• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Good bourbon

Sipping on some Blantons while watching the charcoal burn down in the grill. Such a tasty bourbon.

Made a punch this weekend for a party that turned out great. It's from PS7's...

Old Faithful Punch (Gina Chersevani)
One 750-ml bottle bourbon (I used Woodford Reserve)
1 cup superfine sugar
32 ounces fresh Ruby Red grapefruit juice
20 dashes of grapefruit bitters (substitute 15 dashes Peychaud's and 5 ounces fresh lemon juice if no grapefruit bitters)
One-half 750-ml bottle St-Germain elderflower liqueur
20 strips of grapefruit zest
One 750-ml bottle chilled sparkling water
1/2 cup mint leaves, for garnish
Ice

Add the bourbon, st. germaine, and sugar - whisk until completely diluted. Add the grapefruit juice, zest, and bittters. Mix thoroughly and put in the fridge for 2-3 hours. Remove from fridge, add the sparkling water, serve over ice with mint sprig garnish.

Good stuff.

Made a punch this weekend for a party that turned out great. It's from PS7's...

Old Faithful Punch (Gina Chersevani)
One 750-ml bottle bourbon (I used Woodford Reserve)
1 cup superfine sugar
32 ounces fresh Ruby Red grapefruit juice
20 dashes of grapefruit bitters (substitute 15 dashes Peychaud's and 5 ounces fresh lemon juice if no grapefruit bitters)
One-half 750-ml bottle St-Germain elderflower liqueur
20 strips of grapefruit zest
One 750-ml bottle chilled sparkling water
1/2 cup mint leaves, for garnish
Ice

Add the bourbon, st. germaine, and sugar - whisk until completely diluted. Add the grapefruit juice, zest, and bittters. Mix thoroughly and put in the fridge for 2-3 hours. Remove from fridge, add the sparkling water, serve over ice with mint sprig garnish.

Good stuff.

Can't be good. You're mixing bourbon with something other than water!!!

:willynilly:

I don't disagree, but I've found that the quality of the worst ingredient in the drink has more influence on the taste than the quality of the best ingredient. That is, with a mid-shelf liquor and bottom-shelf mixer, you're better off replacing the mixer with mid-tier than going to top-shelf liquor.

This is EXACTLY what I said here:

"BTW, you should never ruin good liquor by mixing it with anything other than ice or maybe a prescribed bit of water (many scotches and bourbons do suggest adding water)"

"BTW, you should never ruin good liquor by mixing it with anything other than ice or maybe a prescribed bit of water (many scotches and bourbons do suggest adding water)"

No. That's nothing like what you said. You said you should only add water, whether liquid or frozen. I said that the mixer should come from the same level of shelf as the booze. Do you see the difference?

RJ- read your own post. It says only ice or water. Then read tuffalo's post- it says top shelf mixers, including, but not limited to, water and ice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No. That's nothing like what you said. You said you should only add water, whether liquid or frozen. I said that the mixer should come from the same level of shelf as the booze. Do you see the difference?

That's why I have pure glacier ice shipped in for my bourbon. ;)

RJ- read your own post. It says only ice or water. Then read tuffalo's post- it says top shelf mixers, including, but not limited to, water and ice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bojangle, there are no mixers that equal a truly top shelf bourbon or scotch.

There's only so much of a juice or a fruit or a soda that you can get.

Even just the difference between a Jim Beam and a Bookers or a Knob Creek is much greater than the difference between mixers.

Plus, as another poster and I showed, mkaers of bourbon and scotch do suggest adding water or ice to open up the flavor of their products.

We are all supposed to take drinking advice from the guy who makes 5 oz. shaken Knob Creek "martinis"?

You're out of your element RJ.

You're so right....you know so much more than people who have $1M+ businesses in this industry.

You should call them and have them call all of the people in the industry and then tell us what they said, that's the best way to educate the boards.

You're so right....you know so much more than people who have $1M+ businesses in this industry.

So Olive Garden makes the best Italian food? McDonald's knows the best way to make a hamburger? What great logic.

Plus, as another poster and I showed, mkaers of bourbon and scotch do suggest adding water or ice to open up the flavor of their products.

No one is arguing otherwise, despite the number of times you restate this.

You yourself are disagreeing with people at Buffalo Trace, the distillery that makes Pappy Van Winkle, George T Stagg, Blanton's, Eagle Rare, etc etc. No one says one can't or shouldn't add water or ice to enjoy their bourbon. That is a total red herring and indicative of your terrible reading comprehension (another good reason to neg rep you). The disagreement is whether a "good" bourbon can or should be mixed with anything else, and they guys who make the very best whiskeys in the whole world say the drinker should do whatever they like.

Over the holidays I've decided I'm going to endeavor to make a perfect Old Fashioned.

It's 12:30 and I'm already looking forward to getting home and pouring another Elijah 18.

Back