• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

"The Coliseum vs. "The Joel"

It was a great deal for wake. Reality is we aren't going to build a new on campus arena. Carolina going to replace the dean dome anytime soon? Same age.

Joel's actually about five years younger.

Dean's Dome opened in January 1986. LJVM opened in Aug 1989.

Wake's opening night at the Joel was on 11/11/89- remember it well because I had a choice of going to the game or getting married on that day....tough choice, but I believe that I chose wisely, or at least my wife of now 25 years thinks so!:)

Wake's opening night at the Joel was on 11/11/89- remember it well because I had a choice of going to the game or getting married on that day....tough choice, but I believe that I chose wisely, or at least my wife of now 25 years thinks so!:)

You went to the game, didn't you!

We picked a bye week during football for our wedding.

Still have the coin they gave out opening night.

r2usf6.jpg
[/IMG]

Reverse has an image of the Coliseum with the date: Nov. 11, 1989

^ Have the same coin. IIRC correctly, there was a laser show opening act.

Eventually, student housing will be built on the East campus, which will provide an incredible experience for the students and student-athletes that live there.

Not in our lifetimes if the article in the current OG&B correctly reflects campus attitudes bemoaning the undergrad student body growth to 4,800 and contending any further enrollment growth makes the school too big by destroying the small community feel which make WF unique and special.

Not in our lifetimes if the article in the current OG&B correctly reflects campus attitudes bemoaning the undergrad student body growth to 4,800 and contending any further enrollment growth makes the school too big by destroying the small community feel which make WF unique and special.

That article actually seemed to be pretty strongly going in the opposite direction. Had a lot of people that pointed out that before every expansion, people worried that it would destroy the community, and it didn't. Quotes from the provost made it seem like at least some more expansion was inevitable.

Hatch has said in a WF Magazine interview several months back that he has capped undergrad enrollment at the 4800 number.

Just to clarify for us old guys who don't get back to W-S enough, is there a student shuttle yet to take the kids to the game so they don't have to arrange for transportation? IIRC, this is something that does happen, but now I'm not sure. I know there are a lot more student amenities compared to the mid-90s although I can't complain as I enrolled right after the following were already completed and had a little age on them: Benson, Olin, the Joel. But as a student who loved CBB, I never had an issue finding a ride to the game.

Yes, there is a shuttle, or at least I have seen one unloading right out front this year a few times.

Just to clarify for us old guys who don't get back to W-S enough, is there a student shuttle yet to take the kids to the game so they don't have to arrange for transportation? IIRC, this is something that does happen, but now I'm not sure. I know there are a lot more student amenities compared to the mid-90s although I can't complain as I enrolled right after the following were already completed and had a little age on them: Benson, Olin, the Joel. But as a student who loved CBB, I never had an issue finding a ride to the game.

I was there through 2012 and only recall once that there was a shuttle to a basketball game (I think it was supposed to ice or something). There was always one that ran for football games.

The shuttle to games has come and gone over the years. Not hard to imagine it wasn't worth the money in the Bz years.

Yes, there is a shuttle, or at least I have seen one unloading right out front this year a few times.

There are shuttles, but not a big bus like they use for football, so students have to wait a while sometimes. I hope they do the free pizza/heated tent thing now that the students are back. Maybe that will help, but if they don't show for Carolina, they aren't gonna show.

Back