• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The religious right's hypocrisy now on full display

The church didn't exist between the new testament and the reformation. Ask any member of a reformed church what they know about church history.

Ok, I will chime in a little...

America, well John Adams May have said it best “As the Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion” -Treaty of Tripoli, 1797.

Having said that the Bible should only be viewed as a ‘how to book’ and not law.

For example the date of Jesus’ birth was changed about 200 years after Jesus, by humans, and added to a pagan holiday. Even more so, the books of the New Testament was written 60-80 years after Jesus’ death...how can it be accurate? Well it’s not. There was no noted Census to make the, travel back to Bethlehem. There was no killing of babies by King Herod (who actually died in 4BC, so Jesus would have been born in 8-6 BC), also in no text besides the Bible and would have been. Another one...the “He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her.” is not in any of the oldest and different version of the Book of John. It was added by humans much later, for an example of what he might of said.

Long story short...the Bible (New Testament, in which Cristians should be following over the Old Testament) is most likely a fable, of sorts. First, the idea of taking a book with 0% validation about a God of 0% validation that has been manipulated over the last 2000 years is [enter your own thought here]. It has good lessons that are being ignored (love thy neighbor) and instead manipulated to promote bigotry (anti-gay, primarily Old Testament) and ignorance (faith > science, i.e. earth is 5000 years old, etc.).

Rant over

I find myself wondering if anyone else believes that the "holy bible" belongs to a totally different civilization, and a totally different way of living. I sure do.

I find myself wondering if anyone else believes that the "holy bible" belongs to a totally different civilization, and a totally different way of living. I sure do.

The ironic thing here is the oldest groups (Jews and Roman Catholics) mostly see "Holy Bible" as an allegory rather than an historically accurate document that more recent sects believe it is.

Sure. That is the mainstream understanding of the Bible, or at least it was until the fundamentalists hijacked American Christianity. The Episcopal Church, for example, places a great deal of emphasis on understanding the context in which the Bible was written and seeks to extract from it universal truths and lessons applicable to the way we live today and what we know about the world today, rather than treating it as an instruction manual.

Sure. That is the mainstream understanding of the Bible, or at least it was until the fundamentalists hijacked American Christianity. The Episcopal Church, for example, places a great deal of emphasis on understanding the context in which the Bible was written and seeks to extract from it universal truths and lessons applicable to the way we live today and what we know about the world today, rather than treating it as an instruction manual.

I've read that a majority of American Christians were Mainline Protestants (Methodists, Episcopalians, Presbyterians, Lutherans, Quakers, etc.) throughout our entire history up to the 1960s, and they pretty much set the tone in most of America in religious matters, not Evangelicals (or fundamentalists, really). In the sixties the numbers of Mainline Protestants began to steadily decline in the US (a process that has continued to the present day), and in the 70s they were replaced as the dominant Christian group in America by Protestant Evangelicals. Which, in retrospect, has been a terrible thing for the church as a whole.

This country would be a hell of a lot better if evangelicals didn’t exist, it’s a completely unique American problem and it’s getting worse as their power grows but numbers shrink. Just put it in the hypocrite pile and lack of self awareness. All scared that Muslim immigrants will come in mass like in Europe, insert their religion into American life , meanwhile insert their shitty views into all aspects of life.

Religious fundamentalism is not unique to the US. We just call them evangelicals instead of fundamentalists.

Fundamentalists who hate other fundamentalists have too much political power over people who would otherwise be fine just leaving them alone to worship in peace.

Lev. 18:22 in the Luther 1545, if you can believe "Jesus-is-lord.com", is:
For a more detailed explanation try www.forgeonline.org. Just my feeling but in the Middle Ages it was not uncommon for people of low means to entrust a young male to a more well to do male for care and “mentorship”, think Leonardo da Vinci and his companion and ward for many years Solai( I think this is his name ), perhaps Luther felt that man boy sin was more problematic or perhaps that was his translation from the Roman Catholic Latin bible. Let me know if you dig up anything. The forge article is dated March 21, 2019.
Du sollst nicht bei Knaben liegen wie beim Weibe; denn es ist ein Greuel.

And "knaben" is unambiguously "boy".

So now I'm curious what Luther was up to. He certainly didn't get that from the Vulgate.

Pastor's larger argument is still BS, but they seemed to know something about this. What's Luther up to? Gotta find his other sources. Too bad Erasmas didn't have a convenient OT for him to translate too.

I think when folks start interpreting the bible as fact, as opposed to metaphor, that's where the trouble comes in. The evangelicals all view the bible as fact, and themselves as the "chosen people". Any such interpretation is pretty poor spiritual fare. There are a lot of wonderful things in the bible, but viewing it as fact is akin to going to a wonderful restaurant and eating the menu instead of the food.

All scared that Muslim immigrants will come in mass like in Europe, insert their religion into American life , meanwhile insert their shitty views into all aspects of life.

You didn't intend it this way, but your malapropism makes for an excellent religion joke.

I searched the site, and I can't find the article you refer to. Can you link it directly?

Like many areas of contemporary politics, the Bible doesn’t have much to say about American immigration policy. Yes, you can derive a principle that we should treat the people trying to enter — like all people — with decency and dignity, but the Bible doesn’t speak to whether they should be granted entry or not, etc., or immigration policy more broadly. The concept of citizenship and participation in a culture were just totally different in Biblical times. Lifting quotes from the Bible on this topic is too acontextual, as it often is as applied to contemporary politics.

Are you suggesting that Bronze Age mythology isn’t a complete and thorough guide in how to live in modern society?

Actually, no, that’s a different argument.

I’m saying we, as a society, shouldn’t look to the Bible for guidance in most areas of American policy, including but not limited to immigration, and that to do so would be anachronistic and acontextual, not to mention that doing so imposes one’s religious views on others.

As far as how an individual chooses to live in modern society, I’m not expressing an opinion, other than to say I don’t see any reason why adherence to Bronze Age mythology would be a problem.

Mike Pence says no.

Back