• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Eater's Best American Restaurants 2016

Ippudo was legit good, but it felt lacking compared to even the basic ramen houses I found in Tokyo. I think it had a lot to do with the noodles. I also think my expectations are too high.

Totto Ramen in Manhattan is pretty damn good too.

I have heard from Japanese and Korean folks that Chang is still the only person taking dashi seriously enough to get ramen right in America. Not sure that's true, and I certainly can't tell the difference enough, but Momofuku is damn good.

Interesting indeed. I have a hard time believing ATL would take first on a global stage, or even USA (Vegas, New Orleans come to mind) although I did have a wild time at the Pink Pony once upon a time.

I dunno about global since I've never been to strip clubs in Macau, but I will say that the American Strip Club as we know it, especially the best forms of it, doesnt really exist anywhere else in the world. The rest of the world isnt so uptight about sex, so they basically just have brothels, or thinly disguised brothels instead. There is no need for the crazy dance show make it rain thing.

New Orleans is awful, Vegas might be an argument, and probably Miami is close.

he was never on Top Chef, but he did win the Beard award for Best Chef Mid-Atlantic this year

damnit I don't know why I thought that

This list inspired me to try and make a reservation at Woodberry for my girlfriend's birthday next weekend actually, but she may have a different idea :confused:

I've said it before but I thought the ramen at Momofuku DC was legit bad. Way too fatty/greasy. I want a rich broth, not liquified pork.

Ah yeah. Agreed. Eater is a good place to start. I tend to like it better than Yelp/TripAdvisor/UrbanSpoon/whatever. When it comes to food recs, you want the expert picks rather than the crowd. May be different when it comes to hotels or places to visit.

I know Bill Addison. He knows food.

Interesting indeed. I have a hard time believing ATL would take first on a global stage, or even USA (Vegas, New Orleans come to mind) although I did have a wild time at the Pink Pony once upon a time.

Pink Pony is for noobs

I dont remember everything, went with my brother last minute bc we were in town for wedding. No rez but scored two seats at the bar in the basement. Ordered a bunch of smallish plates, a salad with some sort of heritage breed shaved celery that was like nothing id ever tasted but at the same time seemed like what real celery should taste like. And then like a spin on shrimp and grits with crispy rice and an egg instead maybe. We ended up sharing like 5-6 plates. All were unreal. I still want to try cat bird seat in Nashville, but it would be hard to not just go back to Husk if I only had one meal.

cat bird makes a great stiff cock

eat at Prince's

I always thought Charleston was better for drinking than eating. Maybe I'm an alcoholic though.

I can vouch for Blue Hill at Stone Barns as best restaurant in America. Went there on the tail end of my honeymoon. No meal I've ever had comes close to touching it.

I've wanted to go here after I saw that dude's Chef's Table episode, but that might also be because I was watching it with this chick I dig who really wanted to go there and his other place in the city. She might have actually been to his place in the city, I forget.

Is there a comparable spiciness

Drink 3 tablespoons of this

224ef8b1-dd7d-473b-bd4f-79f8edae3819_1.68def840152e9267367c2db97c079694.jpeg

we have a hot chicken place here, and while I love spicy food, I can't go above medium. first time I went I got 1 chicken tender in the hot (there are several levels above that), and while I could handle it, it wouldn't make for an enjoyable meal if I did my entree at that.

Back