• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Good bourbon

We got ours from www.thespiritco.com - I did the single barrel this year and we got a couple for family as gifts. The real source is Drinks by the Dram though.

Whiskey 12 is Mortlach 16 yr (86.8 pf). This is finished in sherry casks and has that raisiny sweetness. It’s or try deep and rich and a little spicy, but overall really smooth. It’s a totally good, tasty whiskey. Nothing spectacular or amazing, but it’s the kind of whiskey that literally every whiskey drinker would like.

Never been a fan of the Dalmore offerings honestly.

Whiskey 13 is Glen Scotia 18 year (92pf). This one too is finished in sherry casks, and the sweetness defs comes through. I get orange peel and some spiciness like ginger or red hots. I dig it. Would defs drink again.

Whiskey 14 is Glen Grant 18 yr Rare Edition (86 pf). This one is quite light in color and not much to the nose. Tastes fuller than it looks, but overall relatively light and thin. I get a little vanilla and maybe honey. Not a whole lot else. I find this to be quite boring. Not bad by any means, just meh.

Is $300 unreasonable? It’s super hard to get, right?

I mean, I would never pay $300 for it. It's super hard to get though and there are a lot of Blanton's fanboys. If I had a Blanton's Gold I was looking to sell I'd try to sell it around there.

FWIW, the most recent Gold sale I saw on one of my groups was about 6 months ago for $265

Whiskey day 3 is something I’ve never seen before. Mackmyra Moment Prestige (92.2pf). This is a Swedish whiskey, aged 11 years in casks that were used previously for champagne. Pretty excited since I don’t think I’ve ever seen that before. Slightly buttery and nutty on the nose. Tastes is a little herbal, a little sweet and maybe a little peachy. A nice light burn to it. No smoke that I can sense. I really like it a lot. I’m gonna see if I can find a bottle.

So Whiskey 15 is another Mackmyra, this one the Moment Fjällmark (84 pf). This one was finished in casks that held previously cloudberry wine ( ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ ) as well as casks that held PX and Oloroso sherry. This is very different from the other Mackmyrna. This is very rich and buttery. Lots of vanilla and candied fruit. The sherry casks smack you in the face for sure. It’s good and different, but I wouldn’t say it’s my favorite. Definitely unique and I don’t know what I would compare it to.

What’s a fair resale price for Blanton’s Gold? Friend has a bottle.

According to Forbes Magazine's buy/sell/hold page this month:
"Blanton's Gold- HOLD
Once made for export only, this 103-proof beauty will age like real gold. If you manage to find it for under $200, keep it sealed and watch it climb".

And if you're interested, their "buy" pick is Uncle Nearest 1820, and "sell" is Pappy 23 y/o.

On the 16th day of Christmas Jesus brought to me, Glengoyne 21 yr (86 pf). They're really liking the sherry cask bottles this year. This one drinks quite a bit hotter than 86 proof, but it's a nice heat. It's oaky and I definitely get the sherry sweetness and dried fruit. It kind of tastes like a brandy in some ways. This is a really, really nice whiskey and I'm expecting a text from my dad soon saying how much he likes it. This is right up his alley.

Whiskey 17 is Michters 10 yr bourbon (94.4 pf). I have a bottle of the 10 yr rye at home which I love, but haven't had M10 bourbon in a while. This is deep and kinda punchy. I get orange and cinnamon with a decent burn to it. It's quite warming. I think I like the rye more than the bourbon, but this is certainly a very nice bourbon if you can find it.

Back