• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

wedding party cost question

I don't remember entrees, but I went to a wedding like 8 years ago that brought out grilled cheese and some other little greasy nibbles after a couple hours of dancing (and drinking). I still think about that at every other wedding I attend, and definitely want to do something similar if I get married.

That's a fun idea if you can pull it off. I had a similar experience; I think they were serving sliders and fries for late night / after party munchies before the reception ended.

Hell yeah, get that layer of grease in your gut to aid in the hangover dump for the next morning.

I think our food was good enough to be talked about in a positive way that evening, but not necessarily something to remember. The booze was plentiful enough that everyone had a good time. But the things people still mention are the band (like they remember the name of the band 4 years later and how much fun they were), the after party (we had a post-reception shindig in the hotel with booze, coffee, mini corndogs and sliders, etc), and the photo booth. And we're of course glad we splurged on the photographer.

I don't remember entrees, but I went to a wedding like 8 years ago that brought out grilled cheese and some other little greasy nibbles after a couple hours of dancing (and drinking). I still think about that at every other wedding I attend, and definitely want to do something similar if I get married.

That's a fun idea if you can pull it off. I had a similar experience; I think they were serving sliders and fries for late night / after party munchies before the reception ended.

Hell yeah, get that layer of grease in your gut to aid in the hangover dump for the next morning.

This is definitely getting more popular.

At our wedding once the band was over and the official "reception" was ended, we moved everyone back to the hotel's atrium and had food and drinks (as mentioned above).

But since then I've been to parties where they brought out pizza and a gelato cart late night. And where they've done passed sliders/fries. One brought out cheesesteaks. And I think at least one other similar thing that I'm forgetting.

That's cool for you and everything, but I don't think what she was saying.

feel free to read the rest of her post. saying
Seems silly to be like "if we were paying we'd do it this way but since our parents are paying we need the deluxe version."
and
have enough respect for your contributing parents to not take advantage.
not to mention
If you can't pay for the wedding without help, you don't need that wedding.
. where's rj when you need someone to latch on to a few words in a post and ignore the actual intent. but your version is good too so that's cool for you and everything.

We did a guest list and just aunts uncles and cousins gets us to 108 people. That's before a single friend we want there is invited. With her in grad school and me having worked full time for just over two years thanks to the economy and going back to school and trying to pay down debt it is unrealistic that we would be able to afford a wedding without a little bit of help from somewhere.

that's what my parents are doing for my sister's wedding but it'll be breakfast. my parents used to belong to a Mardi Gras krewe and that's a tradition at Mardi Gras balls in our hometown.

feel free to read the rest of her post. saying and not to mention . where's rj when you need someone to latch on to a few words in a post and ignore the actual intent. but your version is good too so that's cool for you and everything.

I'll leave it to chic to come and clarify her remarks once she's not half in the bag.

I mean, I think I was saying something in between. I don't think you have to have a KFC wedding (and I think if your parents want to have their friends there, then that's a different story as to them contributing) but I think the parts that deaconson linked above get at the true heart of what I was saying. Don't take advantage, don't have a deluxe version just because you aren't paying and to some extent, put on your big boy pants, pay for your own shit and appreciate when you get help.

Oh yeah. Been to one of those as well. Nom nom nom. Also seen it done with grits and mac and cheese.

Same.

There was also a wedding that had The Varsity deliver late night snacks. I've also been to one where Waffle House showed up w/ waffle irons and hashbrowns.

A wedding I went to had a platter of McDoubles and a chick fil a nugget tray among the otherwise fancy wedding buffet food. Glorious.

This is definitely getting more popular.

At our wedding once the band was over and the official "reception" was ended, we moved everyone back to the hotel's atrium and had food and drinks (as mentioned above).

But since then I've been to parties where they brought out pizza and a gelato cart late night. And where they've done passed sliders/fries. One brought out cheesesteaks. And I think at least one other similar thing that I'm forgetting.

Every wedding I go to I'm always starving an hour after the mediocre dinner, and then I end up eating at some greasy spoon or ordering overpriced room service. My fiancee has a high school friend who's a big time chef, so he's doing the catering for an awesome price. And afterwards we're having a taco truck. :dancindeac:

We did a guest list and just aunts uncles and cousins gets us to 108 people. That's before a single friend we want there is invited. With her in grad school and me having worked full time for just over two years thanks to the economy and going back to school and trying to pay down debt it is unrealistic that we would be able to afford a wedding without a little bit of help from somewhere.

That's cool for you and everything, but I don't think what she was saying.

I think if someone offers to help with your wedding, that's fine. My fiancee's comes from a culture where friends and family offer to chip in bits and pieces, and if people really want to contribute something we're happy to let them. But the plan has been to pay for this ourselves. We're trying to stay below 10K, but we're three months out and I'm not optimistic.

Should I change this thread title to encompass all things wedding?

I'm getting married in two weeks

Hopefully it goes well

There will be late night tacos and shot glass of milk/chocolate chip cookies

I should add that I asked my parents, "hey, parents of the groom pay for the honeymoon, right?" My mom nearly laughed me off the phone.

i went to a wedding this past summer that had four food trucks come in lieu of any caterers, and it was AWESOME. they had a burger, pizza, and taco truck come, and each truck had a "his" and "hers" meal choice. each meal was pretty small, so you could try a few things if you wanted (like the burger truck brought sliders and fries). then for dessert, they had an ice cream truck. it was adorable, super yummy, and apparently decently affordable.

I paid for my wedding, but not the rehearsal dinner. The benefit was that it allowed me to get married in my hometown instead of bumblefuck Kentucky. The downside was the $20K or so I dropped to pay for it.

Back to wedding stories. I was invited to a wedding where I only loosely knew the bride and groom- they were friends of a buddy of mine, I had met them 3-4 times, and for whatever reason they invited me and a couple other friends of my buddy. The wedding was in scenic Rock Hill, SC. with the reception at the local community college. Best part was they, like some others here, bought all the booze. I met the bride's parents like 10 minutes before the reception ended. For whatever reason, they suggested I should be in charged of transporting the remaining booze back to the hotel- and when I say "hotel" I mean "Super 8." So we take about 6-8 handles of booze back to the hotel, continue to get ripped, and I somewhat successfully hook-up with a girl in the back of a Pontiac convertible (Sunbird?).

A bunch of us decide to go across the street to Waffle House at like 3 in the morning, As we are walking out of the hotel, we ran across another guy we knew heading towards the ice machine. He came along. Figured out later that he had been sent to get some ice by his girlfriend, had walked across the road in his socks, and still had the ice bucket with him. Came back and found another wedding attendee peeing in the hallway.

1st Class wedding all the way.

Question for dudes.

1st Anniversary is supposed to be "paper" or "clocks."

Any ideas from y'all would be appreciated.

I know you are asking dudes, but I'm chiming in anyway :)

I know a number of people that have gifted tickets as a first anniversary paper present - and this is flexible enough it could be tickets to a play, a concert, plane tickets to a vacation, etc etc etc.

And for my husband I got this (and think maybe I originally found out about it through Chic?!), but I think this could be a good gift to either husband or wife:

Custom illustrated house portrait

il_570xN.299410433.jpg

Looks like this particular seller isn't in business anymore, but you could find something similar I'm sure.

Back