• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

UNC Begs, er, responds to NCAA allegations

But doesn't someone higher up in the academic department have to approve courses before they can be offered? That's got to be the job of at least someone in the bloated administration offices.

I'm not going to pretend like I know how the AD and academic administration at Carolina work, but I highly, highly doubt it. Why would an athletics department officer have to approve courses? The athletic department is a wing of the academic university, not vice versa. I would imagine that it is the responsibility of the Dean of whatever college AfAm falls under to do the checking, not the AD. It is exactly that kind of convoluted and bureaucratic bullshit that enabled the AfAm bro to operate virtually unchecked, and for his contacts in the AD (whether academic advisors or higher ups) to maintain that relationship.

Oops, I totally misread your post because of the phrase "academic department". If you mean at the department level, the answer is probably no. The chair is in charge and audits are often once-in-a-decade things run by outside faculty selected by the department.

If you meant at the University or college level, you're absolutely right -- it is most certainly somebody's responsibility to do some checking. Maybe someone like PH with more insight into administrative level operations has a better idea.

Oops, I totally misread your post because of the phrase "academic department". If you mean at the department level, the answer is probably no. The chair is in charge and audits are often once-in-a-decade things run by outside faculty selected by the department.

If you meant at the University or college level, you're absolutely right -- it is most certainly somebody's responsibility to do some checking. Maybe someone like PH with more insight into administrative level operations has a better idea.

Probably why Julius Nyang'Oro, Jan Boxill and Deborah Crowder all pleaded the fifth, got out of town and/or were paid off by UNC higher ups. Same thing can be said for long time Roy Williams academic advisor Wayne Walden who followed him all the way from Kansas, then suddenly retired in 2009, about the same time that Crowder retired. Walden was advisor for both the 2005 & 2009 title teams and was "credited" with having 35 bogus paper classes in the 2 semesters of the 2005 season. Amazing run wouldn't you all say!

I'm not sure that the defense of, "You don't have jurisdiction." is going to play very well with the entity that brought the charges to begin with. That's a claim you make to an appellate court. What's the NCAA going to say, "You know what, UNC, you're right. We DON'T have jurisdiction after all. We should never have made those allegations against you."

The level of arrogance and hubris permeating that school is truly remarkable.

Probably why Julius Nyang'Oro, Jan Boxill and Deborah Crowder all pleaded the fifth, got out of town and/or were paid off by UNC higher ups. Same thing can be said for long time Roy Williams academic advisor Wayne Walden who followed him all the way from Kansas, then suddenly retired in 2009, about the same time that Crowder retired. Walden was advisor for both the 2005 & 2009 title teams and was "credited" with having 35 bogus paper classes in the 2 semesters of the 2005 season. Amazing run wouldn't you all say!

I wonder if Kansas has any evidence that anything similar was going down while Walden was there.

In my experience, only General Education courses or courses that fulfill a specific college level or university level requirement have to be approved beyond the department level.

I wonder if Kansas has any evidence that anything similar was going down while Walden was there.

Would be a great question. He was there with Roy, he left "accidently on purpose in 2009" [along with Crowder] so I am sure that if he can be found he isn't talking, just like Butch Davis's family tutor and anybody else associated with this sordid tale.

It's beyond comprehension that the NCAA wouldn't take the 2005 NCAA championship away when they have a lottery pick saying he didn't do the work and the person who did his being given federal whistleblower status. How can you get more conclusive evidence?

It's beyond comprehension that the NCAA wouldn't take the 2005 NCAA championship away when they have a lottery pick saying he didn't do the work and the person who did his being given federal whistleblower status. How can you get more conclusive evidence?

If they actually talked to the NCAA.

Hasn't the NCAA levied penalties for other academic issues such as cheating on a test or plagiarism? Odd that the jurisdiction line was moved back now for UNC.

If the NCAA isn't in academics, then why have minimum GPA's to retain athletic eligibility and minimum standards for admission to the school?

And then after forgoing jurisdiction in regard to academics, the NCAA passes a vague ("we know it when we see it") rule about academics.

Seems pretty open and shut that if it were not for these sham classes (this is not in dispute), UNC athletes maintained eligibility they would not otherwise have. Simply remove the sham classes from their GPA calculation and determine if UNC played with ineligible players, and punish accordingly.

I guess with the Olympics starting this week they wanted to go their own mental gymnastics.

The NCAA has smacked down schools for their athletes getting sham grades in high school. Pretty sure they could smack them down for getting sham grades at the place where they are actually playing hoops.

I also assume that the athletes have priority enrollment in these classes so it would be interesting to see the enrollment percentages university wide of athletes and non athletes.

I read that the classes were 50% athletes, who make up less than 1% of enrollment.

If they actually talked to the NCAA.

Yes, many have either shut up or been paid off to shut up. Athletes like Rashad McCants and his sister Rashanda McCants, Devon Ramsey are some of the ones who have talked. Now whether they are one the record in the NCAA report is another story.

Yes, many have either shut up or been paid off to shut up. Athletes like Rashad McCants and his sister Rashanda McCants, Devon Ramsey are some of the ones who have talked. Now whether they are one the record in the NCAA report is another story.

I don't think McCants ever talked to the NCAA.

I read that the classes were 50% athletes, who make up less than 1% of enrollment.

Thats pretty close. Athletes made up overall about 50% of the enrollment (after frat boy dilution) but sometimes the classes were all athletes. They make up about 4% of the student enrollment.

There will be no repercussions for UNC. There are as Teflon as some politicians

Back