• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

(NWT) Jon Jones Out of UFC 200, Failed Drug Test

That card was garbage. Only decent fights were Aldo/Edgar (and that was mostly because I had $$$ on Aldo), and I guess maybe Cain/Browne?

UFC really shot themselves in the foot, repeatedly, with this. Even after kicking McGregor/Diaz 2 to 202 (which, uh, that was mistake #1; put that as a headliner here and everything's fine, but Tate/Nunes can't carry a fucking card), they kept fucking up:

1.) Either let DC sign the waiver he wanted to sign to keep the fight against Jones (I've read that this would have led to it being a non-title fight, but fine, whatever), or bury the news until after the fight, which lets you DQ/vacate a potential Jones win (or makes a potential DC win that much sweeter), and sets up the trilogy fight. UFC is absolutely a corrupt enough organization to have pulled off burying that for a few more days, or, hell, letting DC sign the goddamn waiver. They already had an exemption for Brock being roided up to the gills, so what's the difference here, as long as DC was still willing?

2.) Give Cain to Brock, and Hunt to Browne. This would've made both fights so much better... First, you have Brock potentially avenging his loss, and you have OldCain probably whooping Brock's ass in what would've been a truly premiere return win. This is the sort of fight that could have actually headlined the night, rather than the Lesnar/Hunt matchup that nobody was really asking for in the first place. Then you have Hunt, who was training as a potential backup for Cain/Browne anyway, in a fight against someone who's actually in his talent range. Like, I hate Browne, but he was outclassed by Cain, and I don't buy that Hunt is really deserving of that #8 ranking he had, so why not use him to hype up Browne, who the UFC clearly wants to see buoyed up a bit more? That whole sequence makes no sense to me.

3.) Take RDA/Alvarez off of the fucking FightPass card, and throw it into the main event over the Hunt/Browne fight that I'm angling for here. RDA/Eddie was the best fight of the weekend, full stop. It would have made perfect sense for that fight to come right after Aldo/Edgar, as Edgar and Eddie train together, and RDA and Aldo are similar in a lot of ways.

Basically, I'd be moving Hunt/Browne to the FightPass card Thursday, where it could comfortably be a co-main behind that spectacular Big Country/Lewis fight, and then my 200 main event would probably look like this:

Tate/Nunes: 10p
Aldo/Edgar: 1030p
RDA/Alvarez: 11p
Cain/Brock: 1130p
DC/Jones: 12a

That card keeps Tate/Nunes (solely because it sort of has to), and keeps the two best fights of the weekend, and then fixes the two presumptive headliners. It really didn't have to be as hard as they made it.

Feeling good about buying THIS ppv, no way it can't be awesom ... DOH!!!!

i mean, i watched it at bww

it's 2016, do people still buy ppvs?

i mean, i watched it at bww

it's 2016, do people still buy ppvs?

I bought most PPV's a few years ago, but this one I went to a bar with $20 cover and $9 drinks, pretty much works out to the same shit. Not to mention the $10 uber I had to pay because my friends were so bored and left before the Lesnar fight that I stuck around for.

I bought most PPV's a few years ago, but this one I went to a bar with $20 cover and $9 drinks, pretty much works out to the same shit. Not to mention the $10 uber I had to pay because my friends were so bored and left before the Lesnar fight that I stuck around for.

Really? Are they UFC fans? I thought the prelims were probably the best part of the card, and the Aldo/Edgar fight was great.

Back