• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

John Collins and the draft

If the Celts packaged this year's #1 overall with next year's Nets' 1st rounder, do we think that gets them AD? Still don't think so, but it feels close-ish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If the Celts packaged this year's #1 overall with next year's Nets' 1st rounder, do we think that gets them AD? Still don't think so, but it feels close-ish.

Add in another first and I think you have something. Would be a good trade for the celts as well. They are guard deep. Need somebody game changing on the back line. Horford and AD would be incredible. Hornets would get enough to make it worth their while imo.

There are a lot of good players in this draft. There should be a few All Stars. Unless there's a Lebron or a Tim or an AD, you never trade an established superstar for a possibility of one or two,

If you look back at the history of trades of NBA superstars in their prime, the team trading them always loses.

Man. I'd be all for the Spurs trading LMA back to Portland for that #15 pick to get Collins. Could be like pulling off the Kawhi trade again.

Trade Pau and Patty to move up, draft Collins, sign Chris Paul in FA. One can dream.

pau is an anchor not an #asset. patty is a FA. trading LMA for the #15 pick would be a huge win for the Spurs.

pelicans aren't going to trade AD for a mystery box.

JC is going to be good. best point in that Vice article is that it will be easier for JC to expand his offensive game to play 4 in the NBA than to fix his defensive limitations to play 5 in the NBA. that will be the key to him being good.

pau is an anchor not an #asset. patty is a FA. trading LMA for the #15 pick would be a huge win for the Spurs.

JC is going to be good. best point in that Vice article is that it will be easier for JC to expand his offensive game to play 4 in the NBA than to fix his defensive limitations to play 5 in the NBA. that will be the key to him being good.

Because his FT stroke is good and he hits a high percentage, it is not unreasonable to think he might add range out to NBA three point line over the next year. Chronologically he is still a teenager, even though he played two years of college ball.

Add in another first and I think you have something. Would be a good trade for the celts as well. They are guard deep. Need somebody game changing on the back line. Horford and AD would be incredible. Hornets would get enough to make it worth their while imo.

Do you mean the Pelicans? Or am I missing something here?

As much I have never really liked LMA, trading him for a #15 is what bad franchises do not the Spurs. You don't him for a maybe and get CP3 to come play for you at age 32.

I like JC but he has never shown he can play against a physical defender. He has got to get stronger.

I like JC but he has never shown he can play against a physical defender. He has got to get stronger.

Strength tends to increase as you get older going from teens to twenties. That is why college FB coaches like older linemen. They are generally bigger and stronger as 22 - 23 year olds than they were as 18-19 year olds. Collins is young for his college class. He should be able to add strength and good weight for 3-5 years under a good strength and conditioning program. He was a lot stronger as a soph then he was as a freshman at Wake.

My dude Don McLean, who works these guys out for CAA, says that all of the mid-1st post talent is afraid to workout with Collins.

Makes a great pitch over the phone to GM's and whatnot, too, I'd think. "My boy so bad, nobody come to workout with him for fear of being shamed."

This was very interesting:

" but if he ever adds the three-ball—he knocked down 16 of 25 of them during NBA combine drills"

Latest ESPN mock 6.0 from today by Chad Ford

16. Chicago Bulls

John Collins
Wake Forest
Sophomore
Forward

Collins, who is the same age as many freshmen, has a lot going for him as a long-term Taj Gibson replacement.

He shot the ball really well in recent workouts and that's improving his stock. If he can be a stretch-4 in the league, he's very good value here.

I'm on that JC-Taj comparison wagon. Taj with a little less banging/defense, but a 3-point shot.

Soooo .... Kris Humphries? And I love how Collins has magically developed a 3pt shot after the college season ended and in empty gyms. It is similar to Cody Zeller's 3pt shot that Arlington is still ejaculating over.

Back