• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Mr. Cub Dies

Shorty

Boomer Boy
Reaction score
Ernie Banks passed away yesterday at the age of 83. First African American to wear a Cub uniform and a true ambassador for the game. I grew up a Mets fan, but loved Ernie. Everyone did.

RIP

Totally agree, Bob. One of my favorite Ernie stories isn't really about Ernie directly. It took place during the Miracle Mets 1969 run to the first ever NLCS and ultimately the World Series. As most know, in August, the Cubs were 14 games in front of the Mets, but over the last month-and-a-half of the season, the Mets went nuts and the Cubs collapsed.

The schedule had the Mets finishing the season with three in Chicago. At one point when the teams were close in the standings, Ed Kranepool (yes, that Ed Kranepool) was quoted as saying he'd love to go into the last game with a three game lead and say to Ernie Banks, "It's a great day to play two, Ernie."

The Mets went into the last game with an eight game lead, but nobody said a word to Ernie. They all felt bad for him. Ernie always talked about how much he wanted to play in the World Series. It's a shame he never got a chance.

Tis sad to say a final farewell to the man who personified the Cubs. RIP, Ernie.

Pure class. Always saw the glass half full and carried himself with dignity. I appreciated him setting the record straight about why the Cubs folded in 1969 in a recent SI issue. RIP, Ernie.

Back