• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Solar Eclipse Thread

Apparently 100% vs any less percentage is the difference between night and day. Probably worth the drive if you'll be able to see it.

Weather forecast for SC is pretty iffy though.

Based on the simulator from the Time link above, that does not seem to be the case. I'm going to be very content to walk out the door and see 97% coverage.

Interesting, I saw a couple of confirming articles as well. I may well end up driving to some boonie town like Jamestown after all.

Yea sadly I've been kind of obsessed reading about this and decided it's goes from eh...kinda interesting to life changing between 99 and 100%

Quite excited for it visiting my mom in Columbia. The Solar System is giving me a bday present to counter all the years growing up that I started school on my bday.

Was at a wedding outside of SF this weekend and there are people in my wife's family who live in Bend, OR and Denver and were talking about their plans. I think they might be underestimating the chaos. Without looking for it I'd imagine today will be the most people that have ever simultaneously been in Wyoming at once. Would have been awesome to do a trip for it, but the moon should have scheduled this for a weekend.

Any ideas for how to try and take a picture on my phone? I read a few articles that were terribly written clickbait but it seems like in lieu of getting extra equipment I'll just lock the focus and drop the exposure real low.

Not planning to get glasses at this stage as there's a high chance of getting counterfeits now.

was curious about the same. as long as we don't focus in and look while we take the picture, it's not going to mess up our camera or anything, right? I'm such an eclipse newb.

Pre-school and camp where dead today. Seems like lots of families either staying home, or maybe they headed for South Carolina.

Just got an email, text, and voice mail from the school district asking parents to remind kids never to look directly at the sun.

I mean, how long can a person really look directly at the sun anyway? I can look at the sun for maaaaaybe 2 seconds before I'm like "oh fuck."

I mean, how long can a person really look directly at the sun anyway? I can look at the sun for maaaaaybe 2 seconds before I'm like "oh fuck."

It's like anything else, practice makes perfect.

Ordered the glasses on Amazon three weeks ago, but they didn't get delivered in time. :(

Not a total eclipse here in Raleighwood anyway though.

was curious about the same. as long as we don't focus in and look while we take the picture, it's not going to mess up our camera or anything, right? I'm such an eclipse newb.

My best friend is an eye doctor and he says to use Selfie mode over the shoulder if you didn't get glasses, but unsure how well it would work.

That's hilarious.

They're a good twitter follow particularly in Raleigh.

So would this whole pizza box/makeshift viewing thing basically just be looking at a small circle being slowly shaded? That seems lame as shit

Back