• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Penn State fraternity murder

I also don't understand forced drinking as a source of amusement, must just be a rite of passage thing - "the seniors made us do this when we were freshmen, so now we're doing it to you"

in 2017, it seems pretty simple and logical to designate two or three guys to watch out for injuries and alcohol poisoning

I also don't understand forced drinking as a source of amusement, must just be a rite of passage thing - "the seniors made us do this when we were freshmen, so now we're doing it to you"

It's an consistency and commitment thing.

"persons who go through a great deal of trouble or pain to attain something tend to value it more highly than persons who attain the same thing with a minimum of effort." (Aronson and Mills, 1959)

The problem isn't with this fraternity chapter specifically, but with Greek Life in general. This could have happened at any number of places. The story of how the other members of the fraternity ignored him, tried to cover things up, etc. is sickening. It also doesn't seem very different from how I think many fraternities at Wake would have reacted in this situation.

"persons who go through a great deal of trouble or pain to attain something tend to value it more highly than persons who attain the same thing with a minimum of effort." (Aronson and Mills, 1959)

Total bullshit!

All it does is create assholes who are willing to attack others. If you can't trust people without hazing, you can't trust them after doing it.

I can understand that if you're going through Hell Week to become a Navy Seal, but being forced to consume tons of alcohol isn't really much of a personal achievement

Ehhhh most of it yes.

Making pledges clean up and act as sober drivers every night is neither pointless nor stupid.

my friend's frat made the pledges walk around with their dick sizes writ large and visible

deacdiggler would have liked that frat

Total bullshit!

All it does is create assholes who are willing to attack others. If you can't trust people without hazing, you can't trust them after doing it.

I didn't excuse their behavior - I just tried to explain it.

I can understand that if you're going through Hell Week to become a Navy Seal, but being forced to consume tons of alcohol isn't really much of a personal achievement

Well it's a matter of perspective, isn't it? I think both are evidence of displaying one's commitment, actually.

Pretty sure it wouldn't be hard to find some fratboys who think consuming tons of alcohol is a personal achievement - a hardship they overcame to feel like a member of the fraternity.

Seems we need sanctuary campuses. The stuff is going to happen, be it organized and visible or not. The fear of getting in trouble is pretty much the number one thing driving the decisions that night and many other nights. It was the same way on Wake campus, if you got in trouble for under age drinking it was like a terrorist investigation to figure out which frat it was and who bought the alcohol and so on. All that does is move stuff deeper to the shadows and make everything less safe.

Says the guy who let a friend drink a half gallon jug of popov for senior fifth day

I had a friend in HS who got drunk and fell down some stairs too. He also died.

But it was like 20 years later and from undiagnosed diabetes.

How was this kids BAL .40 13 hours after drinking? Is that just an estimate based on what they said he drank?

It's about the time where 2and2 and ELC come in to defend the acts at hand.

Back