• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Democratic Candidates for POTUS, 2016 edition

Apparently Martin O'Malley will throw his hat in the ring. He is deciding not to run for Milkulski's Senate Seat. Seams like a bad move to me, but what do I know?

Yeah. I posted a poll of Iowa Democrats earlier in this thread in which he close to 0% support.

But the race needs a not Hillary.

So is Joe Biden going to ride off into the sunset in 2016?

I would be very intrigued by a Jim Webb candidacy.

Hillary is claiming that since she always emailed other government employees on their own .gov accounts, that was enough to satisfy records keeping requirements.

Yeah, this seems like a guy that is selling himself. I'm interested in reading more. (Agree with Ph that we need a not-Hillary option.)

O'Malley is a musician and was active in several bands and as a solo act in the Washington and Baltimore areas starting in the early 1980s. He is the vocalist/guitarist/songwriter of Celtic rock band "O'Malley's March" since 1988.

haha

Hillary is claiming that since she always emailed other government employees on their own .gov accounts, that was enough to satisfy records keeping requirements.

Ugh, senior officials who decide on their own over what qualifies as property security or reporting are the fucking worst. They just do whatever the fuck they want.

Anyone who has ever worked in the finance, medical or government worlds in IT knows this.

Fucking #OLDS

Wait, this was a change she made to coincide with becoming SoS?

The timing of it makes it look worse if that is indeed the email account she used for government business.

Let's just pretend that is true (which I'm not sure it is) that doesn't even come close to providing the records for her correspondences with non-.gov accounts. Surely she emailed people that were not official government employees. It's just such a bad explanation from her camp.

Yeah, this seems like a guy that is selling himself. I'm interested in reading more. (Agree with Ph that we need a not-Hillary option.)

One big difference between Pubs and Dems is we just don't see a lot of Dems run for purely self-promotion purposes a la Herman Cain.

She and her staff seem to be reliving the same fuck ups from 2008 all over again. Did they learn nothing from that experience?

She and her staff seem to be reliving the same fuck ups from 2008 all over again. Did they learn nothing from that experience?

No. Her book tour was amateur hour too.

So her personal e-mail accounts are going to be subpoenaed?

Maybe time to loose another %$&^K emails.

Is clintonemail.com a Clinton Foundation domain?

So wait, the rules about document retention didn't go into effect until 2014?

Hillary Email ‘Scandal’? Not So Fast

Well, this might be the explanation: The new regs apparently weren’t fully implemented by State until a year and half after Clinton left State. Here’s the timeline: Clinton left the State Department on February 1, 2013. Back in 2011, President Obama had signed a memorandum directing the update of federal records management. But the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA) didn’t issue the relevant guidance, declaring that email records of senior government officials are permanent federal records, until August 2013. Then, in September 2013, NARA issued guidance on personal email use.

A senior State Department official emailed me to say that “in October 2014, a Department-wide notice was sent out which explained each employee’s responsibilities for records management. Consistent with 2013 NARA guidance, it included instructions that generally employees should not use personal email for the transaction of government business, but that in the very limited circumstances when it is necessary, all records must be forwarded to a government account or otherwise preserved in the Department’s electronic records systems.”

Yeah, it is crazy that they weren't required to use a government email until 2014. But this seems like a bit of a hack job by the NY Times. This is from the Gawker piece in 2013:

And why was Clinton apparently receiving emails at a non-governmental email account? The address Blumenthal was writing to was hosted at the domain "clintonemail.com" (we're not going to publish everybody's email address!), which is privately registered via Network Solutions. It is most certainly not a governmental account.

Staffers in the Bush White House famously used private email accounts to conduct government business as a way to circumvent the Presidential Records Act, which mandates that all official communications be archived. Republicans are suspicious that the Obama White House is continuing the practice; Rep. Darrell Issa is currently investigating it.

Link

And this from 2012:

GOP asks White House for details of personal email use

His Lieutenant Gov was beaten by 5 points (by a nobody Republican) in a state that Obama took by 25 points. Marylanders were sick of his bullshit. He is an uber-tax and spend Dem.

I wonder how the State Department relates to DHS as far as email goes. For a while under DHS, the official encrypted email solution was heavily delayed and poorly implemented. I mean, even now we only encrypt a small percentage of emails and there's no support for any encryption to outside sources. Higher up folks were cleared, and in many cases encouraged, to use private email services that supported things like two-factor authentication and encryption. The executive level email retention methods were all ad-hoc until pretty recently. Every department is supposed to retain all email on the server side but that also was hugely delayed and has proven unreliable.

What's funny is that a number of government officials have gotten in trouble assuming that their gov email is tracked but their gmail, hotmail, or personal mail accessed in a browser isn't. Most privileged accounts have profiles that pull data from all web browser sessions, and private companies often have much better retention and recovery capabilities. The Patraeus gmails are a pretty good example.

Back