• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Football Preseason Thread

Clawson went through a list of players that have improved their stock thus far in camp. (Per this Dan Collins article here) Here’s the list:

CB Essang Bassey
S Jessie Bates
LB Justin Strnad
LB Nate Mays
DT Willie Yarbary
DT Chris Stewart
TE Devin Pike
TE Jack Freudenthal (walk-on)
OG Nate Gilliam
RB Matt Colburn

Interesting to note that Bassey is the only true freshman mentioned.

Duke QB Sirk still not practicing or scrimmaging. "Iffy" for Week 1 per cutcliffe.

David M. Hale
ESPN Staff Writer

Duke QB Thomas Sirk (Achilles) still hasn't participated in team drills during fall camp and won't scrimmage Friday. David Cutcliffe says he needs to see Sirk cut, change directions and run at his normal 40 time by early next week if he's to start Week 1. "It's going to be nip and tuck," Cutcliffe said.

Don't think there is. My hope is that Sirk tries to play and stinks.

We need to make whoever plays stink. I'd like for us to make whoever their QB is see some stars whenever they run that QB draw that Cutcliffe likes to run about 10 times a game.

It is interesting to note that 19 of the 24 recruits (79%) in the large 2015 recruiting class (Clawson’s first full class) are either on the 2-deep or competing for a spot on the 2-deep. That doesn’t even include Kyle Kearns who is having a solid camp as the #3 QB and appears to have a bright future. It would be hard to overstate how important this class will be.

For comparison purposes, the 2014 class has 14 of 25 recruits (56%) either on the 2-deep or competing for a spot on the 2-deep. That class has suffered from attrition, but also has a few guys that appear to have fallen behind.

Only 7 of 23 recruits (30%) in the 2013 class are on the 2-deep or competing for a spot on the 2-deep.

Here’s my breakdown of the 2015 class:

Starters, including those competing for starting roles or in committees (8): Jessie Bates, Tyler Bell, Alex Bachman, Dionte Austin, Tabari Hines, Chuck Wade, Kendall Hinton, Phil Haynes

Solidly on the 2-deep (7): Scotty Washington, Amari Henderson, Chris Calhoun, Steven Claude, Paris Black, Nathan Gilliam, Jake Benzinger

Competing for spot on 2-deep (4): Matt Colburn, Rocky Reid, Nate Mays, Justin Strnad

Other (2): Kyle Kearns, Elontae Bateman

No longer on team (3): Kahlil Welsh, Bo Archibald, TJ Haney

It is interesting to note that 19 of the 24 recruits (79%) in the large 2015 recruiting class (Clawson’s first full class) are either on the 2-deep or competing for a spot on the 2-deep. That doesn’t even include Kyle Kearns who is having a solid camp as the #3 QB and appears to have a bright future. It would be hard to overstate how important this class will be.

For comparison purposes, the 2014 class has 14 of 25 recruits (56%) either on the 2-deep or competing for a spot on the 2-deep. That class has suffered from attrition, but also has a few guys that appear to have fallen behind.

Only 7 of 23 recruits (30%) in the 2013 class are on the 2-deep or competing for a spot on the 2-deep.

Here’s my breakdown of the 2015 class:

Starters, including those competing for starting roles or in committees (8): Jessie Bates, Tyler Bell, Alex Bachman, Dionte Austin, Tabari Hines, Chuck Wade, Kendall Hinton, Phil Haynes

Solidly on the 2-deep (7): Scotty Washington, Amari Henderson, Chris Calhoun, Steven Claude, Paris Black, Nathan Gilliam, Jake Benzinger

Competing for spot on 2-deep (4): Matt Colburn, Rocky Reid, Nate Mays, Justin Strnad

Other (2): Kyle Kearns, Elontae Bateman

No longer on team (3): Kahlil Welsh, Bo Archibald, TJ Haney

Is Phil Haynes 2014 or 2015? I thought he was 2014 class

Missing a starter from 2015: LS Garrett Wilson

94, thanks for the breakdown. We never know which recruit will flourish, and which will fail. Who is un-developed, under-developed, or who has hit their peak. We hear about their football character, but not their personnel character. That's why we have some 2* in the 2 deep.

Closed to the public

6pm and yeah it is closed. I had made plans to attend but obviously had to change those plans. I've heard they are going to work on situational stuff tonight, so plan on hearing reports of lots of TDs. Maybe simulated game conditions as well (except for fans, which apparently they don't want there).

I assume the media types will be there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

prob don't want Tulane to get any inside info on the secret weapon to our rushing attack.

Just read the offense had 197 rushing in the scrimmage, to go along with 234 yards passing. How will that translate against other defenses, I don't know, but it's good to see decent rushing numbers.

As predicted, there was a lot of offense this scrimmage with the managed situations

Some highlights from what sounds like a short scrimmage (per the official site):

Steven Claude 72 yard TD pass from Kendall Hinton
Matt Colburn 59 yard run
Cortez Lewis 36 yard pass from John Wolford
Jack Freudenthal 27 yard pass from Kendall Hinton

In addition Scotty Washington had a 43-yard TD from Jamie Newman nullified by a penalty.

Both Cade Carney (11 rushes for 44 yards) and Rocky Reid (5 rushes for 43 yards) look like they had good days.

RB by committee the first game will be Reid/Carney/Colburn.

It seems like we will be able to keep the redshirt on Dortch with the emergence of Claude and Bachman. We have two slots already experienced and Lewis and Washington

Sounds like the quarterback competition is still pretty close. Wolford will most likely start against Tulane, but hope to see significant snaps for Hinton. In the long run, I believe Hinton gives us the best chance to win and go bowling

Clawson just needs to pick a guy and stick with that guy. Simple as that.

Back