• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

What is your favorite thing about reading?

I like moving my mouth along with the words -- not really saying them, because that is what dumb people do, but just moving my mouth while I'm reading.

Working in a library, do you ever look around and get overwhelmed by the number of books surrounding you at all times? So much knowledge! You could pull a book from the shelf and read a new one every day for the rest of your life and never finish reading all the books. That is amazing to ponder! Right at this moment, you could decide that you want to read a book about submarines and go pick out a submarine book and at the end of reading it you will be an expert on submarines. Magic.

Chupe:

giphy.gif

I like folding the page down to mark my place. So, if I have to stop reading for some reason, like if I'm tired and need to go to bed or if I'm reading on the beach and decide to get radical in the sea or just go for a walk by the sea, then I can fold the page down where I have stopped reading. wheneverI decide to start reading that book again,I will know the exact page where i previously stopped and where to begin again.

This is only cool for books that you own and not library books. For those, you should use a bookmark, but I often do not, even though I have not checked out a book in a long time especially since they are removing the stamp cards.

Last edited:
I like choosing where I want the story to go next but then if that sucks going back to the previous page and picking the other option.

I like folding the page down to mark my place. So, if I have to stop reading for some reason, like if I'm tired and need to go to bed or if I'm reading on the beach and decide to get radical in the sea or just go for a walk by the sea, then I can fold the page down where I have stopped reading. wheneverI decide to start reading that book again,I will know the exact page where i previously stopped and where to begin again.

This is only cool for books that you own and not library books. For those, you should use a bookmark, but I often do not, even though I have not checked out a book in a long time especially since they are removing the stamp cards.

Christ, you've dog-eared one of them! Show a little respect for the author!

Working in a library, do you ever look around and get overwhelmed by the number of books surrounding you at all times? So much knowledge! You could pull a book from the shelf and read a new one every day for the rest of your life and never finish reading all the books. That is amazing to ponder! Right at this moment, you could decide that you want to read a book about submarines and go pick out a submarine book and at the end of reading it you will be an expert on submarines. Magic.

Reading can be a great way to learn things, that's another thing I like about reading, but you have to put your mind to it. If you do that you can accomplish anything, including reading, and then, as a result, learning.

Anyone ever tried reading by osmosis? Solid little life hack there. I'm reluctant to give away the secret, but hell, we're all friends here. You put the book UNDER your pillow before bed. Then sleep with your head on the pillow. Boom. Thank me later. It's like reading, but different.

I find osmosis intriguing, but I prefer that the reading comes in through my eyes. That way I can be awake when I'm reading and can think about the words and what it is like in the setting the author has created, which can be literally anywhere. That's why reading is so great.

OMG the smell of an old book!

I love that!

I never thought I'd be a Kindle person, but I find it much easier to read on trips using one than to pack multiple books. And boy did it come in handy when I was stranded at the airport in DC overnight. Read 2 books & began a third whilst awake all night.

I love that!

I never thought I'd be a Kindle person, but I find it much easier to read on trips using one than to pack multiple books. And boy did it come in handy when I was stranded at the airport in DC overnight. Read 2 books & began a third whilst awake all night.
Can't do Kindles. Need the smell of a real book. Need the feel of paper on my fingers. Need the realism and tangibleness of dog ears and the slow decay of the binding over time.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

I do like books about weather

Close my eyes and it's like the fog is all around me

One time when I was reading, it was a book about the past, and I closed my eyes after I had just read and could actually see a picture of the past in my brain. Only this was MY picture of the past that reading made me make in my brain, not one that they showed me on TV, so in that way it was even more special.

Once I bought a table that came in a box. There were bolts and nuts and washers and pieces of wood. I won't lie, I was intimidated. Then I saw a piece of paper in the box that said "Instructions". It also said "Instructiones" on the other side of the piece of paper, but that did me no good. I couldn't read it.

I read the side that said "Instructions" and assembled the table. Reading made that possible.

Once I bought a table that came in a box. There were bolts and nuts and washers and pieces of wood. I won't lie, I was intimidated. Then I saw a piece of paper in the box that said "Instructions". It also said "Instructiones" on the other side of the piece of paper, but that did me no good. I couldn't read it.

I read the side that said "Instructions" and assembled the table. Reading made that possible.

AiJv2cA.gif

You lie! Men are genetically programmed to not read/follow instructions or ask for directions.

Back