• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Frontier Airlines

Frontier is what it is, a better/cheaper version of southwest - same with Spirit. If you aren't paying for it, never take it, but if you are, its fine for a family trip to Florida or something - and they fly out of rando airports, which usually helps with travel times/parking/etc - but is miserable if you have to sit in the AC airport or Trenton for an hour where they have no semblance of food or booze to take your mind off travelling on Frontier. They are all 737s, I think, so at least decent sized planes with 3 seats on either side, its not roomy by any means and getting seats together is a crapshoot if you don't pay.

If it is close, I would take most any major airline over them (Southwest is not a major airline), but it can be super cheap.

Southwest is a major airline: http://www.transtats.bts.gov/

Agree on Southwest. I don't see the appeal of the major carriers by comparison.

Huh? Frontier couldn't be more different than JetBlue. JetBlue gives you tons of stuff for free (internet, better snacks, more leg room, etc.). Frontier nickel-and-dimes you for everything.

You must be thinking of what Frontier was like five years ago before they transformed into a low-cost carrier

Yeah, this is what I've been thinking reading comments here. I flew Frontier in April and I would not recommend. Everything is an up charge.

Agree on Southwest. I don't see the appeal of the major carriers by comparison.

You don't see the appeal because you don't travel for work or have status with a major airline. If you flew 50,000+ miles a year it would be obvious.

You don't see the appeal because you don't travel for work or have status with a major airline. If you flew 50,000+ miles a year it would be obvious.

My husband travels at least once a week for work & prefers Southwest & Jet Blue if the flight schedules work with his site visit schedules. He has gotten screwed with US(eless)Air & American with flights home frequently getting cancelled and had the same problem 2 weeks ago with Delta.

ETA: Delta is his preferred of the "major" carriers.

Meh flying any airline sucks these days because the unwashed masses have access. It is only magnified on airlines that have bus fare like tickets such as spirit.

is it that the unwashed masses have access or that all airlines treat their customers like cattle?

or if you are 6'6.

Not 6'6", but 6'4" and got the front row aisle seat Sunday night on Southwest and it was the bee's knees. On the way out some dude tried to lean back but got a back full of knees and changed his mind.

Which airlines are good for 6'6"? United and American are no better. Or are you just pointing out the fact that you can more easily get the exit row?

Not 6'6", but 6'4" and got the front row aisle seat Sunday night on Southwest and it was the bee's knees. On the way out some dude tried to lean back but got a back full of knees and changed his mind.

Which airlines are good for 6'6"? United and American are no better. Or are you just pointing out the fact that you can more easily get the exit row?

i always get the exit row or bulkhead on real airlines. $35 well worth it.

The answer to your question is first came deregulation, then came falling prices, then came the unwashed masses, then came a race to the bottom as everything was deemed acceptable as long as the price was rock bottom.

My husband travels at least once a week for work & prefers Southwest & Jet Blue if the flight schedules work with his site visit schedules. He has gotten screwed with US(eless)Air & American with flights home frequently getting cancelled and had the same problem 2 weeks ago with Delta.

ETA: Delta is his preferred of the "major" carriers.

This. My priority is to get on and off the plane quickly and efficiently. I don't want to wait for a dozen other groups to board before me, then have to check my carry-on at the gate, then have to ask two people to get up so I can sit in my window seat.

Yeah, this is what I've been thinking reading comments here. I flew Frontier in April and I would not recommend. Everything is an up charge.

What up charges? Delta is my major airline of choice for work and I have to pay for better seats, wifi, entertainment, booze, food, etc. I'm honestly curious what kind of up charge frontier is charging that other airlines don't charge other than their carry-on policy. I'm actually a fan of the Frontier carry-on policy, less people slowing everything down trying to jam their giant bags all over the plane. I would say the majority of my Frontier flights have arrived in DEN or GSO early, partially due to this policy.

use a duffel-style weekdn bag and you never get gate checked.

What up charges? Delta is my major airline of choice for work and I have to pay for better seats, wifi, entertainment, booze, food, etc. I'm honestly curious what kind of up charge frontier is charging that other airlines don't charge other than their carry-on policy. I'm actually a fan of the Frontier carry-on policy, less people slowing everything down trying to jam their giant bags all over the plane. I would say the majority of my Frontier flights have arrived in DEN or GSO early, partially due to this policy.

You have to pay for any bag (except the personal item fitting under your seat) - carry on or checked. Don't disagree that the discouragement of carry on is always a bad thing, but you have to factor a bag charge over and above your ticket. To get a preferred seat (or really getting to choose any seat) is an upcharge. And as mentioned above you can only get water for free. Any other drinks are a charge. Those charges might not matter to you, but they are all charges above your ticket price. If you're traveling solo on a short day trip with little/no luggage it's not a bad option. But personally I'd rather take another option after my experience.

Also the tray tables are ridic

2015_07_21-traytable.jpg

tray-table-no-legs.jpg

You have to pay for any bag (except the personal item fitting under your seat) - carry on or checked. Don't disagree that the discouragement of carry on is always a bad thing, but you have to factor a bag charge over and above your ticket. To get a preferred seat (or really getting to choose any seat) is an upcharge. And as mentioned above you can only get water for free. Any other drinks are a charge. Those charges might not matter to you, but they are all charges above your ticket price. If you're traveling solo on a short day trip with little/no luggage it's not a bad option. But personally I'd rather take another option after my experience.

Also the tray tables are ridic

2015_07_21-traytable.jpg

tray-table-no-legs.jpg

But they make my hands look HUUUGE.

tpht89f.jpg

Back