• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

'17 Specials & '18 Midterms Thread

It was a 400 pound guy, with Cheetos from his momma's basement.

And the next tweet says she gave the ballots to Dowless.

So how would a special election work? Pittenger and McCready would have to be in it. How about Harris? Can he claim he had nothing to do with it even if he indirectly paid someone who has been doing this for years?

Pretty sure the primary was certified and Pittenger is out.

Makes sense. That’s messed up. Seems like Pittenger suspected something but didn’t speak up as to not anger the party. He’s still not speaking up. Republicans can be such cucks.

More info on Dowless and the Red Dome group that hired him.
https://www.wsoctv.com/news/local/m...c-district-9-race-has-criminal-past/882190369

Over the next couple of years, Dowless was paid thousands of dollars for get out the vote efforts and, at times, campaign manager for eastern North Carolina candidates Wesley Meredith, Al Leonard, Ken Waddell, and William Brisson.

Dowless’ past work includes huge differences between his candidate’s absentee by mail total and opponents.

Dowless wasn’t always connected to the Harris campaign.

In the 2016 primary, records show Dowless worked for Todd Johnson, who ran against Harris and Robert Pittenger.

Campaign finance reports show Dowless was paid $6,456 by Johnson’s campaign.

The disbursement description was for “get out the vote.”

In the June 2016 primary, Johnson finished last in the race, trailing the top vote-getter Pittenger by a little more than 1,100 votes. Despite the loss, Johnson dominated in Bladen County, carrying 68 percent of the vote.

A deeper look at the votes reveals Johnson received 98 percent of absentee by mail votes.

Johnson received 221 absentee-by-mail votes.

Pittenger and Harris combined for five.

The 221 absentee-by-mail votes amounted to 51 percent of his total votes received by that method and 21 percent of the total amount of absentee-by-mail votes when each candidate’s totals are added together.

Dowless does not appear on any campaign finance reports for Harris because he was working for Red Dome, a political consulting firm hired by the Harris campaign.

Records show the Harris campaign paid Red Dome more than $428,000. The disbursements are listed for admin and staff and grassroots.

Andy Yates, founder of Red Dome, did not respond to Channel 9’s calls Sunday evening.

According to the North Carolina Secretary of State’s Office, the Red Dome Group was dissolved in 2017. A certificate of administrative dissolution was issued by Secretary of State Elaine Marshall on Aug. 15, 2017.

The North Carolina Secretary of State’s Office has previously told Channel 9 when a business is dissolved by the secretary of state the business is not in good standing.

———

I really hope this leads to analyses of all N.C. elections and past elections in which Dowless has been involved.

The administrative dissolution is a meaningless detail; most likely they failed to file their annual reports and pay the $100 fee for a couple years. You can reinstate an admin dissolved company by paying the back fees. Anyway, I am mainly posting to just join in the general schadenfreude over NC Republicans chasing voter fraud for years and finally catching their own tail.

Yeah, the LLC dissolution thing is a throwaway line in the story put in there by a reporter who doesn't understand corporation filings.

Here's the New Yorker link the tweets are based on: https://www.newyorker.com/news/news...ion-fraud-in-disputed-north-carolina-district

But, when Dowless testified before the Board of Elections, he revealed details of his own vote-harvesting scam. As “This American Life” reported in December of 2016, Dowless told the board that he paid the members of his team for each ballot they collected, which is illegal. “One of the voters who signed an affidavit said that Get Out the Vote workers came by and had her family request absentee ballots,” “This American Life” ’s Zoe Chace reported. “But then they never received their absentee ballots in the mail like they were supposed to. Then when the family went to vote on Election Day, they were told they’d already voted.”The State Board of Elections filed its findings, about both the Democratic PAC’s write-in efforts and Dowless, with the U.S. District Attorney’s Office for the Eastern District of North Carolina, which has not publicly commented or acted on the case. The following year, according to the Charlotte Observer, when one of Harris’s parishioners, Pete Givens, asked for help running for a Charlotte city-council seat, Harris recommended Dowless. (Campaign records show that Givens paid Dowless about eight hundred dollars for less than two months of work, but ended up losing the race.) Dwight Sheppard, a local Democratic poll watcher who helped arrange the affidavits this year, had assumed that Dowless’s referral to the U.S. District Attorney’s Office would be the end of the Republican operative’s work. “I was shocked to see him active again in 2018,” he said. According to the Washington Post, the Harris campaign hired Dowless through a G.O.P. consulting firm called Red Dome. Sheppard testified that he overheard people saying that Dowless would get a forty-thousand-dollar bonus from the Harris campaign if Mark Harris won. An affidavit from another person stated that Dowless had told him, during primary voting for the House race, that he was “doing absentee for both” Harris and McVicker, who was up for reëlection; that Dowless had “over 80 people working for him”; and that Dowless said he doesn’t “take checks,” so “they need to pay me cash.” Campaign finance records show that McVicker paid Dowless fifty-eight hundred dollars in 2018 for services described as “get out to vote.”

It sounds like Harris has known about this Dowless guy and his strategy for a while (recommending Dowless to his parishioner, then using Dowless himself to steal the primary and then the House seat). Harris has some explaining to do.

Seems like a lot of people did. So why has he been able to keep doing this?

And we should point out the absurdity of a pastor from Charlotte representing Bladen County in the House of Representatives.

Seems like a lot of people did. So why has he been able to keep doing this?

And we should point out the absurdity of a pastor from Charlotte representing Bladen County in the House of Representatives.

Pretty sure I pointed out the absurdity of NC9's boundaries and their many iterations on multiple occasions. I'm a 5-minute walk from the 12th, which is nothing but the rest of Mecklenburg County, Yet my district stretches to Fayetteville, while Cabarrus County is in the 8th, which also stretches to Fayetteville.

I think it was this thread. It's not surprising. I think the FL legislature will eventually develop some plan that will lead to more reenfranchisement in smaller rural counties (where white men felons live) first.

Pretty sure I pointed out the absurdity of NC9's boundaries and their many iterations on multiple occasions. I'm a 5-minute walk from the 12th, which is nothing but the rest of Mecklenburg County, Yet my district stretches to Fayetteville, while Cabarrus County is in the 8th, which also stretches to Fayetteville.

biff, when you run for school board, will it be as representative of a district or at-large ?

Back