• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Good bourbon

Joining wfudkn in rye night. Going with a pour of baby Saz.

a7e7y8u2.jpg

Drinking this tonight myself. First time having it - delicious!

Four Roses has registered the label for their 2014 Limited Edition Single Barrel. it will be an 11 year OESF recipe.

(Sorry for the repost...was having trouble with the pictures.)

https://www.ttbonline.gov/colasonli...t.do?filename=1L o2 four roses.jpg&filetype=l

B&D - how do the recipes break down. I've read this article (http://bourbondork.blogspot.com/2009/09/four-roses-bourbon-variety-show.html) which explains that the second and fourth character of the recipe is really what tells you what mashbill you have. What do the first and third characters stand for (seems as if it's "O" and "S" for all mashbills)?

B&D - how do the recipes break down. I've read this article (http://bourbondork.blogspot.com/2009/09/four-roses-bourbon-variety-show.html) which explains that the second and fourth character of the recipe is really what tells you what mashbill you have. What do the first and third characters stand for (seems as if it's "O" and "S" for all mashbills)?

Explained in detail: http://www.fourrosesbourbon.com/ten-unique-bourbon-recipes/

In a nutshell:

O = Designates produced at the Four Roses Distillery in Lawrenceburg, KY.
E = The mashbill that is 75% corn, 20% rye, 5% malted barley.
B = The mashbill that is 60% corn, 35% rye, 5% malted barley.
S = Designates straight whiskey distillation.
V/K/O/Q/F = Yeast strain used to create flavor characteristics.

The O means that it was distilled at the Four Roses Distillery which is in Lawrenceburg, KY.
The S means that it is a straight whiskey.

Straight whiskey means that it has been aged for at least two years and cannot go into the barrel at more than 125 proof. Straight whiskey that is under four years of age must also carry an age statement, so if there's no age listed on the bottle you know it's at least four years old.

I hadn't been on Greg's site in a while so I'm glad you posted that link. Here's what he has to say about OGD114. I've said many times that I think this is the only Beam product that is really worth buying...if anyone hasn't tried it yet they should definitely pick up a bottle!

Readers of this blog know that I do a lot of personal barrel picks and that tends to be my focus in many of my posts. Because of this I don't write much about off the shelf offerings but that because I really don't buy that many plus there are many other bloggers that write about regular offerings.

I won't provide a review of Old Grand Dad 114 at his time but I did want to alert readers to be on the lookout for the latest batch of ODG114. Specifically, the 2012 and 2013 releases have been much better than previous releases. I can't speak as to why but many of my fellow enthusiasts are talking about this bourbon and commenting on the quality of the pour.

In order to find out the bottling year, flip the bottle over and look for a 12 or 13 in the upper right corner of the bottom. I managed to find another 2012 bottle yesterday and picked it up for $22; what a deal.

This bourbon is a great drinker, full of flavor and the proof is really under control. I've already killed off one bottle but I've bunkered 5 others so I can enjoy this for years to come.

(here's the required "taste is subjective" disclaimer)

Worth the investment?
Now available online only at FineWineAndGoodSpirits.com
Booker's 25th Anniversary Commemorative Selection Bourbon!

"25 years ago, sixth generation Beam Master Distiller, Booker Noe, introduced his own signature bourbon, Booker’s® True Barrel Bourbon. Inspired by a 200-year-old tradition, Booker’s was the first bourbon bottled straight-from-the-barrel, uncut and unfiltered. First created as a holiday gift for his friends, this bourbon was so well-received that Booker decided to make it available to bourbon lovers worldwide, to the joy of spirit connoisseurs everywhere.

"To commemorate this landmark occasion in bourbon history, Booker’s now introduces its 25th Anniversary Commemorative Selection a quarter of a century later. The Noe lineage lives on as Booker’s son, Fred, and grandson, Freddie Jr., have hand-selected the barrels for this limited time offer from Booker’s four preferred rackhouse locations at the Clermont, KY distillery.

"With a liquid that lives up to its original inspiration, the 25th Anniversary Selection will be bottled at its natural proof, uncut and unfiltered, and extra-aged – between nine and eleven years. With a huge vanilla nose, the liquid’s intense flavor profile ranges from oak tannin and smoky vanilla to lighter tones of mocha and coffee."

—Distiller's notes

Limited quantities are available and will be sold on a first-come, first-served basis. Limit of 2 bottles per customer

GLIv2370ugWBlZOpfQo7TmN0SXAQ8NFtJoVhOU1uTePeiajCP0LbiqGXml-dqF9jozl1moWM-uUkNT_Xii8xhmDTrMxDF70JLXobrEIz=s0-d-e1-ft

8fVDLydJYTa4QbSgKz1fPXNYVMyJnvhmxba5T56OWw2w8CUQn5jxAtEWGKcVNJAXzOdDPPvnBRH09iUaIrDPdWSRY_n8hGJNWU_UR3X-=s0-d-e1-ft

Well it will taste like Booker's, so if you're a fan of the regular release it might be worth picking up a bottle or two. The extra few years will probably help a bit. At $100 or so I will probably pass. If you pick one up let us know what you think!

Well it will taste like Booker's, so if you're a fan of the regular release it might be worth picking up a bottle or two. The extra few years will probably help a bit. At $100 or so I will probably pass. If you pick one up let us know what you think!

My initial thought is that $100 is too steep for that, as well. At $60-75, I would have considered.

Last edited:
Charlotte's allotment sold out in an hour or so this morning for $125 per. Facepalm

Dad and I are enjoying a Pappy 15 from 2008 tonight and listening to the Avett Brothers while up at THE beach this weekend.

I had my first Pappy 20 year last week. My mock trial coach promised to buy me a bottle if we made it to nationals. We didn't make it quite that far, so I didn't get to keep the whole bottle. But I had a few glasses. It. Was. Awesome.

Worth the investment?

Booker's 25th Anniversary Commemorative Selection Bourbon

"25 years ago, sixth generation Beam Master Distiller, Booker Noe, introduced his own signature bourbon, Booker’s® True Barrel Bourbon. Inspired by a 200-year-old tradition, Booker’s was the first bourbon bottled straight-from-the-barrel, uncut and unfiltered. First created as a holiday gift for his friends, this bourbon was so well-received that Booker decided to make it available to bourbon lovers worldwide, to the joy of spirit connoisseurs everywhere.

"To commemorate this landmark occasion in bourbon history, Booker’s now introduces its 25th Anniversary Commemorative Selection a quarter of a century later. The Noe lineage lives on as Booker’s son, Fred, and grandson, Freddie Jr., have hand-selected the barrels for this limited time offer from Booker’s four preferred rackhouse locations at the Clermont, KY distillery.

"With a liquid that lives up to its original inspiration, the 25th Anniversary Selection will be bottled at its natural proof, uncut and unfiltered, and extra-aged – between nine and eleven years. With a huge vanilla nose, the liquid’s intense flavor profile ranges from oak tannin and smoky vanilla to lighter tones of mocha and coffee."

—Distiller's notes

GLIv2370ugWBlZOpfQo7TmN0SXAQ8NFtJoVhOU1uTePeiajCP0LbiqGXml-dqF9jozl1moWM-uUkNT_Xii8xhmDTrMxDF70JLXobrEIz=s0-d-e1-ft

]

I've actually heard some pretty good things about this (aside from the price). The consensus is that it still obviously tastes like Booker's, but the additional years in the barrel has done it some good.

Booker's is good but man it's strong
I can appreciate the subtle flavors (vanilla, caramel etc.) more with OWA

Going to vegas for a few days this week. Does anyone know of any good bourbon bars? I have a list of several I found on Google, but wanted to see if anyone had first hand experience.

Think I have found the best Whisky selection in town (DC) at a most unassuming place. A little spendy on some things (like a $570 Willet) but they have a ton. Modern Liquor on 9th.

Back