• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Coddling of the American Mind

not allowing comics who make offensive jokes to perform on campus has absolutely nothing to do with mental health

Take that up with the authors.

People who went to college in the 90s and early 00s can't imagine college kids not wanting to see a 61 year old and a 50 year old do stand up. Oh the horror.

I wasn't saying they had too much access to mental health I was saying they had too much access to pretty much everything and too much of most things is bad. The average college student probably has better access to health services then most people and that's a good thing. However trends on college campuses are to provide more of everything else that makes it difficult for students to handle any adversity what so ever. I bet the response to 1/3rd suicide number isn't to address mental health but to provide more coddling to relieve the stress of college life (which compared to the real world is the least stressful time ever).

Take that up with the authors.

People who went to college in the 90s and early 00s can't imagine college kids not wanting to see a 61 year old and a 50 year old do stand up. Oh the horror.

ok, i'll call the authors. i'm sure you know their phone numbers.

I wasn't saying they had too much access to mental health I was saying they had too much access to pretty much everything and too much of most things is bad. The average college student probably has better access to health services then most people and that's a good thing. However trends on college campuses are to provide more of everything else that makes it difficult for students to handle any adversity what so ever. I bet the response to 1/3rd suicide number isn't to address mental health but to provide more coddling to relieve the stress of college life (which compared to the real world is the least stressful time ever).

Unfortunately you are probably right.

On another note, stress is not the only cause of mental illness.

Seems like college admins are being handcuffed by an overly-broad definition of harassment. Hard to blame them when they could face lawsuits anytime a single person feels personally offended.

ok, i'll call the authors. i'm sure you know their phone numbers.

Circuit City has a 20% off sale on Google machines and electronic mail devices.

Seems like college admins are being handcuffed by an overly-broad definition of harassment. Hard to blame them when they could face lawsuits anytime a single person feels personally offended.

College administrations could have easily prevented this had they dealt better with actual issues of harassment and assault. That's my impression, at least. Also, according to this hypothetical, the people suing college campuses are not millennials, even if their spawn are...

Another thing that I wanted to add is that, I have a hunch that the micro-aggression, touchy feely, everything is offensive, etc. culture on college campuses comes straight from the Generation X scholars, educators, and administrators who now teach millennials. (Ph, wakephan09, BigTree, etc. may have a different perspective on this, though.)

Come to think about it, pretty much everyone complaining about millennials has raised, taught, mentored, or administered(?) millennials.

Agreed. They took a lot of isolated incidents and attributed the problems to the students instead of the baby boomer administrators who still coddle them instead of saying "Suck it. Condi Rice is speaking at your graduation."

This article also obscures the hostile environments many students face. College students don't want to be treated like crap in their own homes. They make a lot of sacrifices to go to college. They don't want to be peppered with disrespect on a daily basis.

Casa Artom, Worrell House AND Flow House? There just aren't enough counselors to deal with these hardships. Oh, the privations...

Last edited:
College administrations could have easily prevented this had they dealt better with actual issues of harassment and assault. That's my impression, at least. Also, according to this hypothetical, the people suing college campuses are not millennials, even if their spawn are...

Another thing that I wanted to add is that, I have a hunch that the micro-aggression, touchy feely, everything is offensive, etc. culture on college campuses comes straight from the Generation X scholars, educators, and administrators who now teach millennials. (Ph, wakephan09, BigTree, etc. may have a different perspective on this, though.)

Come to think about it, pretty much everyone complaining about millennials has raised, taught, mentored, or administered(?) millennials.

And another movement is added to the millennial "It's Not My Fault Rhapsody".

Gen X is not touchy feely for crying out loud

Back