• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Stan Cotten

blackngold35

Reaction score
Saw on the Wake website where he won NC Sportscaster of the year for the third time. Stan and Dinger do a great job - certainly better than the Brando/Brandt crap on ACC network and miles ahead of the ESPN3 crowd.

Not to sidetrack, but none of them can hold a candle to the late, great Gene Overby. BOTTOMS!!!

Hard to believe he's been gone 25 years. RIP Gene.

Gene will always be the voice of the Deacs, but Stan is damn good and we're lucky to have him.

I love some Stan Cotten. Every time he gets on the air I know it is going to be a good one win or lose. Great guy too!

We've been blessed with good play by play callers. Mac McDonald was good too-

"Childress for three!"

Agree that we've had some really good guys...Mac was very good and was able to practice his craft during the Childress/Duncan years. Came to us from UVA and left us to go back. He had some issues at UVA which led to him leaving

Agree that we've had some really good guys...Mac was very good and was able to practice his craft during the Childress/Duncan years. Came to us from UVA and left us to go back. He had some issues at UVA which led to him leaving

Out the blue I wondered what happened to him a few years ago. I only checked long enough to see if he was still there (as you point out, he's not). Never heard why. He was good when he was here, but I prefer the silky delivery of Bill Urbanik of any of them.

I listened last night because we were blacked out on ESPN3 and VT and UVA games trumped here in DC. Very good call from Stan and Dinger. Was enjoyable.

Out the blue I wondered what happened to him a few years ago. I only checked long enough to see if he was still there (as you point out, he's not). Never heard why. He was good when he was here, but I prefer the silky delivery of Bill Urbanik of any of them.

Bill wasn't born with a voice for the radio no doubt, but he knows football and was one of the most knowledgeable analysts we've had on the radio.

Stan is very good at what he does and an even better man. It is good to have guys stick with a program for a long time.

Looks like Mac jumped around hosting his own radio shows for a few years, then packed it up and moved to Florida. Working for a golf academy now - http://twitter.com/gmac65

the google is an amazing thing - you should look into it, rattler.

Last edited:
Growing up in North Carolina, there are some iconic voices that I have listened to on the radio over the past 30 years. Jeff Charles, Woody Durham, Bob Harris, Gary Dornberg, Gary Hahn, etc... I can tell you that Stan gives more information and is more on point with his calls than any of them. Some of his calls from the 2006 football season are some of the best! Congrats Stan, very well deserved!

Must admit that one of my favorite "voices" is the guy who calls FSU games. Iconic.

Growing up in North Carolina, there are some iconic voices that I have listened to on the radio over the past 30 years. Jeff Charles, Woody Durham, Bob Harris, Gary Dornberg, Gary Hahn, etc... I can tell you that Stan gives more information and is more on point with his calls than any of them. Some of his calls from the 2006 football season are some of the best! Congrats Stan, very well deserved!

Bob Harris is the worst.

Woody Durham was awful too. He would make a call "It's first and 10 from the Carolina 20. There's the snap. The hand off is to Means. He gets a block, makes a great move and bursts through the line!!!! And that brings up 2 down and 8 for the Heels."

Back