• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Astronomy Thread I: Dark Matter, Dark Energy and Dark Flow

Which do you think is more strange?

• Total voters
I don't get what the extra Ds are. One is time, right?
I believe the implication is that physical forces that we observe result from interactions between the other dimensions...ie gravity, the weak force, electromagnetism, etc. It's always hard to envision these, but TWDeac gave a good analogy. One way to envision the difference is to think about living at the surface of a body of water and all you could see was that interface. Any interaction with that interface such as a rock being tossed into it would not look like something diving into the body of water, it would look like a force being acting on your world of unknown origin.

Last edited:
TWDeac....my understanding of this finding is that they are exploring the black hole concept that all information about the black hole is present on the outside of the black hole, yet the black hole exists as something. When Susskind (IIRC) took that concept further in space-time, it turns out that in any "box" of space, all the information existed on the surface of the box so the universe..exists as a holograph projection on the surface of the expanding universe. That implied that a universe exists in some sort of duality.

So here in one model they look at the universe of a black hole with all the standard gravitational universe. In the other they look at the universe as one dimensional universes that just exist as "information". When the information is combined in a certain way in 10 dimensions, the two models match implying that gravity is just a consequence of 10 dimensions of information interacting. I believe this connects quantum and gravitational universes because one can get to quantum particles from string theory already, so now you can get explain both....something along those lines. It's always hard to wrap my head around these things.

Very well said. I think this matches what the article is saying much better than my post above. This topic is definitely one that is difficult to wrap your head around if you don't have the math for it.

Very well said. I think this matches what the article is saying much better than my post above. This topic is definitely one that is difficult to wrap your head around if you don't have the math for it.
This all results from the black hole information paradox that pitted Hawkings vs Susskind...and Hawkings lost....yes? Do you understand all the specific math?

This all results from the black hole information paradox that pitted Hawkings vs Susskind...and Hawkings lost....yes? Do you understand all the specific math?

At face value, I didn't think that this had to do with the information paradox. I thought it purely revolved around string theory and our attempts to use it to unify gravity. Which, if this paper is proven to be correct, we should be getting closer.

I could certainly be misunderstanding it, though. I do not have the math for it. Not even close.

Definitely plausible IMO. Our brains might access other dimensions that can be envisioned in the holographic (information) universe and that might he why people have ESP and sense danger and have hunches. The concept of soul could be part of that. Not sure about information storage. I don't think that means there is a programmer out there and that we have to be virtual. Just like light has a particle/wave duality, the universe has some sort of physical/information duality to it. We are both physical in this reality, but also just a pile of information in the hologram. That's sort of how I view it.

Makes you think though.

Definitely plausible IMO. Our brains might access other dimensions that can be envisioned in the holographic (information) universe and that might he why people have ESP and sense danger and have hunches. The concept of soul could be part of that. Not sure about information storage. I don't think that means there is a programmer out there and that we have to be virtual. Just like light has a particle/wave duality, the universe has some sort of physical/information duality to it. We are both physical in this reality, but also just a pile of information in the hologram. That's sort of how I view it.

Makes you think though.
Thanks. The author/blogger Michael Prescott writes a lot about topics related to the paranormal but made a brief comment about that recent article. Is he kind of getting at what you're suggesting?
First, this science article claims new support for the theory of a holographic universe. Note that the universe as a holographic projection is entirely consistent with an idea often explored on this blog – that the space-time cosmos is projected out of pure information. A holographic plate, after all, is nothing but a record of wave interference patterns, which constitute information. It is possible to convert any interference pattern into a series of ones and zeros, or (conversely) to convert a series of ones and zeroes into an interference pattern. In fact, it is possible to create a holographic plate without any physical template at all, simply by plugging in the right numbers to create the appropriate interference patterns. This is called computer-generated holography.
I don't think anyone believes that the space-time universe is produced as a hologram of some other physical universe that serves as a template, as would be the case in conventional holography. If the universe is, in some sense, a vast animated hologram, then its point of origin is presumably a set of raw information (and algorithms) that underlies physical phenomena. This is the essence of the virtual-reality universe hypothesis.
http://michaelprescott.typepad.com/michael_prescotts_blog/2013/12/random-noodlings.html

Yes, that's what my impression is about these these findings, except it's not some notion that the universe is absolutely a hologram, the universe can just be represented that way. He may be saying the same thing.

How do we know what our solar system looks like and where we are in it? We know what our planet looks like because we can launch satellites. But, we can't do that with the Milky Way. We need a mirror. What's our mirror?

What are your thoughts on this tw?
http://www.vox.com/2014/9/4/6105631/map-galaxy-supercluster-laniakea-milky-way

lanikea_map.0.0_standard_1280.0.png

It gives us a great sense of the scale of the universe. 500mm light years across and is basically just a pixel in the whole picture of the universe . Just wild to think about. There is so much out there.

It gives us a great sense of the scale of the universe. 500mm light years across and is basically just a pixel in the whole picture of the universe . Just wild to think about. There is so much out there.

A slow day at work so I decided to try some math...assume the universe is is 14 billion years old, that means that the possible knowable universe to us is 14 Billion light year radius and we are at the center of it (right?). Let's also assume that the current knowable universe is a sphere. The volume of a sphere with a 14 billion light year radius is 11.49 Nontillion cubic light years (11,490,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000). If we assume the the picture shown is a 3-D cube with 500MM light years on either side then the volume of that cube is 125 Septillion (125,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000) cubic light years. So that picture represents approximately just 1/100,000th of the knowable universe.

For the sake of scale, one cubic light year is 205 undecillion (had to look that word up) cubic miles...that's a 205 followed by 36 zeros

Last edited:
A slow day at work so I decided to try some math...assume the universe is is 14 billion years old, that means that the possible knowable universe to us is 14 Billion light year radius and we are at the center of it (right?). Let's also assume that the current knowable universe is a sphere. The volume of a sphere with a 14 billion light year radius is 11.49 Nontillion cubic light years (11,490,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000). If we assume the the picture shown is a 3-D cube with 500MM light years on either side then the volume of that cube is 125 Septillion (125,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000) cubic light years. So that picture represents approximately just 1/100,000th of the knowable universe.

For the sake of scale, one cubic light year is 205 undecillion (had to look that word up) cubic miles...that's a 205 followed by 36 zeros

The observable universe actually has a radius of about 46.5 billion light years because of spacetime expansion, so yeah. Just take all the numbers you listed and make them even bigger. It's so crazy to think about.

The observable universe actually has a radius of about 46.5 billion light years because of spacetime expansion, so yeah. Just take all the numbers you listed and make them even bigger. It's so crazy to think about.

It is really almost impossible to think about.

Back