• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Meltdown thread

Hate to say it but with the talent now on hand, [NR] wins both the Ga. Southern and the Liberty game.

DM was like a deer in the headlights at last night's post game presser. :(

I can't tell you how to fix this, but I can tell you what I DON'T want to happen:

1. Wellman ever hiring another basketball coach for Wake Forest. Borrow Buddie from Furman for that.
2. Manning coaching the incoming recruits.

So - I guess that leaves us with just shutting the program down for a decade or so. :noidea:

Hasn't Manning tinkered and used odd, puzzling, crazy line ups to start every season? We are all confused. Then as the season goes on they improve (mostly) and he has a better understanding of the teams strengths and weaknesses.

I'm going to stick with that or I may lose it. Liberty. Jesus.

I am sure it has happened but I can't think of examples at present. Are there any recent examples of all-star caliber NBA players becoming outstanding college coaches?

HUH? I guess JC didn't improve.I guess Dinos didn't improve. I guess Bryant hasn't improved. I guess Brandon hasn't improved.

To be fair, Brandon really hasn't improved. Your point stands with the other 3, IMO.

Brandon had a terrible game last night, but he improved a lot from the beginning of last year to the end of it. At the beginning of last year, he got lost on D all the time. He also tried way too hard on D and got himself into problems. By the end of the season, he was better than average on D. At the beginning of the season, he also had only one speed with the ball, by the end of the season he was seeing the openings our sets created.

People get way too excited about one really good game or one really bad one.

Last edited:
My favorite Stan Lewter moment last night was when they were talking about why Liberty was playing Wake Forest before the Paradise Jam (to charter a plane together), and Stan says (verbatim):

"Our thoughts continue to the folks in the islands."

I'm sorry, what?

He was giving a shoutout to the people of the USVI.

Wes Miller wins both the Ga. Southern and the Liberty game. You heard it here first.

Sela.

To be fair, Brandon really hasn't improved. Your point stands with the other 3, IMO.

Not sure any of them improved all that much. Dinos went from a stretch 4 to a slower poor shooting but adequate post player. Bryant improved some but how could you not from freshman to junior. He still does some of the same things. Hard to say about Collins. His production per minute was phenomenal his freshman year. He was averaging around 7 and 5 in about 7 minutes a game. He was foul prone, but a smart coach would use up all those fouls and get the most you can from him. He was fantastic from the moment he stepped on the court but DM preferred to let him learn by watching Thomas.

Chill is regressing and is lost.

With all the constructive and useful feedback for DM and the coaches on this here msg board, we should be rollin' by the middle of next week, just in time for the post-Turkey malaise and pre-exam doldrums that always make early December a smorgasbord of uneven and frustrating basketball. Better enjoy the modicum of progress we show at "paradise" y'all (hahaha right for $30??) cuz it ain't gonna get significantly better any time soon.

I am sure it has happened but I can't think of examples at present. Are there any recent examples of all-star caliber NBA players becoming outstanding college coaches?

Not many NBA all star players want to be college coaches. If they want to coach, they typically coach in the NBA. Even fewer pay the dues of working their way up from the lowest levels of NCAA coaching.

Chill is regressing and is lost.

Chill most definitely has the potential to be a savvy and skilled player for us who can hit the open three and occasionally break some ankles when the opportunity arises. In fact, I thought as he gained strength, he'd become a very good drive n' dish kinda guy, but right now he is most definitely forcing things and trying to do too much. Perhaps he has internalized too much of Danny's talk about how he's been so close to the program for so long, it's like he's been here an extra year, yadda yadda.

Just slow down Chill, let the game come to you and get your teammates involved. That's what they need, not unbelievable acrobatics under the rim on a doomed drive into the lane. If Danny insists on letting Craw play more off the ball and hone his game for the bigs, then you have got to be our cerebral floor general, an extension of the coaches, not a hero.

Chill most definitely has the potential to be a savvy and skilled player for us who can hit the open three and occasionally break some ankles when the opportunity arises. In fact, I thought as he gained strength, he'd become a very good drive n' dish kinda guy, but right now he is most definitely forcing things and trying to do too much. Perhaps he has internalized too much of Danny's talk about how he's been so close to the program for so long, it's like he's been here an extra year, yadda yadda.

Just slow down Chill, let the game come to you and get your teammates involved. That's what they need, not unbelievable acrobatics under the rim on a doomed drive into the lane. If Danny insists on letting Craw play more off the ball and hone his game for the bigs, then you have got to be our cerebral floor general, an extension of the coaches, not a hero.

I fear that Chill carries the burden of wanting to be like his dad, which leads him to trying way too hard to doing way too much. I agree with you that he needs to slow down and make the easy pass, don't force shots and protect the ball.

Keys to salvaging the season:

1- Scrap for EVERY single loose ball and rebound. Just about every possession, we had guys drifting away from the basket, not following their shots, not even making an effort to get a rebound. I mean, this was like 8th grade YMCA level bad.

2- MAKE THE EASY PASS and slow down when necessary. Our guards try to fit the ball in passing lanes that just aren't there. They are never going to be there because this is college basketball, not HS. We need to have confidence that we can score other ways than on fast breaks. If so, maybe that'll limit the forced passes and turn overs.

3- Post Defense. Okeke looks like our best post defender and he's a walk on, with all due respect to Sunday. Doral can swat the ball occasionally but he's going to have to figure out how to use his massive frame to dominate the paint defensively.

The more I think about it I think DM is onto something with this 4 guard magic, but he isn't going quite far enough to get the results we want. Time to roll out the 5 guard line up and lets just forget about the bigs. Who cares about D and rebounding???? Let's just run, run, run and run some more and run circles around other bigs and make them play to our strengths which appears to not be shooting the 3 or scoring much....

If you don't mind being crazy- time to go all out nutso!:tard:

There's no way to legitimately evaluate Sarr after a short stint upon coming back from an injury. He's played international ball at high levels. Those games mean much more than last night.

Back