• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official NFL Week 1 Thread: JULIO JONES

Again, if Eli just takes a knee on 3rd down instead of throwing the ball away, the Giants win. That would have run an extra what, 40 seconds off the clock? FG on 4th down and Cowboys are screwed. What a colossal fuck up.

Cowboys gave a game ball to Eli....would love to hear the NY sports talk radio today. If Romo had done something like that he'd be roasted.

Looking forward to 2&2's take.

Looking forward to 2&2's take.

Complete horseshit by the refs on the two biggest plays of the game. If they correctly call either (a) the garbage PI call on DRC or (b) the defensive holding on the endzone play, then this is an easy stolen win.

I don't get the Eli criticism on the 3rd down play - they have to score a TD there. Whether it is 1:30 or :30, this defense stinks in an up-tempo situation and the Cowboys are getting down into the endzone, we've seen this too many times over the past few years. He is out of the pocket so his two options are: (1) take advantage of the clear defensive holding and throw it in Donnell's general direction which effectively ends the game with an automatic 1st down, or (2) take the sack and give them the ball back so they can definitely score. Given the defense, he made the play he should have made. But just like earlier in the game when the Cowboys jumped well offsides so he took the free play, but it wasn't called, America's Refs showed up again and looked the other way.

That said, I do not like the playcalling by McAdoo in that sequence. Williams should have been in there behind Nikita instead of Jennings on all 3 downs. And on 3rd down, I don't get the rollout with Donnell as the only receiver on that side. If you're going to throw it, at least have ODB in the play even if he is just a decoy. This play was Donnell or nothing.

While it sucks to lose the game like that, it was better than the blowout that I was expecting given all of the injuries on the road. The secondary played well for most of the game despite having to play guys off the street. Unga showed promise but really has no business being out there at this point in his career. Offensive line played okay. Defensive line was atrocious against the pass, but again that was expected given the injuries.

Romo played well at the end, though I think any QB could have taken advantage of the lack of mid-range defense. Again, whether it was :30 or 1:30, they were getting in the endzone; I've watched this Giants defense enough over the years where I could have scripted that drive. What I couldn't understand as it happened was why the Cowboys weren't doing that all game, they kept the run-run-WRpass sequence all game, which made no sense. The dump-offs were working but they didn't run them much. No doubt Chip Kelly will dink us to death later this season though, so that is two more losses right there.

Keeping Preston Parker and his Ted Ginn impersonations over James Jones was so, so stupid.

Complete horseshit by the refs on the two biggest plays of the game. If they correctly call either (a) the garbage PI call on DRC or (b) the defensive holding on the endzone play, then this is an easy stolen win.

I don't get the Eli criticism on the 3rd down play - they have to score a TD there. Whether it is 1:30 or :30, this defense stinks in an up-tempo situation and the Cowboys are getting down into the endzone, we've seen this too many times over the past few years. He is out of the pocket so his two options are: (1) take advantage of the clear defensive holding and throw it in Donnell's general direction which effectively ends the game with an automatic 1st down, or (2) take the sack and give them the ball back so they can definitely score. Given the defense, he made the play he should have made. But just like earlier in the game when the Cowboys jumped well offsides so he took the free play, but it wasn't called, America's Refs showed up again and looked the other way.

That said, I do not like the playcalling by McAdoo in that sequence. Williams should have been in there behind Nikita instead of Jennings on all 3 downs. And on 3rd down, I don't get the rollout with Donnell as the only receiver on that side. If you're going to throw it, at least have ODB in the play even if he is just a decoy. This play was Donnell or nothing.

While it sucks to lose the game like that, it was better than the blowout that I was expecting given all of the injuries on the road. The secondary played well for most of the game despite having to play guys off the street. Unga showed promise but really has no business being out there at this point in his career. Offensive line played okay. Defensive line was atrocious against the pass, but again that was expected given the injuries.

Romo played well at the end, though I think any QB could have taken advantage of the lack of mid-range defense. Again, whether it was :30 or 1:30, they were getting in the endzone; I've watched this Giants defense enough over the years where I could have scripted that drive. What I couldn't understand as it happened was why the Cowboys weren't doing that all game, they kept the run-run-WRpass sequence all game, which made no sense. The dump-offs were working but they didn't run them much. No doubt Chip Kelly will dink us to death later this season though, so that is two more losses right there.

Keeping Preston Parker and his Ted Ginn impersonations over James Jones was so, so stupid.
You don't agree with the criticism of Eli's stopping the clock on a 3rd down play against a defense with no TOs? Hot take, Lobo.

You don't agree with the criticism of Eli's stopping the clock on a 3rd down play against a defense with no TOs? Hot take, Lobo.

LOL. Even Eli agrees it was dumb

In that situation? No. Again, if the refs call the obvious hold, then game over regardless of where he throws the ball; but if he doesn't throw it then it doesn't get called. But of course in Dallas, he throws it and it doesn't get called anyway. Additionally, they still had the option of going for it on 4th down from the 1, and if he takes that sack to push them back to the 8 or so, then that option is out the window. If the sole point was to run out the clock, then you call a run play. But once you call a pass play in that situation then it is clear that the point is to score.

LOL. Even Eli agrees it was dumb

He is taking the blame because that is what he always does and has been trained to do. The guy never says anything controversial regardless of what he thinks.

ETA: And Coughlin is also saying it is his fault for calling a pass play and not running the ball, which I think is the real mistake.

Last edited:
He is taking the blame because that is what he always does and has been trained to do. The guy never says anything controversial regardless of what he thinks.

ETA: And Coughlin is also saying it is his fault for calling a pass play and not running the ball, which I think is the real mistake.
He's taking the blame because incompetence was rampant in the Giants team last night.

It's amazing that NFL teams don't have a stats guy with a quick answer for what to do in various clock management situations but instead go with the head coach's gut or whatever quick mental math he can do on the sideline.

He's taking the blame because incompetence was rampant in the Giants team last night.

They were leading in a road game that they had no business being in given their injuries. McAdoo fucked up the personnel and playcalling on the last sequence, but other than that they played well over their heads under the circumstances.

Yeah, don't blame the Giants for trying to score a TD -- see Buffalo 24 Carolina 23 from 2013 and the birth of the Riverboat. But not a great play call there on third down rolling out Eli and limiting his options

2&2 why aren't you talking about Randy Moss to the Giants as a 5th receiver to replace the god-awful Preston Parker? Pls stop posting about Moss in the Panthers threads till you get rid of that guy and add someone competent

Cromartie with a hyper-extended knee. Thought for sure it was an ACL tear the way it looked yesterday. Sign of relief for Jets fans.

2&2 why aren't you talking about Randy Moss to the Giants as a 5th receiver to replace the god-awful Preston Parker? Pls stop posting about Moss in the Panthers threads till you get rid of that guy and add someone competent

Probably because Parker was only on the field because he was filling in for a Pro Bowl slot receiver who has an injured calf so was unable to play this week. Ginn will be on the field dropping passes for you all season.

You have repeatedly said we should get Moss as a 4th or 5th receiver but you don't think he should replace Preston Parker as your 5th receiver? I'll make sure to just quote this every time you post it in the panthers thread from now on

Preston Parker is on the team because he is the gunner on special teams. That is his job, and that is why he got it and James Jones got cut. He was on the field at WR as Cruz's injury replacement. Is Randy Moss going to play special teams? The Panthers, on the other hand, do not need special teams players, they need WRs who can catch the ball.

Back