• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Carl Tacy Opening the Gate

Bkf touching himself?

[video]http://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0LEVvw7QehVbm4ACfgnnIlQ;_ylu=X3oDMTE0N21zY3N vBGNvbG8DYmYxBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDUFJEQ1RMMV8xBHNlYwNzY w--/RV=2/RE=1441313211/RO=10/RU=https%3a%2f%2fwww.youtube.com%2fwatch%3fv%3dYNk QVoE1rC8/RK=0/RS=ku5zZWMkkp_FfCTDH3v.otnCOlg-[/video]

Last edited:
Yep- I was there as well! Good times! Class of '86

One of my best memories growing up was my Dad and I staying up and watching that game and going crazy at the end. Feel blessed and thankful that my Dad will be attending tonight's game with me as well, the older he gets the more I treasure these times.

One of my best memories growing up was my Dad and I staying up and watching that game and going crazy at the end. Feel blessed and thankful that my Dad will be attending tonight's game with me as well, the older he gets the more I treasure these times.

You're right about that; treasure those opportunities.
I watched the game at my apartment and ran back to campus afterwards and it was mayhem.

While Lefty ranted and stomped and Deano whined incessively, it was always "Gentleman" Carl Tacy who sat with arms folded and legs crossed who was hit with technical fouls. I never knew why until I sat directly behind the bench for a Maryland v. Wake game played in Greensboro. A series of four questionable if not bad calls all in a row were all going against Wake allowing MD to pull ahead in a tight game. A charge was ruled a block on the MD end, Wake was called for traveling (yes, that use to be part of the rules along with palming the basketball), MD center walks (no call) after grabbing a rebound and then jumps through two Wake defenders knocking one to the floor and Wake is charged with a foul, and then on our end, Wake is charged with a foul. This whole time, Coach Tacy just sat there with his arms folded and his legs crossed. As MD is bringing the ball back up court, as one of the refs passes by the Wake bench, Coach Tacy lifted his head and made eye contact with the red and said but two words - "Eat shit". The ref immediately stopped, turned, and called a technical on Coach Tacy.

I would rank Bones #2. The big difference is that Bones' success was basically due to two players in one recruiting class...Len Chappell & Billy Packer. Tacy made two Elite Eights 7 years apart with completely different rosters.....in a much tougher conference at the time.

Final Four > *

Tacy was the coach when I started watching WF games as a kid in W-S.

Traveled to G-Boro to watch us win the Big Four Tournament. Loved games in the old, cold, and smoky Veterans Memorial Coliseum.

Listened on the radio when Wake had Maguire and Marquette on the ropes in the NCAA with (I think - though my memory is getting spotty) Skip Brown, Rod Griffin, Jerry Schellenberg. I think we lost a heartbreaker in OT. That was when Marquette was huge (and even some NCAA games were not on television).

Always gave Dean Smith fits, and may have been the only coach who could out coach Deano on a regular basis. Had many wins in Carmichael. I seem to remember a favorite of mine, Anthony Teachy, having a great game in a win at UNC. Teachy was an undersized rebounding machine who was 100% heart.

Watched the retire Myer game and the subsequent close loss to a hugely talented Houston team that would have taken us to the final four. (again - I am sure a historian or researcher may be able to correct any mis-remembering on my part!)

Those were great times with teams full of really likeable and accessible players. Had a Wake Prof offer tickets to some games and got hooked ( I can remember him asking me what team I liked. I said I thought I would pull for North Carolina since that was where I lived. He replied "Everyone pulls for UNC. You need to pull for Wake Forest since they are your local team. I thought about it and it stuck!). Later hooked my parents who joined the Deacon Club. My Dad is still a member and goes to games at 86 years old.

Tacy's success as a coach and manner as a person made many fans for Wake back in the day.

Tacy was the coach when I started watching WF games as a kid in W-S.

Traveled to G-Boro to watch us win the Big Four Tournament. Loved games in the old, cold, and smoky Veterans Memorial Coliseum.

Listened on the radio when Wake had Maguire and Marquette on the ropes in the NCAA with (I think - though my memory is getting spotty) Skip Brown, Rod Griffin, Jerry Schellenberg. I think we lost a heartbreaker in OT. That was when Marquette was huge (and even some NCAA games were not on television).

Always gave Dean Smith fits, and may have been the only coach who could out coach Deano on a regular basis. Had many wins in Carmichael. I seem to remember a favorite of mine, Anthony Teachy, having a great game in a win at UNC. Teachy was an undersized rebounding machine who was 100% heart.

Watched the retire Myer game and the subsequent close loss to a hugely talented Houston team that would have taken us to the final four. (again - I am sure a historian or researcher may be able to correct any mis-remembering on my part!)

Those were great times with teams full of really likeable and accessible players. Had a Wake Prof offer tickets to some games and got hooked ( I can remember him asking me what team I liked. I said I thought I would pull for North Carolina since that was where I lived. He replied "Everyone pulls for UNC. You need to pull for Wake Forest since they are your local team. I thought about it and it stuck!). Later hooked my parents who joined the Deacon Club. My Dad is still a member and goes to games at 86 years old.

Tacy's success as a coach and manner as a person made many fans for Wake back in the day.

IIRC after the Houston game Tacy expressed regret for not having a couple of our not-too-swift big men (such as Tony "Knife-Man" Karasak) go in and burn some fouls on Olajuwon, vs. having Teachey play conservative defense to avoid foul trouble. Great coach/great tactician.

To those that no longer like the motorcycle deal as a part of our team entry effort: Coach Tacy surely seemed to enjoy it; as did I.

Back