• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Supreme Court to rule on baker refusing to make cake for gay couple

RJKarl

Banhammer'd
Reaction score
This is the inevitable outcome of the insane Hobby Lobby ruling.

There's absolutely no difference between denying to serve a gay couple and not serving a black person or interracial couple. During my lifetime. The Bible was used to justify Jim Crow. It was used to justify "white" and "colored" water fountains and bathrooms.

This should be an easy 9-0 vote against the baker. But it's possible this bigot could win. Yes, you are a bigot if you refuse to serve someone because of who they are.

I'm not overly familiar with this case. Did the baker cite a religious exemption or anything, or just explicitly choose not to bake the cake and stated it was due to their homosexuality relationship?

I'm not overly familiar with this case. Did the baker cite a religious exemption or anything, or just explicitly choose not to bake the cake and stated it was due to their homosexuality relationship?

He refused to make their goods because he said his religion forbade it.

Last edited:

I believe that the baker would regularly serve the couple for regular transactions but would not make their wedding cake because of the religious nature of marriage.

"The appeal involves Charlie Craig and David Mullins, who tried to order a cake for their upcoming reception from Masterpiece Cakeshop in Lakewood Colorado. The owner, Jack Phillips, told them he would be happy to sell them other baked goods, but would not prepare a wedding cake because doing so would conflict with his beliefs against same-sex marriage.

After hearing about Phillips's refusal, another bakery provided Craig and Mullins with a rainbow-adorned cake brief of charge, but the couple decided to file a complaint with Colorado's Civil Rights Commission. The commission decided to bring a discrimination case against the bakery, and the state's top court upheld that decision.

In taking the case, the Supreme Court will also have to weigh the First Amendment claims of Phillips, who argues that he is not a baker but an artist, who should have have to express himself against his will. The couple will counter this by arguing that it did not demand Phillips inscribe any specific message, but rather to supply a cake."

http://fortune.com/2017/06/26/supreme-court-bakery/

Last edited:
I'm fine if the bakers have a religious objection. However, they should have to designate so publicly i.e. a cross in the window, a rainbow with a slash through it, etc. Something to publicly designate their business practices.

I'm fine if the bakers have a religious objection. However, they should have to designate so publicly i.e. a cross in the window, a rainbow with a slash through it, etc. Something to publicly designate their business practices.

So, a business just a legitimately say they won't serve an interracial couple because their "faith" says that's against God by putting a placard in the window showing a black woman and white man with a slash through it?

So, a business just a legitimately say they won't serve an interracial couple because their "faith" says that's against God by putting a placard in the window showing a black woman and white man with a slash through it?

Sure. Let the market sort itself out. Would you shop there? I wouldn't.

It's wrong. I 100% agree that it's terrible. But if you believe that enough, so be it.

Sure. Let the market sort itself out. Would you shop there? I wouldn't.

It's wrong. I 100% agree that it's terrible. But if you believe that enough, so be it.

That position has be declared unconstitutional. It's black letter letter law about public accommodation.

My understanding of the case is that they don't dislike each other. They were regular customer.

Thanks. It seems pretty obvious that this law suit was filed to set a precedent and not because a suitable alternative could not be found. We'll see what the court says: anti-discrimination vs religious liberty, interesting issue.

Thanks. It seems pretty obvious that this law suit was filed to set a precedent and not because a suitable alternative could not be found. We'll see what the court says: anti-discrimination vs religious liberty, interesting issue.

It's not an "interesting issue" at all. It's about public accommodation. It's very simple. You can't deny a black person or a Christian service because of who they are.

It's not an "interesting issue" at all. It's about public accommodation. It's very simple. You can't deny a black person or a Christian service because of who they are.

It's not simple. It's a clash between two constitutional guarantees.

It's not simple. It's a clash between two constitutional guarantees.

It's EXACTLY the same excuse used by those to keep segregation and Jim Crow in place. There is ZERO difference.

It's EXACTLY the same excuse used by those to keep segregation and Jim Crow in place. There is ZERO difference.

In your eyes. This is why you're intolerable. You are right. Everyone else is wrong and there is no in between.

Race is a visible difference. There are still plenty of people who believe that sexual orientation is a choice. That is a difference; whether you choose to recognize it or not.

Back