• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Top Chef 14: Charleston

Damn, it was painful watching the second team in action. John's emotional regression was pretty funny, though; "you rat-fucked me, Katsuji!"

I figured it was over for Katsuji once they aired his immigration story, which was about the only agreeable thing he's ever uttered in two seasons.

Really small nitpick, but did anyone else think it was BS that Katsuji didn't get to choose night 1 or 2, but rather had to win a coin-flip? He just picked second, at least give him the night selection (not that it mattered).

Not sure I follow this. He didn't pick 2nd. He picked John second to last, and Emily went to Shirley.

Maybe I got the details wrong, but whoever picked second should've been given the selection of service night IMO. Instead, there was a coin flip for night selection.

unless there were other shenanigans going on that were edited out I don't see the advantage of going 1st or 2nd night. If anything, katsuji's team should've had more time to get their shit together.

There was a comment from Tom that made it sound like their expectations would be the same or even higher for the second night because of the additional planning time.

It obviously didn't matter, though. Shirley's team decimated Katsuji's team.

woulda been a different ballgame if katsuji had picked emily instead of john

Going 2nd should have absolutely been an advantage. More time for menu planning, sourcing ingredients and front of the house items, divvying up responsibilities, etc.

Unfortunately, John was just a horrible executive chef. Still makes zero sense why Sheldon wasn't given the reigns to that team.

I don't think they had extra time for sourcing. It looks like each team was given two days: one for shopping/prep and the other service. So the second team started their shopping/prep day the day the first team did service. And they pretty much sat around the house during the first team's shopping/prep day when pretty much all they could was menu plan.

Going 2nd should have absolutely been an advantage. More time for menu planning, sourcing ingredients and front of the house items, divvying up responsibilities, etc.

Unfortunately, John was just a horrible executive chef. Still makes zero sense why Sheldon wasn't given the reigns to that team.

i seriously doubt they gave the 2nd team more time to do these things. they might have more time to refine menu and discuss strategy in the home

woulda been a different ballgame if katsuji had picked emily instead of john

probably. emily dodges another bullet

i think from the TV viewer's perspective it's clear that john was going to be a terrible leader/team player but the guy runs restaurants so Katsuji's strategy wasn't awful, just his decision to make 3 dishes

I mean I don't think they could have taken their cell phones from them to prevent them from calling whole foods/restaurant depot and seeing what was available, but maybe that was written in the rules.

Either way, still an advantage to menu plan and divvy up the responsibilities. The fact that with all that time, no one knew that John was solely planning on expediting and not cooking during service is absurd.

I mean I don't think they could have taken their cell phones from them to prevent them from calling whole foods/restaurant depot and seeing what was available, but maybe that was written in the rules.

Either way, still an advantage to menu plan and divvy up the responsibilities. The fact that with all that time, no one knew that John was solely planning on expediting and not cooking during service is absurd.
iirc their cell phone usage is severely limited during filming. This is why they have to memorize baking recipes, etc.

I was super confused by Katsuji's immigration story, he made it seem like he still might not be legal and rather than tell him to become legal, culinary school agreed to hide it if he became a good chef? That seems shady.

I think they give them phones to use in situations like this. You always see them calling between Restaurant Depot and Whole Foods during RW challenges.

iirc their cell phone usage is severely limited during filming. This is why they have to memorize baking recipes, etc.

I was super confused by Katsuji's immigration story, he made it seem like he still might not be legal and rather than tell him to become legal, culinary school agreed to hide it if he became a good chef? That seems shady.

more or less the story of half the restaurant industry

Emily passing on all of those blind taste tests is just SO Emily.

So is making cake at a $500 per ticket event. They were being kind to just how bad of an idea that was

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back