

I always think about Julian's mom in Everything That Rises Must Converge when I think about older conservatives.

Republicans remind me of a home infested with bugs. I see a few different types of Republicans.

Some of them realize the home is infested. They go to the blue house down the street and ask “Hey I know we haven’t gotten along in the past but my home is infested. Do you mind if I crash here for a bit while it gets fumigated? This is temporary. I’ll sleep on the couch or floor or wherever.“

Others go to the blue house and bang on the door shouting “Let me in! You need to let me in! But I’ll only stay if you redesign the house like I want it! If you don’t, I’ll bang on your door every night!”

Others realize the whole red property is bug infested and the problem won’t go away. They go to the blue house and ring the doorbell and say, “Pardon me. I’m from the red house down the street. I’ve been meaning to introduce myself for awhile now. Things got so bad over there that I decided to just come over now. Is it OK if I stay here? I don’t mean to be a bother. I’ll pick up after myself and do some chores. I can even help build an addition to the house if need be. Just let me know.”

Then you have people who stay in the red house and refuse to fumigate. They’ll tell anyone who listens “Our house is fine! The blue house is really the house with the bug problem!”

And then there are the bugs.

Because when you honor the victims of genocide, it’s good to include the killers as well.

Back