• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Coddling of the American Mind

One can do two things at once -- racists can multitask. It's pretty easy to say you're defending free speech and opposing PC culture when all you are really doing is making an excuse to defend racism. Fox News does it all the time.

Freedom of speech has an inherent value that needs protection, whether there is racism, or whether there is no racism, or any other offensive idea. Trying to fight racism is a good idea. Trying to fight racism by limiting freedom of speech is a bad idea. Confusing the defense of the freedom of speech with the defense or advocacy of racism is a counterproductive error.

So does Mizzou now have to drop their class on Jay-Z and Kanye? Two guys who have made a living off of hurling the same insult for which the failure to punish an unknown person saying it forced the president to resign, and now should prompt police involvement. In this case it is clear who says it, so is this class promoting the same racism that is do despised on campus?

http://time.com/1801/kanye-west-jay-z-class-missouri/

Freedom of speech has an inherent value that needs protection, whether there is racism, or whether there is no racism, or any other offensive idea. Trying to fight racism is a good idea. Trying to fight racism by limiting freedom of speech is a bad idea. Confusing the defense of the freedom of speech with the defense or advocacy of racism is a counterproductive error.

It's not confusing the two things when people are doing both things -- defending free speech and racism, or pretending to defend free speech in order to defend racism. Do you deny that people do that? To be clear, freedom of speech only protects you from the government, and I am against the government infringing on free speech unless it involves incitement, threats and certain other exceptions (we can debate whether this includes certain types of racist speech). If someone is defending racism by cherrypicking that issue and pretending to give a shit about freedom of speech, they are not safe from the consequences of those actions from non-governmental parties.

It's not confusing the two things when people are doing both things -- defending free speech and racism, or pretending to defend free speech in order to defend racism. Do you deny that people do that? To be clear, freedom of speech only protects you from the government, and I am against the government infringing on free speech unless it involves incitement, threats and certain other exceptions (we can debate whether this includes certain types of racist speech). If someone is defending racism by cherrypicking that issue and pretending to give a shit about freedom of speech, they are not safe from the consequences of those actions from non-governmental parties.

Interesting to see that you claim such keen insight into the thinking and intentions of others. That claim is mistaken. Instead, you can with great confidence claim that you are maliciously misconstruing the thinking of others for short-term misguided polemical purposes.

sailor, do you believe it is malicious for a white person to call a black person "nigger"?

Interesting to see that you claim such keen insight into the thinking and intentions of others. That claim is mistaken. Instead, you can with great confidence claim that you are maliciously misconstruing the thinking of others for short-term misguided polemical purposes.

So, you really think there is no one in this world who, in the name of defending free speech, actually intends to defend racism or intends to defend both? You don't think there are any racist people out there who defend the racist things they say or do by defending their right to freedom of speech? Interesting take -- government can't tell you not to say it, but I can call you ignorant.

sailor, do you believe it is malicious for a white person to call a black person "nigger"?
I don't think it's true 100% of the time. That action is very context dependent/specific.

Of course I believe that it is malicious for a white person to call a black person a "nigger." I also believe that it is malicious for a black person to call another black person - or anyone else for that matter - a "nigger." And the reason is obvious: the term "nigger" in contemporary usage is a derogatory slur. Why do you ask?

So, you really think there is no one in this world who, in the name of defending free speech, actually intends to defend racism or intends to defend both? You don't think there are any racist people out there who defend the racist things they say or do by defending their right to freedom of speech? Interesting take -- government can't tell you not to say it, but I can call you ignorant.

If you find such people, you have my blessing for taking your concerns up with them. I don't know of anyone posting on these boards, who would meet the criteria you set, namely, of using the defense of free speech in order to defend racism. In fact, I don't personally know anyone defending racism, either on these boards or elsewhere.

While I know you are trolling, too many white people believe this.
So you're saying if a white guy is hanging with a group of black friends......who are all calling each other "nigger".........it would be malicious for the white friend to do the same thing? Not buying it.

Oh, it starts with a few jokes and some slurs. "Hey, denty!" Next thing you know you're saying they should have their own schools.

Don't know if you've seen the Yale video:

The following is from Reddit:

Here's some more of the story: https://www.thefire.org/yale-students-demand-resignations-from-faculty-members-over-halloween-email/

Yale's Intercultural Affairs Committee sent this email saying that people should be cautious when selecting their Halloween Costume. Though officially it's just a suggestion, it's sent to everyone and signed by what I assume are some important people, including the Dean of the College Office/Office of Student Life.

Wife of the guy in the video is "Associate Master" and he is "Master". She sends out this email urging students to think for themselves and have squabbles among themselves about the appropriateness of individual costumes rather than relying on administration to think for them.

Students get mad and organize to meet with a Dean, described here. "Master" Nicholas Christakis comes out to talk to them too, and that video is part of the result. A bunch of other videos are in this playlist. They demanded an apology for his and his wife's views against administrative control over free speech, and he didn't give it to them.

Edit: other users have been describing the Halloween emails as "the straw that broke the camel's back" of campus racial tensions. Most recently a party allegedly turned away black women. Here's an opinion piece that attempts to summarize.

Last edited:
Then, yesterday:

Again, from Reddit:

The speaker is Greg Lukianoff, president of FIRE, the Foundation for Individual Rights in Education which fights for students' and professors' rights to freedom of speech on college campuses. His organization's synopsis of the insanity currently sweeping through Yale is a must read for anyone curious about how censorious SJW authoritarianism is currently presenting a serious threat to 1st Amendment rights in academia, as is his whole speech here in my opinion.

The specific horrendously offensive part of Lukianoff's speech that the special snowflake in the audience lost his shit over is here. It's about as innocuous as it gets.

Back