• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Rejecting words and actions which perpetrate, support or encourage white supremacists

I couldn't help that wonder what it was that distinguished him to make him toxic to this administration. Sounded like business as usual to me. Too bad he didn't say "I'm the 2nd least racist person you'll ever meet", that would both be enough to pardon actual actions and also ingratiate himself to the prez.

California Murder Suspect Said to Have Trained With Extremist Hate Group

Now, three people with detailed knowledge of Woodward’s recent past have been able to shed more light on the young man’s extremist activities. They said Woodward was a member of the Atomwaffen Division, an armed Fascist group with the ultimate aim of overthrowing the U.S. government through the use of terrorism and guerrilla warfare.

The organization, which celebrates Hitler and Charles Manson, has been tied to four other murders and an elaborate bomb plot over the past eight months. Experts who study right-wing extremist movements believe Atomwaffen’s commitment to violence has made it one of the more dangerous groups to emerge from the new wave of white supremacists.

Woodward joined the organization in early 2016 and later traveled to Texas to attend Atomwaffen meetings and a three-day training camp, which involved instruction in firearms, hand-to-hand combat, camping and survival skills, the former member said.

Have any board conservatives explained why it’s more important to target Muslim extremists than hate groups?

If there was political will on the right to target these groups, we could save lives.

Have any board conservatives explained why it’s more important to target Muslim extremists than hate groups?

If there was political will on the right to target these groups, we could save lives.

Easier target. Even most rational liberals get a little uneasy around muslims with head scarves or the crazy dude on the subway chanting allah akbar, even if they don't admit it. It's an acceptable form of discrimination post 9/11.

The majority isn't scared of the white dude extremist, because it's harder to identify them.

White Supremacist Propaganda Surges on Campus

Since September 1, 2016, the ADL has recorded 346 incidents of white supremacist propaganda – fliers, stickers, banners, and posters – appearing on college and university campuses. These campaigns targeted 216 college campuses, from Ivy League schools to local community colleges, in 44 states and the District of Columbia

Vanguard%20salutes.jpg

last weekend my wife and I noticed a giant Confederate flag right next to I40 just west of Morganton. This morning there was a piece on NPR that the Sons of the Confederacy is looking at putting one up in each county along I40 in NC (as well as along I77, 95 and other major highways). It's in response to tearing down the monuments. There were some pretty choice quotes from the people installing them. But remember, it's not about hate or offensive.

There's a very popular farm in VA just outside DC that is well known for their fall festival (pumpkins, hayrides, slides, food, etc). They are not under fire for things they've put on their front sign. Things like "Resist White Supremacy."

‘Resist White Supremacy’: A sign. A farm. And the fury that followed.

27750364_10156351384012454_4657771586877376587_n.jpg

Cox Farms FB page

One of their recent FB posts:

Our little roadside signs have power. Most of the time, they let folks know that our hanging baskets are on sale, that today’s sweet corn is the best ever, that Santa will be at the market this weekend, or that the Fall Festival will be closed due to rain. During the off-season, sometimes we utilize them differently. Sometimes, we try to offer a smile on a daily commute. Sometimes, a message of support and inclusion to a community that is struggling makes someone’s day. Sometimes the messages on our signs make people think… and sometimes, they make some people angry.

Last week, some of our customers and neighbors asked us to clarify the sentiment behind our sign that said “Rise & Resist.” So, we changed it to read “Rise Up Against Injustice” and “Resist White Supremacy.” We sincerely believe that fighting injustice and white supremacy is a responsibility that can- and should- unite us all. We struggle to see how anyone other than self-identified white supremacists would take this as a personal attack.

Some have asked why we feel called to have such a message on our signs at all. Here is why:

Cox Farms is a small family-owned and family-operated business. The five of us are not just business-owners; we are human beings, members of the community, and concerned citizens of this country. We are also a family, and our shared values and principles are central to our business.

We’re not seeking to alienate folks who have different perspectives on tax reform or infrastructure spending. But when it comes to speaking out against systems of oppression and injustice, we see it as our moral responsibility to use our position of privilege and power, along with the tools of our trade and the platforms available to us, to engage visibly and actively in the fight for justice. Our roadside sign messages are one small way we do this.

Some folks have expressed that they would prefer not to know where we stand. We appreciate that being an informed consumer can sometimes be exhausting, disappointing, and frustrating. It can involve making hard choices about values and priorities. We respect that some have decided to no longer patronize our business as a result. We also know that there are some who may see our signs, roll their eyes, and still choose to come back for the kettle corn. We get it.

Desmond Tutu said, “If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor.” We consider the present state of our country to be far beyond partisan bickering or politics as usual. We see our nation in crisis, and peoples’ lives and safety and humanity are hanging in the balance. We are gravely concerned about the hateful words, destructive actions, and detrimental policies coming from this administration. We are not neutral, and we will not feign neutrality to appease our customers. We are committed to speaking out for love and justice, even if it costs us some business.

Almost twenty years ago, some visitors started a boycott because we fly rainbow flags over our hay tunnel, and they were concerned that Cox Farms was “promoting the homosexual agenda.” A few years ago, some folks got very angry about the Black Lives Matter sign hanging in a window of an owner’s home on the farm. Last year, some locals took offense at our “We love our Muslim neighbors” and “Immigrants make America great!” sign messages. What do all of the messages have in common? They are statements of inclusion. They attempt to tell members of our community, people that might feel discriminated against or alienated in a particular moment, “Hey, you are welcome here, too.” To our customers and neighbors that feel that this is somehow a divisive stance, we ask you to reflect on the possibility that your lived experience may be one that hasn’t necessitated a message of inclusion to make you feel welcome.

We’re not strangers to controversy or hard conversations. When we take a stand, we do so knowing that it could hurt our bottom line, and we are comfortable taking that risk. As a family, we know that when you’re on the right side of history, love wins. Right now, it means that some people in our community no longer feel comfortable supporting our business, and we respect that. While our intention was not to make anyone feel unwelcome, we certainly respect every consumer’s right to decide which businesses to support in our community.

And of course some great responses:

Sherry Anderson: Do you post against the hate from BLM or do you post and speak out about all the millions of babies killed through Abortion each year . Did you post against Obama giving millions to Muslim Brother hood ? let see maybe you posted against Hillary for letting our people fin for themselves in Benghazi . That's funny I don't recal seeing any other post from ya'll

Angela Albrink: So strange to put that on sign...how about just “be kind” or “show love”...or all lives matter, or God bless the military?...been A lot of places I never known anyone to be a white supremacist... but I have seen a lot of rude people...of ALL races.

Kristine Knapp: your sign offends me! It offends me because it just divides us more... it makes assumptions about certain races of people that are completely false. I am not what that sign claims and it is the minorities that are furthering the divide in this country... I get we need to to be more accepting of races but that goes both ways.

Lisa Lewis: So black supremacy is okay then? This is not a message of love, this is a message out to divide people even more. I would never ever visit your farm because you try to force your views on your customers. That is WRONG no matter what you say.

Linda Fisher Pulupa: Cox Farms.....you have LOST it. Not only customers...but your minds. Let racism die it's natural death, will you??? Oh....I understand...you gotta feel good about yourselves. It's truly disgusting and shameful and the sad fact is....you don't even understand why....nor do the 99% of people who've commented.

Thankfully the messages of support FAR outweigh the negatives ones.

*Meant to say "now" under fire (not "not" under fire). But won't let me edit for some reason...

The only people who should be offended by a sign that says “Resist White Supremacy” are white supremacists.

The only people who should be offended by a sign that says “Resist White Supremacy” are white supremacists.

Yeah, this one especially...

"your sign offends me! It offends me because it just divides us more... it makes assumptions about certain races of people that are completely false. I am not what that sign claims and it is the minorities that are furthering the divide in this country... I get we need to to be more accepting of races but that goes both ways."

Did you miss the "supremacy" part of the sign? It doesn't say "resist white people"

Sherry: "fin" for themselves lol (but Hillary!)

Angela: I love when white people come back with "ALL lives matter". Michael Che does a good bit in his Netflix stand up special about this. Black people are asking for a starting point that their lives matter. Not that they matter more than other lives, just matter at all. If you think that is a controversial opinion, you reveal a lot about yourself.

Kristine: [insert snowflake gif here] Also a hilarious juxtaposition in ONE SENTENCE where she claims that she isn't what the signs say but then immediately blames minorities for dividing the country.

Lisa: The post literally says, "Some folks have expressed that they would prefer not to know where we stand. We appreciate that being an informed consumer can sometimes be exhausting, disappointing, and frustrating. It can involve making hard choices about values and priorities. We respect that some have decided to no longer patronize our business as a result," which is saying that they are not pushing their views on others, just posting them for people to reflect on.

Linda: Racism will not die unless we actively work to kill it.

Similar phenomenon as people talking offense at the idea of dome Trump supporters being “deplorable”.

Truth outing?

Laura Ingraham says LeBron James should "shut up and dribble" and leave political comments to people who didn't leave high school a year early.

Tweet: https://twitter.com/bishopk0s/status/964348499931336704

Video (Streamable): https://streamable.com/tdw2q

Transcript:

I'm numb to this commentary, like! Must they run their mouths like that? Unfortunately, a lot of kids and some adults take these ignorant comments seriously. Look, there might be a cautionary lesson in LeBron for kids. This is what happens when you attempt to leave high school a year early to join the NBA. And it's always unwise to seek political advice from someone who gets paid a hundred million dollars a year to bounce a ball. Oh and LeBron and Kevin? You're great players but no one voted for you. Millions elected Trump to be their coach. So keep the political commentary to yourself, or as someone once said, "shut up and dribble".

This awful segment was in response to LeBron James and Kevin Durant speaking on Donald Trump, which you can see here.

Laura Ingraham says LeBron James should "shut up and dribble" and leave political comments to people who didn't leave high school a year early.

Tweet: https://twitter.com/bishopk0s/status/964348499931336704

Video (Streamable): https://streamable.com/tdw2q

Transcript:

I'm numb to this commentary, like! Must they run their mouths like that? Unfortunately, a lot of kids and some adults take these ignorant comments seriously. Look, there might be a cautionary lesson in LeBron for kids. This is what happens when you attempt to leave high school a year early to join the NBA. And it's always unwise to seek political advice from someone who gets paid a hundred million dollars a year to bounce a ball. Oh and LeBron and Kevin? You're great players but no one voted for you. Millions elected Trump to be their coach. So keep the political commentary to yourself, or as someone once said, "shut up and dribble".

This awful segment was in response to LeBron James and Kevin Durant speaking on Donald Trump, which you can see here.

At least FNC is consistent about wanting only informed professionals to speak about politics:

Yeah, this one especially...

"your sign offends me! It offends me because it just divides us more... it makes assumptions about certain races of people that are completely false. I am not what that sign claims and it is the minorities that are furthering the divide in this country... I get we need to to be more accepting of races but that goes both ways."

Did you miss the "supremacy" part of the sign? It doesn't say "resist white people"

Not to mention the whole "It offends me because it just divides us more" line. Many conservatives really seem to believe that only liberals are dividing the country, and that they're doing it by (the horror!) pointing out that racism, sexism, and lots of other "isms" still exist in our society. If only liberals would just keep their mouths shut and let conservatives do and say whatever they want, then there would be no division in the country, and we'd all be one happy and united family. No mention, of course, is made about Trump's insults and tweeting, or the clearly racist, sexist, and offensive comments pouring out of the GOP and Trump's base since the election. No, it's all the Democrats fault, as usual (or "minorities" in this case - how dare they point out the clearly racist and offensive remarks made about them by Trump and other white GOPers! Can't you just be quiet and let us say what we want? #MAGA)

Back