• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest's own Tommy Elrod caught leaking football information to other teams

This is really distressing news, to hear that a Wake grad, former football player and former coach at Wake is the person alleged to have done the leaking of game plans. It is just shameful he would use his connections and access to do potentially significant damage to his alma mater. I too will be very interested in the answers to the questions of what motivated him to do this, what he has or expected to get from it, and who the other teams involved (beyond the known Louisville) might be.

Fuck this dude. Let's excommunicate him. Elrod Hubbard OUT!

Holy Mother of God. You have got to be kidding me.

He was definitely upset after he wasn't retained by Clawson, but to my understanding, Wellman made sure he was taken care of...hence the IMG job and unlimited access to Wake Forest football.

To say I'm shocked is an understatement. Would have never, ever expected this from Elrod. WFU is his alma mater for Christ's sake.

ETA: was just told that he acquired his day job with the help of his WFU connections. Wellman and the entire athletic dept had a real soft spot for him and his family- especially after the death of his infant son.

Wow. Just freaking wow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I don't believe anyone from Grobe's staff was retained. It's not like he was singled out.

We thought he was a good recruiter but then we realized all the affluent white kids from Duval over performed due to good high school coaching and were maxed out athletically.

See STL Cardinals head of scouting

That was different. The theft of the info wasn't the bad shit, it was the unlawful access to computer--i.e., hacking. That shit has outrageous criminal penalties, but the feds can only bring the charges in high profile cases.

BUT that's now two of my favorite sports teams who have been screwed actual cheating.

He's completely deleted everything he has on the Internet - Twitter, LinkedIn, Facebook, etc. From the Google result on his LinkedIn, he's a Business Development Director at Verger Capital Management.

ETA: not listed on that company's website, as someone has posted.
Everything except his info on WIN.

That was different. The theft of the info wasn't the bad shit, it was the unlawful access to computer--i.e., hacking. That shit has outrageous criminal penalties, but the feds can only bring the charges in high profile cases.

BUT that's now two of my favorite sports teams who have been screwed actual cheating.

I believe the Cards are trying to get him placed as an intern with the Cubs

Wellman really should release the info on what schools were involved unless they take action themselves. Any program that used his information should be penalized by the ncaa or at least identified by the conference. Presidents should be up in arms about their schools cheating like they are about politics. One also has to wonder if he released player injury info that could have provided schools insight into how to eliminate significant players like Kendall and John. That would simply be sick!

So if he were betting against us how'd he do? I thought we covered a good deal of spreads

Theft of proprietary information can land you in federal pound-in-the-ass prison. So, yes, he's got big, big problems.

Was it theft if it was given to him?

To echo PaddyWF and quote Clawson himself...a lot:

Statement from Dave Clawson, Wake Forest Head Football Coach:
I am extremely disappointed that our confidential and proprietary game preparation was compromised. It’s incomprehensible that a former Wake Forest student-athlete, graduate-assistant, full-time football coach, and current radio analyst for the school, would betray his alma mater. We allowed him to have full access to our players, team functions, film room, and practices. He violated our trust which negatively impacted our entire program. I am glad we have taken steps to ensure it will not happen in the future. At this point, this is a matter for Ron Wellman and others to act on. My staff and I are focused on Temple and preparing the team for the Military Bowl.

So much for not having open practices.

The Why is still the most interesting unanswered question to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep. If I remember correctly, he was one of the only members of Grobe staff considered a contender for Clawson's staff.

Bitter over not being retained on staff is my best guess.

Though pretty stealth to take a radio gig and do this

I remain suspicious of alums who coach at Wake and seemingly can't coach anywhere else. It upsets me that three men I went to Wake with are the poster children for this.

If you're truly a coach, work you way back up the ladder. If you're a hanger on, I guess you go manage a dairy shop or get taken care of and still screw over the people who took care of you.

I had a class with him and he definitely gave off the "I'm a football player so I'm cool" vibe, even though he was a scrub. But I had been impressed with him on the radio, and then my heart went out to him over that story about his baby, as did all of ours. I suppose ESPN will not resurrect that piece during this reporting because it involves his family.

Some very funny comments on this thread, including that we're now a big-time program and "vacate the losses!" Well done.
My guess is with his Grobe connections he'll be a nice fit at Baylor.

I wonder if this will be a distraction or a rallying cry for our players. Probably the latter. They already dealt with the distraction when the first news broke about a breach.

This makes me want to listen to some radio clips around the time the breach was announced. He had to be aware that trouble could be brewing.

The "demon" deacon - ESPN 30for30 in eight years!

Still can't believe we won 6 games this year despite this news....

Back