• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Trip to Italy

Wake95

Reaction score
Total newbie here to European travel. Have always wanted to travel to northern Italy to see where my acestors are from (Lake Como area). Any recommendations would be appreciated (ie time of year to go, where to fly into, how to get around, where to stay, side trips). We will be traveling with pre-teen kids. We r not into the touristy scene. Would just like to relax and immerse ourselves in Italian life. Possible side trip up into Switzerland?

I don't know how much time you have or if you're even interested in spending a few days in central Italy, but my family and I (including 2 pre-teens) visited Rome, Naples, Perugia and Assissi last month. Rome is a must-see at some point in your life but it would take about a week to experience Rome. I found Perugia to be absolutely beautiful and charming, far more so than I expected. If you had an extra couple of days, I'd recommend getting flying into Perugia and taking side-trips to Assissi and Spoleto while you're there.

Total newbie here to European travel. Have always wanted to travel to northern Italy to see where my acestors are from (Lake Como area). Any recommendations would be appreciated (ie time of year to go, where to fly into, how to get around, where to stay, side trips). We will be traveling with pre-teen kids. We r not into the touristy scene. Would just like to relax and immerse ourselves in Italian life. Possible side trip up into Switzerland?

my family is from Bari and I can tell you that's not where I was heading the first time I visited Europe (Italy)

Lake Como is well down the list of regions of Italy to visit to "immerse" yourselves in the Italian life, IMHO, ESPECIALLY if it's your first visit.

Last edited:
Yeah Como is basically an R&R for all Milan's (and all of Europe really) super rich. Lots of American/Euro/Aussie honeymooners as well. Its beautiful, which is why they come, but its not really a typical EYE-Talian experience.

Spoleto is by far my favorite city in Italy. Assisi is a close second.

Spoleto is by far my favorite city in Italy. Assisi is a close second.

I have heard this from others as well. What about flying into Rome...spend a few days there....drive to Spoleto for a couple days....then on to Assisi for a coupe days...then back to Rome to fly out? Good trip? Would you do anything differently? How many days in each place would give us time to see the sights and not feel rushed? Would prob plan a trip for 10 days...2 weeks max.

Going to Italy for the first time and not going to Rome would be dumb. One of the most amazing cities in the world. Spend at least three or four days there.

Going to Italy for the first time and not going to Rome would be dumb. One of the most amazing cities in the world. Spend at least three or four days there.

Rome is just slightly overrated but I generally agree.

Been to Rome twice for 8 days each and never got bored. Best city in the world IMHO.

that is the first time I have ever heard rome described that way. interesting.

I lived in Europe for two years and have traveled throughout extensively. If I was only allowed to go back to one major European city, I would pick Rome. I wouldn't have to give it a second's thought.

Over Paris?

Rome is a must but I tend to agree its over-rated. Paris, London, Rome for me….

I've been to Rome 3 or 4 times and would be fine if I never went there again when visiting Italy

Yeah I'm not hurrying back to Rome.

As far as pure natural beauty goes, doesn't get much better than the Amalfi Coast. Ravello, specifically.

ravello1.jpg

Last edited:
Back