• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Solar Eclipse Thread

2&2 Slider To Leyritz

Reaction score
So we're supposed to be at 98% here in the QC, is it worth it to load up the kids (have to pull them out of school which started last week) to drive an hour or so to the 100% zone? I suspect 85 and 77 will be parking lots, so was thinking of trying to sneak down 321 to get near Chester. Anyone taking the day off to go see it?

And if I was smart I would have ordered a few thousand of the $1 glasses on Amazon a few weeks ago so I could sell them on the corner for $10 this weekend. It is like trying to find Tickle Me Elmo to get the damn things in time.

The news keeps saying this is the first one in like 100 years, but I swear I remember one when I was a kid, having to get the glasses for that.

Our family took off work/school for the eclipse. It's a once in a generation event for most Americans.

We did our driving this morning because as you referenced, I'm sure the interstates are going to be slammed tomorrow.

I've only experienced one other Solar Eclipse, so it felt right to take work off and celebrate #Science

SE1992Dec24P.gif

(was living in Japan at the time)

Any ideas for how to try and take a picture on my phone? I read a few articles that were terribly written clickbait but it seems like in lieu of getting extra equipment I'll just lock the focus and drop the exposure real low.

Not planning to get glasses at this stage as there's a high chance of getting counterfeits now.

Had no idea that was a Deac. Nice work.

Snagged an airbnb in Clemson for tonight. I'm assuming traffic will be as bad or worse than a typical gameday.

Snagged an airbnb in Clemson for tonight. I'm assuming traffic will be as bad or worse than a typical gameday.

Much worse. It seems everyone I know who is free is driving to somewhere in SC tomorrow. Columbia is going to be the worst.

This is a great link to see what it will look like where you are. let the blue screen load and then click it and enter your zip code.
http://time.com/4882923/total-solar-eclipse-map-places-view/
If I recall correctly I remember in shop class in middle school that we spray painted a piece of glass black and looked through it. It probably damaged our eyesight. Never trust a shop teacher with only 3 fingers.

It'll be an interesting flight from DC to LA tomorrow morning...

Just got an email, text, and voice mail from the school district asking parents to remind kids never to look directly at the sun.

I just tried to look at the sun through these glasses and I could barely see anything at all

Over the shoulder selfie mode is safe, so they say.

So we're supposed to be at 98% here in the QC, is it worth it to load up the kids (have to pull them out of school which started last week) to drive an hour or so to the 100% zone? I suspect 85 and 77 will be parking lots, so was thinking of trying to sneak down 321 to get near Chester. Anyone taking the day off to go see it?

And if I was smart I would have ordered a few thousand of the $1 glasses on Amazon a few weeks ago so I could sell them on the corner for $10 this weekend. It is like trying to find Tickle Me Elmo to get the damn things in time.

The news keeps saying this is the first one in like 100 years, but I swear I remember one when I was a kid, having to get the glasses for that.

Apparently 100% vs any less percentage is the difference between night and day. Probably worth the drive if you'll be able to see it.

Weather forecast for SC is pretty iffy though.

Back