• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Astronomy Thread I: Dark Matter, Dark Energy and Dark Flow

Which do you think is more strange?

• Total voters
Quantum mechanics is very, very strange and we just don't understand it.

Relativity deals with large objects and for the most part, our observations indicate that causality stands.
One can still observe changes that can not be explained. Two particles moving away from each other at the speed of light can sometimes communicate..the so called quantum entanglement problem which BTW is just a theory about why that happens. How does the information get from one to the other without going faster? Same with theories on the uniformity of c. Some calculations suggest that c was higher early on but now seems to be uniformly lower. That implies mixing...on opposite sides of a universe expanding at c...and again means some sort of information exchange faster than c.

Very intriguing problems.

One can still observe changes that can not be explained. Two particles moving away from each other at the speed of light can sometimes communicate..the so called quantum entanglement problem which BTW is just a theory about why that happens. How does the information get from one to the other without going faster? Same with theories on the uniformity of c. Some calculations suggest that c was higher early on but now seems to be uniformly lower. That implies mixing...on opposite sides of a universe expanding at c...and again means some sort of information exchange faster than c.

Very intriguing problems.

I didn't say that you couldn't observe changes that cannot be explained. That is what I meant when I said that quantum mechanics is very strange. Much of our understanding of physics breaks down at quantum levels.

I have heard about some of the theory's that the speed of light may not be a constant and that early on in the universe, it was much faster, but they are very fringe topics and there is almost no evidence to support them.

edit: I think it was Feynman that said, "I think I can safely say that no one understands quantum mechanics." :p

edit: I think it was Feynman that said, "I think I can safely say that no one understands quantum mechanics." :p
Love Feynman. My favorite quote..

"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts."

The electron Double slit experiment still freaks me out.

Awesome picture. You can see the effect of dark matter through gravitational lensing.

hst_macsj1206.jpg

LkCa-15-b_andstar.jpg

This is possibly the first ever image of a planet being born. The image on the right shows material(in red) accumulating onto the planet(in blue.) Pretty cool!

No way the earth has been around that long, bro. I'm taking God's word on this one.

RISE FROM YOUR GRAVE!

I thought this was pretty cool!

TW-what do you mean when you say an alt universe is leaving its "imprint" on ours? Is it a place where the two universes are interacting? I don't understand the terminology.

TW-what do you mean when you say an alt universe is leaving its "imprint" on ours? Is it a place where the two universes are interacting? I don't understand the terminology.

Imprint as in the gravitational pull of the alternate universe being felt in our own. You can see that in the video above. One ball is our universe, the other balls are alternate universe. Theoretically, of course.

Simulations back up theory that Universe is a hologram

A ten-dimensional theory of gravity makes the same predictions as standard quantum physics in fewer dimensions.
A team of physicists has provided some of the clearest evidence yet that our Universe could be just one big projection...Neither of the model universes explored by the Japanese team resembles our own, Maldacena notes. The cosmos with a black hole has ten dimensions, with eight of them forming an eight-dimensional sphere. The lower-dimensional, gravity-free one has but a single dimension, and its menagerie of quantum particles resembles a group of idealized springs, or harmonic oscillators, attached to one another.

Nevertheless, says Maldacena, the numerical proof that these two seemingly disparate worlds are actually identical gives hope that the gravitational properties of our Universe can one day be explained by a simpler cosmos purely in terms of quantum theory.
http://www.nature.com/news/simulations-back-up-theory-that-universe-is-a-hologram-1.14328

Just say this from Twitter. Can someone translate?

By hologram, they mean that the math says that our universe could reside inside another universe. String theory relies on there being 10 dimensions to make sense. Strings are 1 dimensional particles(strings, really.) The theory breaks apart when you allow strings to exist in more than one dimension and the rest of the universe to have less than 10 dimensions.

These scientists were able to show mathematically that the 1 dimensional universe in which strings could reside, can exist inside a 10 dimensional universe. This is something that wasn't thought possible up until this point. You can look at it like watching a movie. You are seeing it in 2D on the screen, but you know it was filmed in 3d. Now, just imagine you are watching a 1d movie, but it was filmed in 10d.

By hologram, they mean that the math says that our universe could reside inside another universe. String theory relies on there being 10 dimensions to make sense. Strings are 1 dimensional particles(strings, really.) The theory breaks apart when you allow strings to exist in more than one dimension and the rest of the universe to have less than 10 dimensions.

These scientists were able to show mathematically that the 1 dimensional universe in which strings could reside, can exist inside a 10 dimensional universe. This is something that wasn't thought possible up until this point. You can look at it like watching a movie. You are seeing it in 2D on the screen, but you know it was filmed in 3d. Now, just imagine you are watching a 1d movie, but it was filmed in 10d.

I don't get what the extra Ds are. One is time, right?

TWDeac....my understanding of this finding is that they are exploring the black hole concept that all information about the black hole is present on the outside of the black hole, yet the black hole exists as something. When Susskind (IIRC) took that concept further in space-time, it turns out that in any "box" of space, all the information existed on the surface of the box so the universe..exists as a holograph projection on the surface of the expanding universe. That implied that a universe exists in some sort of duality.

So here in one model they look at the universe of a black hole with all the standard gravitational universe. In the other they look at the universe as one dimensional universes that just exist as "information". When the information is combined in a certain way in 10 dimensions, the two models match implying that gravity is just a consequence of 10 dimensions of information interacting. I believe this connects quantum and gravitational universes because one can get to quantum particles from string theory already, so now you can get explain both....something along those lines. It's always hard to wrap my head around these things.

Back