• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Carl Tacy Opening the Gate

That Houston team had crazy talent and a stiff for a coach. It was run and gun all the way. Tacy almost took them out with inferior talent (although we had more talent than people gave us credit for). He could coach kids up and was a great strategist who made solid adjustments in game as well.

Didn't Tacy recruit Muggsy prior to his retirement? He had a good eye for talent and could usually find lesser know recruits and beat folks with them.

That Houston team had crazy talent and a stiff for a coach. It was run and gun all the way. Tacy almost took them out with inferior talent (although we had more talent than people gave us credit for). He could coach kids up and was a great strategist who made solid adjustments in game as well.

Didn't Tacy recruit Muggsy prior to his retirement? He had a good eye for talent and could usually find lesser know recruits and beat folks with them.

He not only recruited Muggsy, but coached him for a couple of years before he retired in 1985.

He not only recruited Muggsy, but coached him for a couple of years before he retired in 1985.
The win at Duke in 1985 was an all time classic . Mugs held Dawkins to 8 points and basically dominated a game against the #1 team in the nation. Lee Garber had to play center because of an injury to Charlie Thomas but he held his own against Bilas. Tacy drew up a great play on the last play of regulation to get Rudd open for a jumper and , course, he hit it. We won in OT. Kenny Green wasn't bad in that game either.

The 1984 WF team that knocked off #1 Depaul and then lost to Houston in the Elite 8 had a lot talent. Kenny Green was a first round pick. Rudd and Danny Young both played significant time in the NBA. Muggsy was a frosh on that team also played in the NBA. That's 4 future NBA players. Anthony Teachey was a very solid college big man, who led the ACC in rebounding that year.

Tacy sucked given the talent he had, 3rd worst Wake Forest coach in history.

The memory of the Houston game is correct... I was there as well. I remember Wake staged a huge 2nd half comeback. We had cut the lead to 5 with about 4 to 5 minutes to go. We force another Houston turnover and Danny Young had an uncontested break away with only Delany Rudd following a few steps behind. As Young hit around the top of the key, he dribbled the ball off his foot and it rolled out of bounds. I remember Rudd dropping to his knees and smacking the court with the palm of his hands. As often happens, the momentum bubble burst and Houston held on to win.

Tacy did a great job for Wake Forest. Until 1979, only 16 teams went to the NCAA tournament (only the ACC tourney champion received the bid). While we won the Big 4 tournament every year, we just couldn't win the tourney. But, we had some awesome teams under Coach Tacy

I'll bet if you asked Skip Brown, he would tell you that Tacy was a great coach . And the Skipper is near legend status at WFU in my book.

Bones McKinney would have something to say about that.

So would Dave Odom and his back to back ACC titles. But glad Gentleman Carl got to open the gate. 2 different Elite 8's with 2 different sets of teams is awesome. And retiring Meyer will never be forgotten. That was the year I started reffing practices and Muggsy was a freshman.

Last edited:
So would Dave Odom and his back to back ACC titles. But glad Gentleman Carl got to open the gate. 2 different Elite 8's with 2 different sets of teams is awesome. And retiring Meyer will never be forgotten. That was the year I started reffing practices and Muggsy was a freshman.

Bones thinks Odom's B2B is cute since he did that too.

What did Tacy do after leaving Wake? For some reason I had thought he was not in good health but he looks pretty darn vigorous in those photos.

Coach Tacy is fine. Was in frozen yogurt business for a few years. Lives in WS and is very active. See him at a lot of WFBB games.

That's pretty 00's-era Wake Forest to get psyched out by a standing ovation.

Great to see Carl doing well into his 80s. He was a bit dour but great for game preparation.

Back