• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pop's brilliance about race.

Plenty of people talk about that; perhaps you don't, but people do, particularly scholars that address the same questions that you love dancing around on half of the threads on the Tunnels. You just need to leave your bubble.

How do you think historical patterns of immigration and access to mortgage capital factored into that equation? Hint: they factor into the equation quite a bit.

Can you compare the discriminatory policies that Asians and African-Americans faced over the same period of time between 1945-present?

Last I checked, even Japanese-Americans have since received reparations for the discrimination that they faced at the hands of the United States government. (That was your boy, Reagan, btw.)

1945: America rounded up Japanese-Americans and imprisoned them in concentration camps because of the color of their skin.
In present day America, Universities (perhaps even yours, but i don't know that for sure) discriminate against Japanese-Americans because of the color of their skin.

Because government can't fix all of your problems. Breaking: there is no government solution to some issues.

So best I can't tell, though you never actually say this, is that your "solution" is for individuals to follow this generally accepted (though not universal) path to success on their own. The only "policy" being maybe educating people on this path though I think you believe it is generally known or self evident.

If that's the case, what's your theory on why some individuals don't follow this advice and why do you think there is a racial disparity in those that do or do not follow this advice. We know you don't think systemic racism is the answer. What then?

1945: America rounded up Japanese-Americans and imprisoned them in concentration camps because of the color of their skin.
In present day America, Universities (perhaps even yours, but i don't know that for sure) discriminate against Japanese-Americans because of the color of their skin.

Are you comparing Japanese internment to slavery, Jim Crow, and legalized segregation and discrimination that occurred in basically every sector in the United States for nearly a century (not to mention the centuries of slavery that preceded the century of legalized segregation and discrimination)?

I'm just checking.

Since you love to bring up Asian-Americans, I'm asking whether you think that historical patterns of migration and access to mortgage capital may complicate the comparison that you love to make so often.

Are you comparing Japanese internment to slavery, Jim Crow, and legalized segregation and discrimination that occurred in basically every sector in the United States for nearly a century (not to mention the centuries of slavery that preceded the century of legalized segregation and discrimination)?

I'm just checking.

Since you love to bring up Asian-Americans, I'm asking whether you think that historical patterns of migration and access to mortgage capital may complicate the comparison that you love to make so often.

Did those factors contribute to present day disparities? Of course. We've never disagreed on that.

Do they alter the path forward? Show me how.

Did those factors contribute to present day disparities? Of course. We've never disagreed on that.

Do they alter the path forward? Show me how.

Yes, they have altered the path forward. I have alluded to a few ways that they have done so above. I would love to hear your response to the specifics in that post. Where people live is a product of those factors and alters their paths forward at both individual and aggregate levels.

Yes, they have altered the path forward. I have alluded to a few ways that they have done so above. I would love to hear your response to the specifics in that post. Where people live is a product of those factors and alters their paths forward at both individual and aggregate levels.

Note the past tense.

We agree (generally) that these factors bring us to the present (but disagree probably on the percentage of causation). My question is what about lending practices in the 1960's alters the right decision for what to do tomorrow if you were one of these families. I don't understand how those practices alter the path forward. The path, regardless of where you start, begins with avoiding self-disqualification.

Note the past tense.

We agree (generally) that these factors bring us to the present (but disagree probably on the percentage of causation). My question is what about lending practices in the 1960's alters the right decision for what to do tomorrow if you were one of these families. I don't understand how those practices alter the path forward. The path, regardless of where you start, begins with avoiding self-disqualification.

Cool. We get what's not the problem in your eyes. What is the problem?

Why do some individuals not follow your simple path to success? Why is there a racial disparity in those that do follow that path?

Cool. We get what's not the problem in your eyes. What is the problem?

Why do some individuals not follow your simple path to success? Why is there a racial disparity in those that do follow that path?

People learn from their role models. The epidemic breakdown of the family is unsurvivable.

IIRC, his "policy" suggestions in past shitposts boiled down to remove all the safety nets and once that happens and their backs are against the wall, the underprivileged will be forced to adopt this model. Or just die I suppose.

Oh and community gardens or something.

Basically an extension of the ACA proposals put forth by his party, with which he is in lockstep agreement and which is unquestionably led by Donald Trump.

Ok. So why the racial disparity?

1. Undisputed prejudices (historical and present) present inequitable result.
2. Well-intended policies create a public resource that chases out private responsibility (a widely-observable phenomenon) which impacts community subject to #1 at disproportionate rate, creating secondary explosion of family unit, compounding damage from #1.

IIRC, his "policy" suggestions in past shitposts boiled down to remove all the safety nets and once that happens and their backs are against the wall, the underprivileged will be forced to adopt this model. Or just die I suppose.

Oh and community gardens or something.

Basically an extension of the ACA proposals put forth by his party, with which he is in lockstep agreement and which is unquestionably led by Donald Trump.
It's always this. No matter what the political topic, or how its presented, jhmd spins it back to his belief that welfare dependency has destroyed black peoples motivation to make good life decisions and maintain nuclear families, moreso than any other American race or culture. Apparently black people dont need to concern themselves with current systemic racism, and it's 300 year long foundation of white supremacy, until they stop having children out of wedlock.

It's always this. No matter what the political topic, or how its presented, jhmd spins it back to his belief that welfare dependency has destroyed black peoples motivation to make good life decisions and maintain nuclear families, moreso than any other American race or culture. Apparently black people dont need to concern themselves with current systemic racism, and it's 300 year long foundation of white supremacy, until they stop having children out of wedlock.

The number of people who have not finished their high school education that MDMH has hired for a full-time job with benefits to support a family is _________________.

Don't blame me for the way the world works.

The number of people who have not finished their high school education that MDMH has hired for a full-time job with benefits to support a family is _________________.

Don't blame me for the way the world works.

What the fuck does this have to do with anything?

You guys have grown so accustomed to this laziness it's sad. What a waste of....something. I was going to say talent, but that feels less right by the day.

I want people to raise their own children, finish their education and work. I want that because those things actually produce results. You guys want to be seen caring, but when I outline what reasonable expectations are required in order to advance in our society, you guys start to run a little low on the belief quotient, and suddenly here comes the excuse parade. Pop is right: it is time for white people to feel uncomfortable, he just has the wrong white people in mind.

You are completely full of shit, and you are not cute anymore.

The men kneeling on the field have done everything you have ever preached - they worked their assess off and channeled their god-given talent. They stayed in school and learned a trade. They committed fully to hard work and sacrifice for their financial independence, many of them starting from nothing. You think they are just being swept up in some liberal wind about racism being systemic? You think they are falling for the lazy argument and just blaming racism for the ills of the communities many of them worked their way out of?

If you were right, these guys - of all people - would be the ones saying it 10 times louder than you. If it were true. They overcame, but they can still recognize and fully understand that systemic racism is real and happening in their communities every day, and that it is unjust. That is what they are protesting. They aren't protesting your point that hard work and focus on family isn't right. You know this

The men kneeling on the field have done everything you have ever preached - they worked their assess off and channeled their god-given talent. They stayed in school and learned a trade. They committed fully to hard work and sacrifice for their financial independence, many of them starting from nothing. You think they are just being swept up in some liberal wind about racism being systemic? You think they are falling for the lazy argument and just blaming racism for the ills of the communities many of them worked their way out of?

If you were right, these guys - of all people - would be the ones saying it 10 times louder than you. If it were true. They overcame, but they can still recognize and fully understand that systemic racism is real and happening in their communities every day, and that it is unjust. That is what they are protesting. They aren't protesting your point that hard work and focus on family isn't right. You know this

This is a very good post.

"the way the world works". Stop fucking voting for authoritarian racist shitheads. America isnt a goddamned monarchy. Your bootstraps, race blind, "just dont break the law" free markets are fair, conservative idealogy is fucking classist, racist, and corrupt. Stop subjecting people to it.

Which is it?

Back