• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Sepp the Incorruptible

If I were an IOC member, I might be resigning soon, check extradition treaties and would be looking to move to a country that doesn't extradite to the US.

Sepp, you have to have a code of ethics to violate it.

I can't wait to see what's in this dossier he turned into Swiss authorities a year ago....

if only there were threads created with which to discuss this breaking FIFA news........

Twitter rumors that Trinidad & Tobago has issued a warrant for Jack Warner's arrest and extradition to 'Murica.

Well shit, FIFA is involved in corruption, what could possibly next? Maybe we'll find out that Calipari is using ineligible players, or that Greg Hardy paid off his victim. Maybe, if things get really crazy, we'll find out that Barry Bonds used steroids.

Not only that, he's the Chairman of the Board for the NASL and the President of Traffic USA. Traffic has all but bankrolled the NASL since it started again a few years back, including owning about half the teams in the league at one point.

On Dec. 12, 2014, the defendant José Hawilla, the owner and founder of the Traffic Group, the Brazilian sports marketing conglomerate, waived indictment and pleaded guilty to a four-count information charging him with racketeering conspiracy, wire fraud conspiracy, money laundering conspiracy and obstruction of justice. Hawilla also agreed to forfeit over $151 million, $25 million of which was paid at the time of his plea.

So does this help or hurt the U.S. 2026 bid? I suppose we won't really know until we see how this all washes out over the next year or two.

I think it hurts it significantly. Starting with the 2026 World Cup, every country gets a vote on who hosts and there are a lot of federations who benefited significantly from the Blatter regime. If the U.S. is responsible for ending those benefits, I can't imagine that they will turn around and hand them the World Cup

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/s...-chuck-blazer-fbi-informant-article-1.1995761

"The most crucial Olympic ring of the 2012 London Games was a simple keychain, wired for sound and presented to top international soccer executive Chuck Blazer — a cooperating witness for federal law enforcement agents.

The corrupt and corpulent Blazer, once the sport’s No. 1 powerbroker in the United States, is alleged to have collected untold millions during his 20-year reign — running up a staggering $29 million in credit card charges to help fuel his extravagant lifestyle, which included a pricey Trump Tower apartment for his cats.

But a wide-ranging Daily News investigation revealed the feds flipped the 450-pound Blazer, who at the behest of the FBI and IRS discreetly placed his keychain — a tiny microphone embedded in its specially altered fob — on a nearby table as a parade of international figures visited Blazer at various venues, including the London Olympics....."

I think it hurts it significantly. Starting with the 2026 World Cup, every country gets a vote on who hosts and there are a lot of federations who benefited significantly from the Blatter regime. If the U.S. is responsible for ending those benefits, I can't imagine that they will turn around and hand them the World Cup

I don't think that's how the bidding process works. You're thinking of the presidential election. In the presidential election, every FIFA nation gets 1 vote. In the bidding process, the 24 ex co members get a vote, correct? You need 12 ex co votes to win the World Cup bid

I could be wrong though

I don't think that's how the bidding process works. You're thinking of the presidential election. In the presidential election, every FIFA nation gets 1 vote. In the bidding process, the 24 ex co members get a vote, correct? You need 12 ex co votes to win the World Cup bid

I could be wrong though
Correct

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/s...-chuck-blazer-fbi-informant-article-1.1995761

"The most crucial Olympic ring of the 2012 London Games was a simple keychain, wired for sound and presented to top international soccer executive Chuck Blazer — a cooperating witness for federal law enforcement agents.

The corrupt and corpulent Blazer, once the sport’s No. 1 powerbroker in the United States, is alleged to have collected untold millions during his 20-year reign — running up a staggering $29 million in credit card charges to help fuel his extravagant lifestyle, which included a pricey Trump Tower apartment for his cats.

But a wide-ranging Daily News investigation revealed the feds flipped the 450-pound Blazer, who at the behest of the FBI and IRS discreetly placed his keychain — a tiny microphone embedded in its specially altered fob — on a nearby table as a parade of international figures visited Blazer at various venues, including the London Olympics....."
Will he finish his books now?
c9d9fd24cf2ae7840d3fa14db5eddcf7.jpg

I could be wrong though

No, that's how it was in the past, but after the disaster of the 2018 & 2022 voting, they changed the process so every federation gets one vote. The theory being that it will be much more difficult for bid committees to bribe 200+ federations than 24 people.

Given how corrupt international soccer is, I'm not sure that would actually be the case though.

total noob question but why dont Europe/NA/SA pull out of FIFA if changes arent made at the top? Assuming SA is in support of Blatter?

Back