• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WF @ GT October 21 7 pm on ESPN2 or 7:30 on ESPNU

Our program should run this offense.

Exactly. I've never understood why fans (especially Wake fans) turn their nose up at running the option.

Paul Johnson has provided the blueprint of how it can work on a Power 5 level and it would be a perfect fit at Wake.

i'm worried about that pitch sweep they run. I can see them busting some long gains with that play. hopefully they turn it over on those types of pitches and they get a little gun-shy.

True... but I'm more worried about Tech hitting big plays in the passing game as unfortunately our secondary has shown the propensity to shit the bed at the worst possible times.

If we get to 30 points, we have a shot. But we haven't scored 30 against a defense ranked above 93 in the defensive rankings (at least by ppg) yet.

I love the option offense, and would be happy to have WF run it. Awesome to watch an option team when the offense is humming.

That said, it's hard to recruit offensive players that think they are going to the NFL (Calvin Johnson being a massive exception), when you run a true option offense. Naturally, it limits the QBs and receivers that you recruit, but also impacts the lineman you recruit because option blocking schemes are completely different than NFL blocking schemes. The option is perfect for service academies, even non-Power V school like Tulane or GA Southern, but most Power V schools have the expectation that you are recruiting players that pick your school with the hope of preparing them for the NFL (maybe WF does not fall in that category). You exclude yourself from that conversation from multiple position groups if you run a pure option.

Last edited:
Exactly. I've never understood why fans (especially Wake fans) turn their nose up at running the option.

Paul Johnson has provided the blueprint of how it can work on a Power 5 level and it would be a perfect fit at Wake.

Very true. When we hired Grobe, I was excited because he ran the triple option at Ohio. I wanted to see it at Wake. Unfortunately, it seems Wellman, perhaps getting influence from big donors, pushed him to run a more conventional offense. And don't get me started with posters on this board who think its "a dead end for making the playoffs", Wake never has a chance to make the playoffs playing a conventional offense anyway. I'll gladly take what Johnson has established at GT.

Gailey wasn't an option coach and CJ caught like 80 balls his final year at Tech.

Maybe he’s thinking of Demaryius. But he was also recruited by Gailey.

Somehow CPJ Was able to lock up GOAT Stephen Hill though

Last edited:
Tech hasn't played a top 60 S&P rush defense yet this year. Wake is ranked 31st*. Should be a fun battle.

This is a huge game for both teams. With a loss, Tech has a tough road to make a bowl - they're underdogs to Clemson, slight underdogs to Virginia and Virginia Tech (both basically tossups), favored over Duke, and underdogs to Georgia. However, all their remaining games (including Wake) they're between a 30% and 65% chance of winning except for Clemson.

*edited for error

Last edited:
True... but I'm more worried about Tech hitting big plays in the passing game as unfortunately our secondary has shown the propensity to shit the bed at the worst possible times.

as in, when they are tired

which they will be in the 4th quarter tomorrow night unless our offense takes a big step up and controls some clock

Tech hasn't played a top 60 S&P rush defense yet this year. Wake is ranked 31st*. Should be a fun battle.

This is a huge game for both teams. With a loss, Tech has a tough road to make a bowl - they're underdogs to Clemson, slight underdogs to Virginia and Virginia Tech (both basically tossups), favored over Duke, and underdogs to Georgia. However, all their remaining games (including Wake) they're between a 30% and 65% chance of winning except for Clemson.

*edited for error

Tech will get a waiver if they only have 5 wins because the UCF game was cancelled, even though UCF probably would have worked them.

Naturally, it limits the QBs and receivers that you recruit, but also impacts the lineman you recruit because option blocking schemes are completely different than NFL blocking schemes. The option is perfect for service academies, even non-Power V school like Tulane or GA Southern, but most Power V schools have the expectation that you are recruiting players that pick your school with the hope of preparing them for the NFL (maybe WF does not fall in that category). You exclude yourself from that conversation from multiple position groups if you run a pure option.

Correct wrt the recruiting "puddle" for Wake becoming even smaller if we moved to a pure option.

However, if a program like GA Tech with more tradition and resources located in a fertile HS recruiting area can do it, why not Wake?

Very true. When we hired Grobe, I was excited because he ran the triple option at Ohio. I wanted to see it at Wake. Unfortunately, it seems Wellman, perhaps getting influence from big donors, pushed him to run a more conventional offense.

Why do you believe Wellman (w/ influence from big donors) pushed Grobe away from the option towards a more conventional offense?

Why do you believe Wellman (w/ influence from big donors) pushed Grobe away from the option towards a more conventional offense?

For the same reason so many on this board oppose it: It supposedly (1) is boring; (2) negatively affects recruiting; and (3) creates a ceiling on a team's achievements. A majority of fans wanting primarily to be "entertained" as opposed to primarily wanting to win as many games as possible strongly dislike a rushing-based offense like the triple option. That's what I've picked up over the years.

Back