• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chicago Cubs Thread - Playoff Push Pending

In other news, the MLB is hearing the grievance from KB this week about the Cubs delaying his FA by keeping him in AAA in 2015. If KB wins, would alter all of MLB in regards to service time, would also make KB a free agent after this year.

Welcome back Grandpa Rossy.

Not sure I like this. Obviously we don't have insight on whether Girardi or Estrada would take the job, but both of those strike me as the type of hire that should have been made. Maybe Ross will prove terrific, but out of the shoot I'm skeptical he can really bring an objective set of fresh eyes to many of the players on the roster right now.

Cubs officially announce Ross as manager. If he can get the players together as a team he will accomplish one of Theo's goals. Wait and see on everything else as he has little experience. Dave Martinez proved to be a good manager but he had years of experience as a bench coach.

For the past few years the Cubs have acquired veteran players to fill roles and provide clubhouse leadership and direction. Zobrist, Jay, Montero, Fowler, Coghlan, Descalso and Ross have all made contributions. In season acquisitions like Castellanos and Murphy have made an impact.

Rizzo, Bryant, Baez, Schwarber and Russell were all contributing members when the team made the playoffs in 2015. Contreras, Almora and Heyward joined them in 2016 and won a championship. They should now be the veteran leaders on the field and in the clubhouse. They may be relatively young but all of them have been there and done that as far as baseball experience goes. Some of them may leave this off season. Leadership will be expected of them if they join other organizations. It should be expected of them if they remain. No excuses.

Rumors of the Cubs shopping Quintana and his 1/$11.5 deal. Not sure I see the value in that unless we are trading away some other pieces to get another starter or are going big after Cole. If Quintana is traded, we would be left with Darvish, Hendricks and Lester as 3 starters, with Chatwood as a potential 4th. Thats like a combined 2 good starters.

The Bryant stuff is gonna mess with the offseason a bit, I would assume, since the deliberation on his grievance is expected to last a couple of months, and a Bryant with 2 years versus a Bryant with 1 year left makes a big difference one who we bring in and what he could potentially fetch, if they go the trade route.

With Rizzo, Show 20 Cover Boy, Contreras, Bryant, Schwarber - we have a decent core - if Happ can be the guy he was at the end of the season, and Nico too, I think the offense will be good enough to win games. Could probably use a good OBP guy in CF or 2B to rotate with Happ/Nico, but then the rest should go to Starters and Pen. This is all assuming none of the first 5 get traded - if Bryant goes, I hope they throw the world at Rendon (maybe should anyway).

The Cubs still have financial constraints, especially when considering contract extensions to Rizzo, Bryant, Baez et al. Hiring Ross seems an attempt to improve unit cohesion and maximize the abilities of a core Theo believes in. Urging Maddon to take a hands on role failed in these areas. Ross will determine which players to keep or let go on the basis of productivity and leadership. Significant roster moves might wait until Ross can provide input and/or possible contract extensions are determined. Bryant is the big chip this winter. He won't sign an extension as long as Boros is his agent, so his future as a Cub is time limited. Sooner rather than later might be the right time to make a move.

Chris Bosio would be an upgrade as pitching coach. He got performance from pitchers who were question marks.

Last edited:
Also picked up Rizzo, which was a no brainer. Declined Graveman at $3 million and Phelps at $5 million. Phelps wasn't bad, but $5 million is probably too much. Graveman I am kinda shocked about, because they paid him to rehab his TJ and he would give real flexibility for the 5th starter role. Guessing he didn't meet whatever they were looking for in terms of progression - he was pitching rehab at the end of the season.

There is some light debate over giving Hamels a QO and just assuming you keep him at 1/$17.8 million, I am guessing they definitely won't do that, but might work to resign him for less. He could get a 2 year deal somewhere in $20-$25 range - I would prefer him on a 1 year deal, but I think he can still pitch.

I'll be surprised if Hamels gets a QO. Your numbers make sense but may be high. Age and injuries have taken a toll. Retaining Cole may not fit with the idea of retooling the roster.

I'll be surprised if Hamels gets a QO. Your numbers make sense but may be high. Age and injuries have taken a toll. Retaining Cole may not fit with the idea of retooling the roster.

There were a decent amount of comps from last year

34 year old Mike Fiers got 2/$14
37 year old JA Happ got 2/$34
35 year old Charlie Morton got 2/$30
35 year old Anibal Sanchez got 2/$19

Its still a crapshoot for now, but I think Cole fits somewhere in the middle of these - Happ and Sanchez were coming off great finishes to seasons, whereas Cole was going the other way, so you never know.

There were a decent amount of comps from last year

34 year old Mike Fiers got 2/$14
37 year old JA Happ got 2/$34
35 year old Charlie Morton got 2/$30
35 year old Anibal Sanchez got 2/$19

Its still a crapshoot for now, but I think Cole fits somewhere in the middle of these - Happ and Sanchez were coming off great finishes to seasons, whereas Cole was going the other way, so you never know.

Wanted to add - his first half was amazing, he wasnt the same after the injury, but I bet people will pay him based on his upside, because he was the best Cubs pitcher for 3 months - and still ended up with 2.5 bWAR in 27 starts, for what that is worth to you, which is roughly equal to a full year of Yu Darvish.

I agree with your analysis. I depend on most of the info you provide because your interests are different than mine and you are a die hard Cub fan.

I'm ambivalent about the course of action the front office will take this off season. There is a strong core of position players capable of a championship. Add a couple of key pieces in trade to balance the offense and tighten the defense. Happ, Almora, Russell and Bote are still young and capable of solving the problems at 2B and CF if properly handled. But the team has been going in the wrong direction for three years and more aggressive measures might be necessary to change direction. Big names may need to move to accomplish that goal. Who gets moved may depend on who is willing to sign a long term contract and the cost of that contract as well as who brings the greatest return in value. The answers are probably in between the two extremes.

Pitching must be improved, either from within or from outside of the organization.

Last edited:
Cole Hamels was not tendered a qualifying offer by the Cubs. He expressed interest in returning to the Cubs.

Back