• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Good bourbon

On that list I would go with Taylor's or Willet depending on what they have. Maybe Belle Mead which I think is decent. Four Roses is errywhere around me.

Willetts are just too much of a crap-shoot at a bar unless they know the provenance of the bourbon, which they probably won't. Most likely Heaven Hill if it's bourbon, although they buy barrels from other distilleries as well. The Willett ryes are mostly sourced from LDI (just like Bulleit rye, High West, Templeton, etc.) so you know what to expect there.

Last edited:
FWIW they also had a rye list which I didn't see when I posted the list above, not even sure if it was online. I went with the Four Roses as a pre-meal cocktail and had both the Manhattan and White Whiskey Sour throughout the meal. Deeeeeeeeeeeelicious, especially the white whiskey sour.

Touchdown Jesus Whisky Day 11: Mackmyra Brukswhisky. This is a Swedish whiskey. VERY pale in color; almost clear. Also very light on the palate. I get some sweetness, but mostly hints of earthiness. This is a pretty delicate whiskey and drinks very smoothly, especially at just 82.8 proof. It's interesting and could be a good gift idea if for no other reason than it is Swedish.

This isn't good. Of course, it will take approx 8-10 years for us to feel the impact. Still, the potential issue that we could be running out of timber with which to make barrels is a very real (as the barrel companies complete with the cabinet makers, floor makers, picture frame makers, etc. for hardwoods).

Four Roses Scales Back Production Due To Barrel Shortage
December 11, 2013

Bourbon producer Four Roses Distillery is being forced to temporarily scale back production due to an ongoing barrel shortage. According to local news reports, the distillery’s barrel supplier—Independent Stave Company—has recently had issues sourcing American white oak lumber, leading Four Roses to consider shutting down operations completely for the time-being. In an effort to avoid layoffs, however, the company—which normally produces around 285 barrels of Bourbon a day—has made the decision to instead slow daily production on a temporary basis and try to make up the difference next summer at the end of the distilling season. Four Roses, owned by Japan’s Kirin Holdings Co. Ltd., is currently short an estimated 2,000-2,500 barrels.

In addition to Four Roses, Independent Stave’s clients include Sazerac, Beam Inc., Diageo and Heaven Hill Distilleries, among others. Beam, for one, tells SND it doesn’t expect Independent Stave’s current supply issues to affect its own production. “Given our preferred supply arrangements, we’re fully confident in our barrel supply to support the continued growth of our Bourbon business,” says Chris Bauder, Beam’s general manager, whiskies.

http://www.shankennewsdaily.com/ind...cales-back-production-due-to-barrel-shortage/

New Job Jesus Whisky Day 12: Evan Williams Single Barrel 2003 Vintage. I was pretty skeptical of this one, but I'm actually pleased with it. It's got a lot of dark sweetness and is pretty oaky. A little acerbic on the finish but not totally unappealing. And at $30ish I think it's a good price for a decent drink. I do wish it were higher proof (it's 86) though.

Jeezey Creezy Whisky Day 13: Balcones Single Malt. Had this a number of times in the past. I definitely prefer it to their corn-based offerings. It's really sweet with a ton of different flavors from dried fruits to holiday spices to oak. It's about 106 proof which is a good amount of heat while still easy to sip on. Not my favorite whiskey in the world, but it's definitely good.

Jeezey Creezy Whisky Day 13: Balcones Single Malt. Had this a number of times in the past. I definitely prefer it to their corn-based offerings. It's really sweet with a ton of different flavors from dried fruits to holiday spices to oak. It's about 106 proof which is a good amount of heat while still easy to sip on. Not my favorite whiskey in the world, but it's definitely good.

Glad to see you got back on the horse.

How much did this calendar cost, if you don't mind me asking.

My brother sent me a link of gifts for people who like to drink and the calendar was listed for $245.

My brother sent me a link of gifts for people who like to drink and the calendar was listed for $245.

That seems about right. THIS is the regular one. THIS is the premium one. It will be a tough decision next year.

Talked to the ABC store near work about Four Roses, and requested the Four Roses Single Barrel (they are the only place nearby that even carries the small batch) and she said she would consider ordering the Limited Edition versions

Working on a bottle of Compass Box hedonism. I prefer single malt to blended scotch, but this is awesome stuff

Is bourbon much more expensive in NYC vs SC? I'm gonna be up there seeing some friends but they don't drink bourbon and I'd like to have a couple of drinks before we go out.

It's been a while since I bought any Elijah Craig...mostly because I've been heartbroken ever since the 18 year went away. I don't remember really caring for the 12 year in the past, but decided to pick up a bottle on a whim last night when the local ABC was out of Four Roses Single. Much better than I remember. Maybe I'm ready to move on. #RIP18yearEC

Gimme dat Jesus Whisky Day 14: Tomintoul 14 Year Single Malt Scotch. This one is extremely light in color. Sweet with some light smoke but nothing overpowering. Hints of pineapple. A little oak. Only 92 proof, but has a nice heat to it. I like it quite a bit. Would most defs drink again.

As others posted it was about $245 plus shipping. Came out to $275 or so at the end of the day. And I think it's worth every penny. I really enjoy opening something new every day. Next year I might try the premium.

Is bourbon much more expensive in NYC vs SC? I'm gonna be up there seeing some friends but they don't drink bourbon and I'd like to have a couple of drinks before we go out.

Some stuff is, some isn't. A couple of years ago I bought a Pappy 20 in Manhattan for $99 - it was selling for $120 in Atlanta. The bigger liquor stores had higher prices...I found better deals in the small corner stores.

Back