• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

SPOILERS: Star Wars: The Last Jedi Discussion Thread SPOILERS

I haven't seen ROTJ in a while. I had forgotten how awesome the space scenes from the battle of Endor are. The space scenes in TFA don't hold a candle to that. The scene where Rey is piloting the Millennium Falcon is great (the best in TFA, in my opinion), but it is different inasmuch as it lacks the magnitude and scope of the battle of Endor.

I can appreciate that the focus of TFA maybe wasn't really the space scenes, but they really shouldn't have repeated the "big weapon with a weakness, small attack, etc." unless they were going to try to top ROTJ (or, ANH, for that matter) on that point.

Hey, but at least there were not Ewoks in TFA.

Last edited:
Lando to be revealed as Finn's dad? Is Rey the sister of Ren or the daughter of Luke? Harrison Ford stole the show...

JJ Abrams remade Star Trek Wrath of Kahn in the last Star Trek movie. With a parallel time line, it is Kirk who goes into the reactor and Spock who gets Kahn. The roles are reversed from the original.

He took the same twist and applied it here. While this was Episode 5 remade, he took a key scene from Episode 6 and twisted it. Luke, convinced there is good in Darth Vadar, confronts him on a high crosswalk. Dad strikes son and Luke free falls through the structure.

Here, like Star Trek, you have the same scene only Dad, Hans Solo, confronts the son, Ren. In a twist, the Son kills Dad, and Dad falls off the crosswalk through the structure.

In episode 6, Lando ( Billy D Williams) rescues an injured Luke who is hanging from the bottom of the space station. It wouldn't surprise me if Lando doesn't rescue Han Solo from a similar plight in the next film.

That's doubtful. I think we could see Lando but not like that. Also Abrams isn't doing Ep 8 and I think it would probably be less reliant on the source material.

It would be laughably lazy to have Lando be Finn's dad.

SPOILERS: Star Wars: The Force Awaketh Discussion Thread SPOILERS

It would be laughably lazy to have Lando be Finn's dad.

Star Wars OWN (Old White Nerds) can't handle cross-racial comparisons.

The only way I would accept Lando as Finn's dad is if both Finn and Rey were brother and sister.

wouldn't leia know if rey was her daughter?

In episode 6, Lando ( Billy D Williams) rescues an injured Luke who is hanging from the bottom of the space station. It wouldn't surprise me if Lando doesn't rescue Han Solo from a similar plight in the next film.

Han is dead. You have to let go of your feelings for him.

Han is dead. You have to let go of your feelings for him.

They blew up the planet. I guess some people won't believe his death until there are Ewoks dancing around his burning corpse.

wouldn't leia know if rey was her daughter?

Not necessarily. Leia would presumably know if she'd had another child but she may not know it grew up to be Rey. Maybe Leia had a premonition about Ren turning and agreed to hide Rey for her own safety. She would have had a sense that Rey was her daughter through the force, but she just may not have said anything. Or maybe she knew knew but didn't say anything to keep Rey from knowing for her own protection.

I'm not saying that's my view, but it strikes me as plausible.

SPOILERS: Star Wars: The Force Awaketh Discussion Thread SPOILERS

lawyers gonna lawyer

A theory I was intrigued by is that Rey is Palpatine's daughter and that she was snuck out and had to be hidden.

Why? Old dudes don't bang in Star Wars time?

If TFA is set 30 years after ROTJ, then Palps would've had to have busted a quick nut into some space broad before getting tossed down that chasm for it to line up.

The timing doesn't work out. She would have to be at least 30.

vBwR6Ac.jpg

yea or nay:

rey is luke's daughter and gets pissed and him for abandoning her and refusing to come out of exile and subsequently falls to the dark side? which in turn ends up forcing luke to leave his planet.

Was expecting it to be good based on word of mouth, was surprised that I thought it was great.

While I get some of the arguments about Rey, I thought the movie did a good enough job addressing many of those issues for me. For Rey's quick use of the force versus how long Luke trained... It's not like she lifted an entire X-wing. Plus the helmet, the doll, the discussion about the Force prior to Han Solo telling her it was real... It all suggests she was down with the lore of the rebellion and the jedi prior to discovering she had Force powers. And being mind-probed triggering that, the failure of getting the guard to follow her first order... I thought it was pretty thoroughly addressed and not overly powerful. As for piloting the Falcon the runs into about 20 things before getting the hang of it and the only difficult flying part she pulls off in the destroyer she'd spent years exploring and harvesting for spare parts. As for her being independent and succeeding with little help - that's kind of the point of her being a scavenger. Luke was a freaking pussy when Obi Wan found him, Rey was taking on thugs and thieves for years on her own. I actually thought the role reversal between her and Finn was great.

Also, unlike some, I give Abrams a lot of credit for including themes and homages from the first movies without being overly cheesy or contrived. When Han walks out on that catwalk you know what's going to happen, but the acting, the sun going dark, the turn and his death - just really well done. I don't know how TFA could really be all the unpredictable, so I give it a pass there. Go too far off the reservation in the initial film of the new era and you could get in real trouble.

Minor gripes would be the take down of the super laser planet and the ending fighter space scenes were just ok. Leia was predictably rough. And Han's freight monsters were kinda lame.

Also relieved at the relatively light use of CGI, particularly after watching the fucking Lucas additions to the originals. They make me irrationally angry.

Back