• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Astronomy Thread I: Dark Matter, Dark Energy and Dark Flow

Which do you think is more strange?

• Total voters
latest

I love that our best explanation is that it is a swarm of comets that were dislodged by a passing stellar interloper into the system. More observation time should allow us to tell what this might actually be.

The spectral breaks are very random, though which makes me think it has to be some type of natural occurrence.

Real talk: intelligent life is hopeless and whatever society built the thing around that star is now in a Cormac McCarthy novel condition.

I've always liked the hypothesis that it is the pull of an alternate universe. There is undoubtedly a more likely explanation, though. Our view of this region of space is obstructed by the Milky Way so it has been difficult to study.

Silly astronomers, that's just Nemesis.

Tangentially related to this thread, there is a petition to rename Mars after David Bowie. Not only is that one of the dumbest things I've ever heard, but it is completely pointless. Not only would it be impossible to actually enforce, but Bowie isn't around to rerecord all those songs anymore, and the album cover isn't going to change to say "The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Bowie."

They could totally name the new planet in the above article after him, though. Especially if it is Nemesis, since it would be a "Black Star" and all.

Last edited:
Back