• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Who should start at QB next week?

If Wolford is 100% healthy, who do you want starting at QB next week against BC?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Agreed. We have a capable backup and Wolford has legs. We need a running QB regardless.

I backed Wolford after the last two games, but yesterday was the best QB performance we've had in a long while when you account for quality of opponent and overall effect on the offense. I'm joining Brasky on Team Hinton.

Brasky's football knowledge knows no bounds. He's dead right here. Play the upside.

During the game, announcers stated the were told he was 70% yesterday.
I don't see how you take the ball away from Hinton right now. He's so dynamic.

Well Hinton does have more attempts since he was slinging it yesterday in the second half, but I would guess the offense has had more opportunities with him as QB because they've gotten mor first downs. Wolford has a higher QB rating, but he's got a season's worth of experience too. Hinton's just improving so quickly and has more obvious potential that I think you have to get him on the field now and let him learn in a season where there's not much on the line.

I'll leave it to the coaches to decide who to play (they should know best, shouldn't they?)

I'm just glad that we are even having a discussion/debate about which of our up-and-coming QBs should start.
Both have their merits.
We haven't been in this situation in a quite a while

Two promising QBs have played. A promising 4* QB is redshirting. Another promising QB is committed.

Nice work, Clawson.

Two promising QBs have played. A promising 4* QB is redshirting. Another promising QB is committed.

Nice work, Clawson.

Yeah, this is what we should focus on. In a parallel universe Wolford completes 5 more passes and runs for 25 less yards against FSU and we just beat them and Indiana. Not likely, but certainly possible.

Already wanting Hinton to start over a healthy Wolford speaks more towards how low the expectations were for our fans this season than anything else. Truth is we're better - or at least have a higher ceiling - than the vast majority of fans thought. Clawson's making serious progress.

I'm trying to see a scenario where if Hinton gets the nod then Wolford hangs around for 2 more years, or if it's Wolford then Hinton is o.k. with possibly only starting (again) his senior season. As someone said earlier it's a nice problem to have, but both of these guys are quality QB's and rep's of the university so I hope there's a scenario to keep both of them happy for 4 years.

Hinton needs time to refine his passing game. He gets more PT, but a healthy Wolford starts. Yet, he must produce at a higher level now b/c we know that we have a good alternate. Good situation.

Nice work, Clawson.

Agreed. I voted Hinton this week after his performance last week. He is a play maker. But he needs to work on his decision-making. He threw two passes to no one essentially that could have been pick 6's. Sometimes you take the sack.

Its really hard to imagine a scenario where we keep Wolford, Hinton, Kearns and Newman for more than one more year.

IMO, this year is about building a better program, not winning as many games as possible. Clawson needs to rotate QBs or do whatever he needs to do this year, in order to know who he wants as the starter for the next 2 years. Then he should have a competition in the spring or next fall between Kearns and Newman for the backup spot (assuming loser of the Wolford / Hinton and Kearns / Newman battles will likely transfer). QB transfers are so common these days, you have to believe these young guys aren't going to stick around for multiple years for a chance to possibly play their senior year.

I'm trying to see a scenario where if Hinton gets the nod then Wolford hangs around for 2 more years, or if it's Wolford then Hinton is o.k. with possibly only starting (again) his senior season. As someone said earlier it's a nice problem to have, but both of these guys are quality QB's and rep's of the university so I hope there's a scenario to keep both of them happy for 4 years.

With our OL and the our offensive scheme both the #1 and #2 qb's are probably going to have to start half the games each year.

Back