• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Solar Eclipse Thread

Got to see totality, it was VERY dark. Back to being unemployed for me

Clouds and light rain in ashe county. we saw it a little bit right at the beginning.
Glad I didn't take the day off

Very cool experience. Got dark with a sunset-like glow at along the entire horizon. Crickets started going crazy. Temperature dropped 13 degrees here.

Didn't get dark at all at 81%. Viewing the eclipse was cool though.

Hilarious garbage in Baltimore. Walked out and sat in a park, stared at clouds. Then lightning, thunder, followed by a heavy pop-up rain storm for a few minutes. Everyone scattering for cover. Then walked to the top of a parking deck during the peak, when the clouds were the thickest. Baltimore can't have nice things.

God's like... fuck east Baltimore in particular right now.
Z737w3p.png

Sorry that so many of you had unsatisfying Eclipse 2017 experiences. It was awesome here in Charlotte.

fuck. blind now

somebody should have warned me about possible repercussions.

I wonder how many hippies made hippie babies at the moment of totality. You know granola folks within the path were banging from coast to coast trying to conceive on eclipse day and reach totality at the moment of totality.

Anybody else getting stoked for Eclipse 2024 in Buffalo ?

Looks like it's just going to miss Nova Scotia, so the Carly Simon lyric from "You're So Vain," will not apply.

If you look under a tree during the partial eclipse, you might see a pattern of crescents that is basically the spaces between the leaves acting as a pinhole camera.

We saw that here! Hung out on the dock to view - 97% or whatever was neat, but I wish we'd gone to totality.

Charlotte eclipse sort of meh - got a little cooler/darker but unless you were looking through glasses, it wasn't that sweet. Probably the coolest thing was the crickets/cicadas getting confused and chirping for like 3 min.

Pretty cool looking at 75% coverage here out of my office window. Watched the totality online, I can see why its such a huge difference. It went from tiny sliver to totally dark to GLOWING HAZE AROUND THE MOON.

But now its just cloudy.

I was in 100% totality in Charleston and I think the final minute leading into totality made all the difference. Even at 90% totality it was still fairly bright out, but that final 5-10% was when the magic happened.

It looked like somebody was dimming the lights for about 45 seconds and then quickly transcended into basically night during the final 15 seconds. It was pretty captivating, especially since there was lightning in the distance as well. Stayed dark for about 75-90 seconds (guesstimation) before coming out and slowly brightening.

Not a huge space/science guy but it was pretty breathtaking to witness live.

Back