• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Football Recruiting

Would like to land Marks, but keep in mind that Buffalo played an exceptionally soft schedule (all MAC teams plus Marshall).

Marks officially has offers from UCF, Auburn and Purdue. Serious interest (whatever that means) from USC, UCLA, Northwestern, Indiana, Rutgers, USF, Cal, La Tech and Vtech.

Can we find us another rb in the portal? A 3 or 4 star that never got much time at bigger school could do well here. I wasn’t impressed with running game after Walker opted out. Cooley just had surgery. Marshall is unproven and Towns will be a freshman. That leaves with CBS and Ellison

Wake will be going younger not older at RB(and it won't be Patrick Smith)

Staff thinks Cooley and Ellison are ready for a bigger load. Health wise it sounds like Cooley will be back come end of Feb and Marshall is finally healthy, let it not be lost that a bunch of people who suffered long term injuries late in 2019 didn't really get to rehab well(Nasir and Terrance Davis come to mind)

If you think those 2 are ready + thinking Marshall will be up to speed with a full spring/fall + Towns who was one of their top RBs on the board no need to go older. Also a lot harder to be impressed with the running game without KW3 given they had been out of practice for over a month before UL and then played one of the best run defenses in the country.

Even if you take out the last two games CBS and Walker were neck and neck statistically with KW3 having the advantage on TDs(which is an extremely high variance stat) and I'm not alone in thinking Ellison looked good against UL and should be a fine 3rd back

Yeah, Ellison looks really good and is only going to get stronger this offseason.

Wake will be going younger not older at RB(and it won't be Patrick Smith)

Staff thinks Cooley and Ellison are ready for a bigger load. Health wise it sounds like Cooley will be back come end of Feb and Marshall is finally healthy, let it not be lost that a bunch of people who suffered long term injuries late in 2019 didn't really get to rehab well(Nasir and Terrance Davis come to mind)

If you think those 2 are ready + thinking Marshall will be up to speed with a full spring/fall + Towns who was one of their top RBs on the board no need to go older. Also a lot harder to be impressed with the running game without KW3 given they had been out of practice for over a month before UL and then played one of the best run defenses in the country.

Even if you take out the last two games CBS and Walker were neck and neck statistically with KW3 having the advantage on TDs(which is an extremely high variance stat) and I'm not alone in thinking Ellison looked good against UL and should be a fine 3rd back

(Timmy deletes all push notifications for Transfer Portal & Wake Forest)

The team will be active in the portal! Just not at RB. Stay tuned

Running back is one of the positions where young guys can contribute and even excel. Have to trust the staff if they think that there is enough talent behind CBS.

The team will be active in the portal! Just not at RB. Stay tuned

Thought I read a Q&A where Clawson specifically said RB was a position they were targeting in the transfer portal (along with DB).

ETA: Question to Clawson: "With the 2021 recruiting class, how many more players are you looking at?"

Clawson: "With Ken leaving, we'd have a spot open at RB if we can find one.... "

WS Journal, Dell, January 12th 2021.

Last edited:
Thought I read a Q&A where Clawson specifically said RB was a position they were targeting in the transfer portal (along with DB).

ETA: Question to Clawson: "With the 2021 recruiting class, how many more players are you looking at?"

Clawson: "With Ken leaving, we'd have a spot open at RB if we can find one.... "

WS Journal, Dell, January 12th 2021.

That's where the question isn't super-specific. The 2021 class(spring wise) is already a mix of transfers and freshman. Them targeting people could come from either old or young but it's correct there is a spot open but it wasn't specific as to what class that would come from.

To my understanding they're going younger there because of their feelings towards the rest of the room. Don't think thats the case with say replacing Shamar McCollum or filling out depth behind the starting corners

That's where the question isn't super-specific. The 2021 class(spring wise) is already a mix of transfers and freshman. Them targeting people could come from either old or young but it's correct there is a spot open but it wasn't specific as to what class that would come from.

To my understanding they're going younger there because of their feelings towards the rest of the room. Don't think thats the case with say replacing Shamar McCollum or filling out depth behind the starting corners

I know BJ Gibson the safety from Navy has said that Wake is in the race for his services, but I haven't seen anything on the Dline though. Any names you can offer as guys to track?

Is it guaranteed/announced that CBS is coming back?

ETA: after i typed the I saw Les' article about CBS coming back

Maybe Clawson should use a future spot on The Bachelor or Bachelorette as a recruiting tool. :)

Really confused about how the scholarship process plays out for next year. Clawson tells Les they only have 85 scholarships for next year but we seem way over that with all our Seniors and Graduate students coming back. Do they not count against the 85?

Really confused about how the scholarship process plays out for next year. Clawson tells Les they only have 85 scholarships for next year but we seem way over that with all our Seniors and Graduate students coming back. Do they not count against the 85?

my understanding is that they do not count next year, but the year after is a hard cap of 85 again.

my understanding is that they do not count next year, but the year after is a hard cap of 85 again.

Believe the cap could actually be 110 (85+25) for next year, due to allowing everyone to come back.
The following year when it reverts back to 85 may be a mess.

Believe the cap could actually be 110 (85+25) for next year, due to allowing everyone to come back.
The following year when it reverts back to 85 may be a mess.

Good information. Clawson can't use lack of depth next year as an excuse.

Every team is in the same situation, so relatively, depth should pretty much be the same.

Not necessarily. We have almost all our ‘seniors’ coming back. Everyone except Boogie and Crane. Other teams will have a number of upperclassmen leaving to go pro or decide not to come back for various reasons. I’m guessing we have one of the highest return rates in the country. Think this will definitely help our depth next year relative to others.

the cap for 2022 is.. well still not figured out. "Well what happens if Loic and Sean Maginn want to come back for 1 more year? What do we tell them?" - Clawson on signing day. The growing sense is no one has any idea of what's going on for 2022 and the NCAA is going to have to let people know soon as no one has any idea how many 2022 freshman they can bring in.

To the question of who to track, I'm gonna eat a whole lot of crow about "young runnng backs" when they figure out how to manufacture a grad transfer RB with 3 years of eligibility(yes multiple exist)

Back