• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

islam

I saw this and was wondering if someone was going to post it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why would you have to be nervous to not want to attend a mosque? I have no interest in attending a lot of services that I am not nervous about. Just not interested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

as Maher (who I'm not particularly a fan of) points out, other than Islam, what faith today advocates physical violence against people for what they think?

What do these 7 countries that execute atheists all have in common?
fbKUmW.jpg

But hey, Westboro Baptist Church is proof Christians in the US are just as much of a problem... :rolleyes:

as Maher (who I'm not particularly a fan of) points out, other than Islam, what faith today advocates physical violence against people for what they think?

There are times I want to shake some sense into board donkeys, but I don't think that's what you are talking about.

Maher's argument seems to be that the intolerance and illiberalism of Islam is different in degree from other religions but not in kind. I think that's right, but it doesn't make much of a principled distinction between Islam and other faiths.

If he thinks the religions are different in kind, not just degree, then I think he's wrong.

As a godless heathen I have no dog in this fight, I didn't watch the video but am familiar with maher' rant, and without doing any research this morning - I seem to remember from religion courses in college that the verses many jihadists refer to to justify their violence has been twisted and distorted to fit their end. Doesn't it just justify violence toward infidels who are invading forces on their land? How is that different from anyone else's personal philosophy, religion, or America's geopolitical strategy?

Last edited:
Just went back and read through some verses. Forgot how silly religion and religious texts are. That people hang on every word of ancient tomes and kill each other over them is beyond ridiculous. The world is quite different now

What do these 7 countries that execute atheists all have in common?
fbKUmW.jpg

But hey, Westboro Baptist Church is proof Christians in the US are just as much of a problem... :rolleyes:

Two things can both be true at the same time. One does not have to be false for the other to be true. We have a radical Islam problem. We also have a Christianity problem.

Maher's argument seems to be that the intolerance and illiberalism of Islam is different in degree from other religions but not in kind. I think that's right, but it doesn't make much of a principled distinction between Islam and other faiths.

If he thinks the religions are different in kind, not just degree, then I think he's wrong.

What do you mean by "principled distinction"? It seems obvious to me that religions are different "in kind". Not sure how you can reasonably make such a claim. Tell me how Jainism is the same as Zoroastrianism is the same as Spiritualism is the same as Wicca "in kind".

Two things can both be true at the same time. One does not have to be false for the other to be true. We have a radical Islam problem. We also have a Christianity problem.

why do you LIE?!?!?!

One group feels justified in committing murder if you disagree with them. The other group will pray that you see the light.

Seems like a principled distinction to me.

One group feels justified in committing murder if you disagree with them. The other group will pray that you see the light.

Seems like a principled distinction to me.

Agree. If that isn't a difference in kind then we aren't using the same definitions.

Horseshit. And really rich coming from an American who agrees with military adventures in foreign lands that kill innocents to protect "interests." Fucking laughable

Supernatural invisible forces that guide mortals' life or death policy decisions in the 21st century. yikes. :rulz:

Why would you have to be nervous to not want to attend a mosque? I have no interest in attending a lot of services that I am not nervous about. Just not interested.

So, you're willing to demonize a religion that you have never experienced for yourself?

I might be "just not smart," but at least I'm not willfully ignorant.

ETA: Demonize is the wrong word for this thread. There is so much ignorant dipshittery on this board about Islam and I got the threads mixed up. Regardless, I shouldn't have called out Wrangor for demonizing Islam and I'm sorry.

Last edited:
Back