• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WF @ GT October 21 7 pm on ESPN2 or 7:30 on ESPNU

People always say that, but stopping the big plays is far more important. Tech can put together 20 play drives from time to time, but it's brutally hard to do consistently even for an option based offense.

Where Tech kills people when we are rolling is with the big plays, both in the running and passing games. It's a really explosive offense that is always trying to hit a home run. Staying disciplined and not allowing those big plays is key.

VT has consistently been a bastard game in large part because Foster doesn't do anything fancy, doesn't gamble and has his defense keep everything we do in front of them (and tackles supremely well). It's boring and conservative, but we have to earn everything against them and never get the easy cheap points that we thrive on against other teams.

That Tennessee defense is also something special.

People always say that, but stopping the big plays is far more important. Tech can put together 20 play drives from time to time, but it's brutally hard to do consistently even for an option based offense.

Where Tech kills people when we are rolling is with the big plays, both in the running and passing games. It's a really explosive offense that is always trying to hit a home run. Staying disciplined and not allowing those big plays is key.

VT has consistently been a bastard game in large part because Foster doesn't do anything fancy, doesn't gamble and has his defense keep everything we do in front of them (and tackles supremely well). It's boring and conservative, but we have to earn everything against them and never get the easy cheap points that we thrive on against other teams.

Not saying that you are wrong, but Georgia Tech ranks 3rd nationally in "success rate" and 114th in Explosive Plays. They are much better at staying on schedule than generating big plays. Now part of the "lack of" explosiveness is due to opportunity (I would guess that they don't take many downfield shots relative to other teams), so that makes it important for teams to stop it when Tech does go for the big play.

Not saying that you are wrong, but Georgia Tech ranks 3rd nationally in "success rate" and 114th in Explosive Plays. They are much better at staying on schedule than generating big plays. Now part of the "lack of" explosiveness is due to opportunity (I would guess that they don't take many downfield shots relative to other teams), so that makes it important for teams to stop it when Tech does go for the big play.
That's also a function of number of plays run (GT burns clock like crazy so all raw stats are depressed) and the UNC game where we were so vanilla it was hilarious (UNC's defense was hopelessly overmatched).

And yes - GT has been a bit different this year with Marshall at QB - he's carrying the ball more often than any other GT QB and our main B-Back is also a bruiser.

But having watched years of this offense, I'm not scared of teams that stunt and blitz and try to "get us off schedule". They get gashed often enough it's a losing proposition. The teams that make us go 3 yards constantly and never give you the gaps to exploit are just brutal though. You'll make a mistake on offense (penalty, blown assignment, fumble, etc) more often than you'll strong together 17 plays.

That's also a function of number of plays run (GT burns clock like crazy so all raw stats are depressed) and the UNC game where we were so vanilla it was hilarious (UNC's defense was hopelessly overmatched).

And yes - GT has been a bit different this year with Marshall at QB - he's carrying the ball more often than any other GT QB and our main B-Back is also a bruiser.

But having watched years of this offense, I'm not scared of teams that stunt and blitz and try to "get us off schedule". They get gashed often enough it's a losing proposition. The teams that make us go 3 yards constantly and never give you the gaps to exploit are just brutal though. You'll make a mistake on offense (penalty, blown assignment, fumble, etc) more often than you'll strong together 17 plays.

I agree with this for the most part. What has hurt wake in the past has not been the grinding it out, but when we slant away from the gap and the fullback takes it for 60 yards.

Or when the backside DE crashes too hard consistently and suddenly the A-Back on the counter has half the field open in front of him, etc.

Playing GT on defense is so much about being disciplined and being physical. You got to be ready for a long day of heavy contact at every level of the defense.

Unfortunately for GT, the Wake game is sandwiched between what will be 2 physical wars for us and you get the bye week. It's going to be a big time gut check for GT coming off Miami and before the rivalry game with Clemson.

Or when the backside DE crashes too hard consistently and suddenly the A-Back on the counter has half the field open in front of him, etc.

Playing GT on defense is so much about being disciplined and being physical. You got to be ready for a long day of heavy contact at every level of the defense.

Unfortunately for GT, the Wake game is sandwiched between what will be 2 physical wars for us and you get the bye week. It's going to be a big time gut check for GT coming off Miami and before the rivalry game with Clemson.

Agree with vad's take and why I have this in the L column. We are alot of good things on D but disciplined over the course of a drive or game is just not one of them.

I think Dawson and Jaboree will do well against the big B back, but am pretty concerned about their ability to make a quick read and get out in space to tackle the A backs. Bates is probably going to have to make a ton of tackles. I feel like Bassey is solid against the run for a CB as well.

Never too early to breakdown WF's next game. To me, for WF have a chance to win, it's more about the offense scoring points; than stopping GT's option. Definitely helps that WF will have two weeks to prepare for the option (and as stated above, GT is in a sandwich spot which helps), but even with that slight edge, GT is going to score some points. For WF to win the offense is going to have score more than the 14 it put up against Clemson, 19 against FSU or 20 against App. WF is going to need at least 24, and probably 27+ to win. Perhaps, I am deluding myself, but I think that the offense has the weapons to score high 20s+ against an average to slight above average Power 5 conference defense, but WF will have to prove that.

UT scored 21 in the second half against Ga Tech and has only scored 33 points in their last three games against FBS opponents.

Tech has played a very soft schedule this year with wins over UNC-CH and Pitt. We'll know more about them after the Miami game.

I think Dawson and Jaboree will do well against the big B back, but am pretty concerned about their ability to make a quick read and get out in space to tackle the A backs. Bates is probably going to have to make a ton of tackles. I feel like Bassey is solid against the run for a CB as well.

When you play the option, cornerback may not be the first position to come to mind on defense as being a big key, but it really is especially against Tech. The CB's have to help stop the option game, but they also have to be very disciplined in not cheating up too much to stop the run and letting Tech hit a big pass play. I always thought corner would be a very frustrating position to play against an option team.

Clawson with two weeks to prepare dooms the GT offense. Williams graduate. Fucking genius. You can go ahead and put this in the win column for the Deacs. Hope you have a good punter. Gonna need it.

Clawson with two weeks to prepare dooms the GT offense. Williams graduate. Fucking genius. You can go ahead and put this in the win column for the Deacs. Hope you have a good punter. Gonna need it.

Sometimes the offensive playcalling screams genius, with no common-sense unfortunately.

time of possession

time of possession

time of possession

we must score but just as importantly we must hold the ball

when our very good defense gets tired, as it did vs. FSU, it will crack

limit the 3 and outs and don't turn it over

GT is 3-1. The Jackets beat Jacksonville State, and the two worst teams in their division (Pitt and UNC) -- all at home. GT has not played a game outside of Atlanta yet. Really hard to know how good Tech is. Agree with Biff that the Miami game will bring some clarity on that point.

GT is 3-1. The Jackets beat Jacksonville State, and the two worst teams in their division (Pitt and UNC) -- all at home. GT has not played a game outside of Atlanta yet. Really hard to know how good Tech is. Agree with Biff that the Miami game will bring some clarity on that point.
Our special teams are absolute garbage, our defense is questionable. The offense has been terrific (with the "little" problem of fumblitis).

Feels like a 7-4 / 8-3 season at best. The special teams cost the UT game and will cost at least one more too (probably UGa, because that's how we roll). It's hard to explain just how fucking terrible they are.

The Wake game is crucial. It's a must win for us, but where it falls on the schedule does us no favors and Wake is a good team on top of it.

Our special teams are absolute garbage, our defense is questionable. The offense has been terrific (with the "little" problem of fumblitis).

Feels like a 7-4 / 8-3 season at best. The special teams cost the UT game and will cost at least one more too (probably UGa, because that's how we roll). It's hard to explain just how fucking terrible they are.

The Wake game is crucial. It's a must win for us, but where it falls on the schedule does us no favors and Wake is a good team on top of it.

Yeah, Tech is going to lose to Georgia because of a missed extra point or a kick return. Good prediction.

Except to those that understand our offense.

I understand our offense just fine, I also have enough sense to know that running the delayed handoff between the tackles on 3rd down and any more than 2 yards to go just doesn't work.

what's it like to be the fan of an option team? does it get old after, like, five years?

Back