Page 274 of 293 FirstFirst ... 174224264269270271272273274275276277278279284 ... LastLast
Results 5,461 to 5,480 of 5854

Thread: 2020 Chicago Cubs Thread 60 Games Here We Go

  1. #5461
    I tried to watch this afternoon's game between the Mariners and the Cubs. ESPN made it unwatchable. Eight innings of nonstop trivel from the announcers without any description of the action being shown on the screen. The worst broadcast I have ever experienced. MLB should demand ESPN use the broadcasting crews provided by teams. Terrible experience.

    If healthy, I expect Rizzo, Baez and Bryant to have great seasons. It's all about the $$$.

  2. #5462
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackjackMc View Post
    I tried to watch this afternoon's game between the Mariners and the Cubs. ESPN made it unwatchable. Eight innings of nonstop trivel from the announcers without any description of the action being shown on the screen. The worst broadcast I have ever experienced. MLB should demand ESPN use the broadcasting crews provided by teams. Terrible experience.

    If healthy, I expect Rizzo, Baez and Bryant to have great seasons. It's all about the $$$.
    I thought this same thing. I was driving and listening to the broadcast and kept saying shut the hell up and tell me what is happening.

    I miss the days when announcers called the game and had relevant banter.

  3. #5463
    Dickie Hemric
    DaDeacs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Hudson River
    Posts
    19,423
    The Brewers did what I wanted the Cubs to do - add JBJ in center, Kolten Wong at 2nd in team friendly short term deals. If Woodruff and Burnes stay healthy and they have even one other SP show something, the Brewers are going to be tough to contend with - 7/8/9 of Suter, Williams and Hader (assuming the keep Suter in the pen), solid offense with Cain back and, what should be, a great defense.

  4. #5464
    Watching Tuesday's game vs. Royals. MLB network has advantages. Boog Sciambi has a great voice as an announcer and seems to work well with JD. I got that bad taste from The ESPN broadcast out of my mouth.

    Cubs should be competitive. The defense should be good with an upgrade in LF and 2B. Hoerner's glove should prevail in the 2B contest, especially with the starter's pitching to contact.

  5. #5465

  6. #5466
    Dickie Hemric
    DaDeacs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Hudson River
    Posts
    19,423
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackjackMc View Post
    Watching Tuesday's game vs. Royals. MLB network has advantages. Boog Sciambi has a great voice as an announcer and seems to work well with JD. I got that bad taste from The ESPN broadcast out of my mouth.

    Cubs should be competitive. The defense should be good with an upgrade in LF and 2B. Hoerner's glove should prevail in the 2B contest, especially with the starter's pitching to contact.
    AAA being pushed back a month almost guarantees Nico will be starting 2B unless something crazy happens. He has hit well in spring so far too, which is even better.

    Sounds like Jake looked ok, I didn't catch the game, but sounds like he is crafty veteran territory with a 91-92 FB - gonna have to work with weak contact all year. Didn't miss a lot of bats.

    Alzolay and Kimbrel had the only bad outings so far for the staff that is expected to make the team. Assuming its a hiccup, Ross has said Kimbrel has looked good and will start as the closer. Worried if Adbert doesn't have a good outing before the season starts, he might get left off - Shelby Miller and Mills both looked pretty good in SSS one game so far. But, with Hendricks, Davies, Jake, Williams likely locked in - would assume only 2 of these guys make the team, one as starter and one as long relief or bullpen game/6th starter role.

  7. #5467
    Hoerner has started well. Vargas is in RF this afternoon. He has had a nice spring. I have wondered when Ross would put one of the 2B candidates in the outfield. I like all three to make the team.

    I like the emphasis on making contact and reducing strikeouts. Tired of watching hitters get behind taking fat first pitch strikes and getting behind in the count.

  8. #5468
    Dickie Hemric
    DaDeacs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Hudson River
    Posts
    19,423
    Lots of bullpen battles still going on - and with Jeffress recently released by the Nats, wondering if the Cubs throw a minor league deal at him. Wick, Wieck and Ryan haven't pitched yet - the guys with MLB contracts and no options are Kimbrel, Workman, Tepara, Chafin and Winkler (I think, he might still have 1). 2 or 3 spots left - assume one goes to a long reliever type, so the remaining two spots are going to a grab bag of Megill, Holder, Stock, Adam, Rucker and Brothers. Brothers would add another lefty, Megill has some nice pub recently about ramping his FB up to 99 and adding a knuckle curve, Stock throws 100+, Adam proved capable last year.

    Not saying the pen are world beaters, but has a chance to be a real effective piece of the team if Kimbrel and Workman can anchor the 8th / 9th. Which is definitely a big if.

    Also, agree with the above. The locks for the 4-5 bench options are Bote, Romine and Marisnick with MLB contracts - Vargas has the inside track for the 4th spot. If they keep 5, would be surprised if it isn't Maybin, unless he continues to have a horrible spring. Sogard is the likely other vet option, but we haven't seen him yet - but he's played all over the field in his career, just a matter of seeing if he can still hit.

  9. #5469
    Thanks for the contract info on the bullpen. Difficult to sort out when 21 pitchers have yet to give up a run. There are three weeks of spring training left and it may take that long to make decisions. The key is Kimbrel. If he is good the BP will be OK.

  10. #5470
    Dickie Hemric
    DaDeacs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Hudson River
    Posts
    19,423
    New interview with Ross says they might keep 9 relievers and 4 bench bats. Which is insane.

    Would guess that leaves Maybin and Sogard as the odd men out, unless Marisnick has to go on the DL. Feels a bit silly to only keep 3 non-catcher bats, but maybe they aren't confident enough in anyone behind Kyle to go more than 5-6 innings and think they can get by with the starting 8 for the first month+ of the season until things start to shake out.

  11. #5471
    Insane describes it well.

    12 position players is insufficient unless the DH is employed. Ross may learn this the first time he has an extra inning game and has run out of players. Maybe not. Madden never did and it probably cost the Cubs several wins each year.

    Are relievers still required to face three batters unless the inning ends?

  12. #5472
    Dickie Hemric
    DaDeacs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Hudson River
    Posts
    19,423
    MLB released its new Cubs top 30 prospect list. All 4 of the prospects from the Darvish trade show up at 11, 12, 20 and 25. Interesting to see the IFA they just picked up, Hernandez, coming in at #4. Still excited to see how Ed Howard does in his first season - he got some top 100 love from BP. Also, not sure the Cubs have 7 different teams for their SS prospects to start at. Preciado is the guy from the Darvish trade that showed up in the Fangraphs top 100 and also the Cubs compared to a young Kris Bryant - and he is likely to end up at 3B. Heres the list:

    1. Brailyn Marquez, LHP
    2. Brennen Davis, OF
    3. Miguel Amaya, C
    4. Cristian Hernandez, SS
    5. Ed Howard, SS
    6. Kohl Franklin, RHP
    7. Adbert Alzolay, RHP
    8. Christopher Morel, 3B
    9. Ryan Jensen, RHP
    10. Chase Strumpf, 2B
    11. Reggie Preciado, SS
    12. Owen Caissie, OF
    13. Cole Roederer, OF
    14. Yohendrick Pinango, OF
    15. Keegan Thompson, RHP
    16. Cory Abbott, RHP
    17. Riley Thompson, RHP
    18. Burl Carraway, LHP
    19. Kevin Made, SS
    20. Yeison Santana, SS
    21. Rafael Morel, SS
    22. Chris Clarke, RHP
    23. Ethan Hearn, C
    24. Ronnier Quintero, C
    25. Ismael Mena, OF
    26. Luis Verdugo, SS
    27. Michael McAvene, RHP
    28. Jordan Nwogu, OF
    29. D.J. Herz, LHP
    30. Brendon Little, LHP

  13. #5473
    It's a week until the season opens and plenty of decisions to make. Vargas, Bote and Hoerner are locks. All three have had outstanding springs, so the battle for a starting 2B may continue. Marisnick is a lock after a solid spring. PJ Higgins may get an opportunity if Romine isn't ready.

    Sogard, Maybin and Duffy are experienced veterans that would strengthen the bench. Miller, Ortega and Rivas have shown the ability to contribute. If the Cubs could put those six in Iowa they would have great depth, but I doubt that happens.

    Shelby Miller has kept his name in the running to start. I expect him to be on the team and for Alzolay to go to Iowa. Let Alzolay take time to round into form and limit his innings so he is able to go hard at the end of the year or if someone falters. Mills is like Bote, ready to contribute in any role. Both have earned starting roles but are so valuable in a swiss army knife capacity.

    I won't guess on the bullpen. I will say that Rex Brothers earned a spot as the second LHP in the bullpen. Great spring.

  14. #5474
    I am much more optimistic after watching this spring!

  15. #5475
    I am much more optimistic after this spring has played out.

  16. #5476
    Quote Originally Posted by DaDeacs View Post
    MLB released its new Cubs top 30 prospect list. All 4 of the prospects from the Darvish trade show up at 11, 12, 20 and 25. Interesting to see the IFA they just picked up, Hernandez, coming in at #4. Still excited to see how Ed Howard does in his first season - he got some top 100 love from BP. Also, not sure the Cubs have 7 different teams for their SS prospects to start at. Preciado is the guy from the Darvish trade that showed up in the Fangraphs top 100 and also the Cubs compared to a young Kris Bryant - and he is likely to end up at 3B. Heres the list:

    1. Brailyn Marquez, LHP
    2. Brennen Davis, OF
    3. Miguel Amaya, C
    4. Cristian Hernandez, SS
    5. Ed Howard, SS
    6. Kohl Franklin, RHP
    7. Adbert Alzolay, RHP
    8. Christopher Morel, 3B
    9. Ryan Jensen, RHP
    10. Chase Strumpf, 2B
    11. Reggie Preciado, SS
    12. Owen Caissie, OF
    13. Cole Roederer, OF
    14. Yohendrick Pinango, OF
    15. Keegan Thompson, RHP
    16. Cory Abbott, RHP
    17. Riley Thompson, RHP
    18. Burl Carraway, LHP
    19. Kevin Made, SS
    20. Yeison Santana, SS
    21. Rafael Morel, SS
    22. Chris Clarke, RHP
    23. Ethan Hearn, C
    24. Ronnier Quintero, C
    25. Ismael Mena, OF
    26. Luis Verdugo, SS
    27. Michael McAvene, RHP
    28. Jordan Nwogu, OF
    29. D.J. Herz, LHP
    30. Brendon Little, LHP
    Was Jesus Camargo on that list before his drug bust?

  17. #5477
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackjackMc View Post
    Hoerner has started well. Vargas is in RF this afternoon. He has had a nice spring. I have wondered when Ross would put one of the 2B candidates in the outfield. I like all three to make the team.

    I like the emphasis on making contact and reducing strikeouts. Tired of watching hitters get behind taking fat first pitch strikes and getting behind in the count.
    Amen

  18. #5478
    Dickie Hemric
    DaDeacs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Hudson River
    Posts
    19,423
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackjackMc View Post
    It's a week until the season opens and plenty of decisions to make. Vargas, Bote and Hoerner are locks. All three have had outstanding springs, so the battle for a starting 2B may continue. Marisnick is a lock after a solid spring. PJ Higgins may get an opportunity if Romine isn't ready.

    Sogard, Maybin and Duffy are experienced veterans that would strengthen the bench. Miller, Ortega and Rivas have shown the ability to contribute. If the Cubs could put those six in Iowa they would have great depth, but I doubt that happens.

    Shelby Miller has kept his name in the running to start. I expect him to be on the team and for Alzolay to go to Iowa. Let Alzolay take time to round into form and limit his innings so he is able to go hard at the end of the year or if someone falters. Mills is like Bote, ready to contribute in any role. Both have earned starting roles but are so valuable in a swiss army knife capacity.

    I won't guess on the bullpen. I will say that Rex Brothers earned a spot as the second LHP in the bullpen. Great spring.
    Sogard is making the decision tough, has been playing well. He and Shelby Miller are going to be the ones to keep an eye on - if they keep Miller, it will likely be in the pen, if they don't, he can opt out instead of being sent to AAA, and with his spring, he will get picked up by someone, Sogard too.

    Vargas still has options and can be sent down, so thats a possibility, but not one he'd like. Alzolay looked great last night except for one pitch to Bellinger, gets pulled and a minor leaguer gives up a 2 out single to tack the ERs onto Alzolays line, but he was dominant in the first 3 innings against the Dodgers, striking out Betts, Bellinger and the side in the 3rd. Mills also has an option left, so there is a chance Alzolay stays as the 5th starter and Mills goes down, but I doubt it. I think adbert heads to AAA and is the first called up, but we'll see.

  19. #5479
    Dickie Hemric
    DaDeacs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Hudson River
    Posts
    19,423
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttermaker View Post
    Was Jesus Camargo on that list before his drug bust?
    I don't think he ever made it on a top prospect list. He was likely headed for high-A or AA this year and it is his 7th with the team and he was 25 - so I don't think he was going anywhere. Thats a lot of meth.

  20. #5480
    Dickie Hemric
    DaDeacs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Hudson River
    Posts
    19,423
    Quote Originally Posted by DaDeacs View Post
    Sogard is making the decision tough, has been playing well. He and Shelby Miller are going to be the ones to keep an eye on - if they keep Miller, it will likely be in the pen, if they don't, he can opt out instead of being sent to AAA, and with his spring, he will get picked up by someone, Sogard too.

    Vargas still has options and can be sent down, so thats a possibility, but not one he'd like. Alzolay looked great last night except for one pitch to Bellinger, gets pulled and a minor leaguer gives up a 2 out single to tack the ERs onto Alzolays line, but he was dominant in the first 3 innings against the Dodgers, striking out Betts, Bellinger and the side in the 3rd. Mills also has an option left, so there is a chance Alzolay stays as the 5th starter and Mills goes down, but I doubt it. I think adbert heads to AAA and is the first called up, but we'll see.
    Woof. Optioning Hoerner to get an extra arb year. Sogard, Bote and Vargas have all played well, but this is pretty shifty move by the Cubs after Nico's commitment over the winter and monster spring.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •