• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Too many big plays given up on defense

BudatWake

Steve Lepore
Reaction score
This is becoming an every game occurrence. 3rd and 20 FSU on their own 30 and we give up a 40 yd pass! Then we are stuffing them and give up a 40 yd TD pass. We seem to do this every game. Need to revamp our "prevent defense" Cause it an't preventing anything

You are really laying blame on the defense? GTFOOH
it’s a loss, so I guess we get a daf thread from bud. It’s been so long since the end of basketball season that I forgot about these.

That was, uh, not my takeaway from this but you do you bud.

17 tackles for loss! 17!!! And you blame the defense! Against pre-season #2 in the nation? Really?

Ummm... the D kept us in the game and tied with 90 seconds to play.

It was conservative O and special teams gaffes that proved costly.

Yeah defense was awesome today. Long run was about the only play that was truly bad on the D (lack of gal discipline). The 3rd and 21 pass should’ve been picked and was a good throw/catch by fsu and the long TD throw to lose the game was 1 on 1 someone makes a play.

I actually thought our offense was okay. FSU has a good defense and we did more than we did at any point the last few years. Running is still abysmal but Dortch is a weapon and we’re utilizing him well.

Blaming the D is pretty crazy. They dominated this game. Special teams issues and a couple costly TO's was the difference. Any real blame on the offense is misguided too. This was the preseason #2 team and their defense is still pretty great and we had 370 or so yards of offense. Alabama had 270 against this D. We were the better team, but the kick return that led to aTD, an INT that led to an FG, and a fumble inside their 20...that's the diff, not the D or even conservative offensive issues.

Wake needs an overhaul at OC. Oh shit! We've been down this path how many times before?

Funny how coach claims we can't run on the edge and the Colburn TD was exactly that. Great blocks on that play. More of same please.....

Not saying the defense was bad, just that in each game we seem to give up a couple or three big plays. Need to fix that

Blaming the D is pretty crazy. They dominated this game. Special teams issues and a couple costly TO's was the difference. Any real blame on the offense is misguided too. This was the preseason #2 team and their defense is still pretty great and we had 370 or so yards of offense. Alabama had 270 against this D. We were the better team, but the kick return that led to aTD, an INT that led to an FG, and a fumble inside their 20...that's the diff, not the D or even conservative offensive issues.
Defense was awesome but not dominating. Dominating is shutting teams out like Clemson and Alabama do to teams. Giving up 200 yards rushing is not dominating.

Given the kids ability defense was wonderful and kept us on the game.

FSU had a bunch of those kind of plays too but in the end it's a tie game. We have the balloon the ten and are averaging 1 yard per running play and 6 yards per pass so we run it on first and second down which causes a third and long that you probably pick up 10% of the time.

Play calling at the end of the game cost us the game. Both teams had a bunch of reasons they can cite for why they should have had the game in hand but in the end that play calling was the difference.

I still point to the special teams gaffes- the missed XP and after we dodged the bullet on the opening KO return, we still got burned again later.

If Weaver can't kick it through the end zone, for the life of me just have him kick it out of bounds and put them on the 35 yard line.

And of course, the turnovers proved costly.

obviously our defense played very well for 3 quarters and well enough to win overall

our uptempo offense is all good until we go 3 and out and put the defense back out there

App and FSU both won the TOP battle by a pretty wide margin, and I'll be shocked if Clemson, GT, and ND don't as well

Tired defenses give up big plays

obviously our defense played very well for 3 quarters and well enough to win overall

our uptempo offense is all good until we go 3 and out and put the defense back out there

App and FSU both won the TOP battle by a pretty wide margin, and I'll be shocked if Clemson, GT, and ND don't as well

Tired defenses give up big plays

I think a few more running plays to the perimeter and a little misdirection would help with the three and outs. I'd like to see us take advantage of Byrd's speed and get the WR's a little more involved in the run game.

I can't believe there is outrage over this. I was very impressed with our defense overall, and at times we were dominant looking. But we have up a 70? yarder from the one-foot line, a critical conversion on 3rd and 21 (we had to stop there if we wanted to win), and obviously the huge TD pass. I mean, yeah, the defense played great most of the game, but if all that effort is wiped out on two or three big plays then who cares?

I can't believe there is outrage over this. I was very impressed with our defense overall, and at times we were dominant looking. But we have up a 70? yarder from the one-foot line, a critical conversion on 3rd and 21 (we had to stop there if we wanted to win), and obviously the huge TD pass. I mean, yeah, the defense played great most of the game, but if all that effort is wiped out on two or three big plays then who cares?

Correct.

But prepare for the inevitable backlash as any criticism directed towards the defensive side of the football will immediately be shouted down.

Dating back to the Scout.com days, any criticism of the defensive side is viewed by many as a tacit endorsement the offense is great or has no issues.

We have a defense that we can not only be proud of, we can brag about it. I remember a few years back at ND, Janvion whiffed on an open field tackle that went for a 90+ TD run (can't remember who whiffed two years ago against F$U) But the long runs Saturday were run down by the deep patrol. We have the best Tackles since JR and Boo. Our pipeline for the back 7 is stuffed with talent. Keep them off the field with sustained drives and they'll be even better.

Back