• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Best jam band?

?

• Total voters
actually, I think Bob has gotten a bit better. his low point seems to have come when he collapsed at a Further show and that was essentially the end of that band. I saw him with Dead and Company in 2015 and solo at the Christmas Jam last year and his voice was strong and he didn't flub lyrics.
Christmas jam this past December was outstanding. I still think that overall phils post Jerry bands have been better and that nothing tops the post Jerry world like plq, but he seems to be going through the motions last few times I've seen him.

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

Dark Star Orchestra is the best post-Dead Dead.

Dark Star Orchestra is the best post-Dead Dead.
Meh. I have seen them a 6 or 7 times and had a good time but the rote recreation has its limits. New interpretations are much more interesting to me. Give me jrad any day of the week over dso if picking a tribute band without any original members.

Last edited:
JRad KILLS IT. They are fucking awesome and I wish they would come back to Asheville.

actually, I think Bob has gotten a bit better. his low point seems to have come when he collapsed at a Further show and that was essentially the end of that band. I saw him with Dead and Company in 2015 and solo at the Christmas Jam last year and his voice was strong and he didn't flub lyrics.

Interesting, I saw him with Jackie Greene over Thanks Giving in San Fran. He forgot lyrics on 100% of his songs.

Yup. Panic, WSP or WSMFP.

Correct.

panny? dude...
I call them Widespread all the time and I was going to see them at clubs

Nope.

I know quite a few hardcore WSMFP fans and have never heard that.
Panic seems to be the preferred shorthand.

Sure.

Panny.

Jamming to the PANNY right now man !

Eat all the Bean$

Widespread. So many great memories from Wake.

No.

Would you people stop calling the Widespread and call them The Panny ?

'The Muscle' is also accepted.

Interesting, I saw him with Jackie Greene over Thanks Giving in San Fran. He forgot lyrics on 100% of his songs.

I've listened to a few of his recent solo Campfire Band shows and generally think he does well. Guess it just depends on which night you get him.

Also, he played with Phil last night at Terrapin Crossroads. I love the PLQ and saw him with the Jackie Greene/Larry Campbell lineup a few years ago, but since he's mostly stopped touring I don't think the musicians he plays with are that great. Occasionally he'll get up with Warren or Eric Krasno or the Chris Robinson Brotherhood, and that's great, but the regular Friends lineups kinda suck other than whatever he does at Lockn. This year he's teaming up with Bobby one night and then Moe another.

I would take any of Widespread, Phish or Cheese in their prime (early to mid 90s to mid 00s) over any of the current version of the three.

Anything Earth to America on for Widespread, Siket Disc on for Phish, and Untying the Knot on for Cheese is extremely spotty and in large places deviates from the core of what they once were.

I quite liked both "Earth to America" and "Untying the Knot". "Siket Disc" is a deep cut though, for real. I'm not sure I could name a single song on that album.

His recent reconnecting with his father put him in a better place, I've heard. There's a good NPR episode on him somewhere.

Don't Tell the Band

lol Let Andre decide who the real fans are and how to talk hip. :cool:

I have heard it go both ways. Probably been to more Widespread shows than TAB has, and have been around the Jam seen much more intensively. I think a real WSP fan would be chill enough to let it go either way lol.

I have heard it go both ways. Probably been to more Widespread shows than TAB has, and have been around the Jam seen much more intensively. I think a real WSP fan would be chill enough to let it go either way lol.

I would say that in the early 90s I heard much more "Widespread" and these days I hear much more "Panic."

I dunno what the jam seen is, and I am far from a wooked out spuntard, but I have seen the panny prolly around 75 times. Always either DFC or Schools Zone. I would guess they brought The Muscle only on about 60 of those tho. Have seen Phish Phucking Sucks prolly a bakers dozen.

I never got the love for Panic, until last year. I'm a guitar player in bands, and do some occasional studio work or fill ins. So I know guitar playing, and I have respected Herring for a long time. Great player. But I just never got into Panic and didn't understand the love for them. My little brother was about the biggest Panic fan there was. He had been to over 100 shows, and they were just about all he talked about. Obsessed. He had tried for a long time to get me to a Panic show and get me into them, and I just never made it. A couple of years ago, he got diagnosed with brain cancer. And he was going down fast. 3 kids under 10, and in fact was diagnosed 2 weeks after having his 3rd child. It was really fast that he was in a wheel chair and was slurring his speech etc. I knew how much he loved Panic, so I decided I would take him myself (he lived in Atlanta, me in Charlotte) to the Halloween Panic show in Asheville in 2015. So I drove to Atlanta, picked him up and took him. We got there, and since he was in a wheel chair the Panic fans basically made us go all the way to the front row. Coolest fans I have ever seen. So he got to be right in the very front middle with me holding the handles on his wheel chair the entire show. And I loved the show. It was especially cool because I'm a huge Andy Griffith fan and they were all dressed up like the show characters.

Anyway, it was fantastic and I don't think I honestly had ever seen him so happy. I think mainly because he knew I was enjoying them, and he felt relieved that he had finally accomplished his goal of having me appreciate his favorite band. He passed away less than a month later. Last year, I went to see Panic again in September in honor of Rob. I promised him I would keep going to shows after he died. So I went by myself. In a lot of ways, it was an awesome night too.

Anyway, great band and great fans. Herring is fantastic and Dave Schools is killer.

I am surprised My Morning Jacket hasn't been mentioned.

We left the My Morning Jacket show at lockn after 3 or 4 songs. I just didn't get it at all. they did cover Burt Bacharach though

I didn't know anyone classified MMJ as a jam band. :noidea:

Back